Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's make America Grate Again.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,528 Times in 1,299 Posts

Default Re: Let's make America Grate Again.

According the WHO (2015 figures) life expectance in the UK is 81.2 years across all sexes, and the US is 79.3 years.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,113 Times in 573 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_of_Clouds View Post
    According the WHO (2015 figures) life expectance in the UK is 81.2 years across all sexes, and the US is 79.3 years.
    And most of Africa shouldn't expect to see 60 years old.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SIR View Post
    High average life expectancy... higher than the UK.
    Not true. Life expectancy in USA is lower than even Slovenia, let alone UK. Actually, USA falls behind Slovenia in most measurable indices, and I have never heard anyone say we’re a great country, including our own citizens.

It gave me a nice chuckle when a major liberal US news outlet basically called Melania Trumps country (Slovenia) a shithole after Trumps shithole comment. If we’re a shithole, USA is one as well. But then again, from my experience, average American thinks we’re a former USSR satellite state, so one can’t really have high expectations. And honestly, why would an American know anything about a country that has the population of a NYC district. That’s like expecting average European to know stuff about...city of Bismarck (USA, ND).
    Last edited by adhoc; March 29th, 2018 at 01:15 AM.

Thanks

Slovenia, home of Elan skis, pioneers of the "shape ski" revolution.

Thanks

Right. But your average American could not state a single fact about us. And that's perfectly fine, as we're one of the most irrelevant countries in human history. I just want to say that when one can say USA is on par or below Slovenia [in something], that's not a positive statement. It's positive to be on par with ... Austria or Denmark, for example.

Thanks

Cool Re: Let's make America Grate Again.

Quote Originally Posted by adhoc View Post
    Not true. Life expectancy in USA is lower than even Slovenia, let alone UK.
    Maybe the figures I saw were out of date... or measured differently.

Quote Originally Posted by Scooby921 View Post
    Slovenia, home of Elan skis
    And UF-PRO!!

Thanks

Lmao. I find it funny seeing all this tactical gear and recognize the buildings and environment. We have some of the lowest crime in the world. If you don’t bang somebody elses wife, chances of getting attacked is like winning the lottery. This is clearly not made for the domestic market.

Edit: hahaha, I watched some of their other videos on youtube. They’re shot on the streets where the biggest crime is the bars close at 2300 already, and the tone of the video is same as some Hollywoods save the world scenario.
    Last edited by adhoc; March 30th, 2018 at 04:12 AM.

Thanks

Of course, you do still have special forces military and police units... also, UF-PRO's products are well made and technologically sophisticated.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 786 Posts

Not true. Life expectancy in USA is lower than even Slovenia, let alone UK. Actually, USA falls behind Slovenia in most measurable indices, and I have never heard anyone say we’re a great country, including our own citizens.
    Well, life expectancy is convoluted with genetics and lifestyle. Not surprised we aren't tops. Maybe it's got something to do with drug abuse and obesity or that we don't get enough sleep or something. Who knows? And then there's stress. I would imagine that life expectancy is dropping in the US right now because so many people here are suffering from Trump Derangement Syndrome and are stressing themselves out over the impending end of the world. God forbid that we should have secure borders. Oh, the humanity! And all the while they fiercely and relentlessly advocate for restricting 1A and 2A rights (because people are dangerous, and who knows what they might say or do next if they remain free..and...<gasp> armed). In turn that's stressing out libertarians and conservatives who can't help but notice that the erstwhile liberal left has morphed into a syndicate of cultural Marxists who literally hate them, blame them for every social problem there ever was (including those precipitated by previous varieties of Marxists), and would very much like to seem them and all their "hateful" ideas repressed. Yeah, life expectancy is probably not something we're in position to excel at right now.

Incidentally, if one wishes to step back from the brink, from this irrational frenzy of worry whipped up by social and mainstream media, some actual data like https://www.humanprogress.org/ might help one decompress a little. It's hard for good news to generate the clicks that bad news can. Personally, I think that's the root of it all.
    --
    Mike

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mhosea For This Useful Post:

calamus (February 4th, 2019), VertOlive (May 16th, 2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mhosea View Post
    God forbid that we should have secure borders. Oh, the humanity! And all the while they fiercely and relentlessly advocate for restricting 1A and 2A rights (because people are dangerous, and who knows what they might say or do next if they remain free..and...<gasp> armed).
    It would seem the same forces that have blighted Britain greatly, and Europe also but to a lesser extent, are attempting the same tricks in the US... the question is who, how, and to what end?

Thanks

I wouldn’t have expected to agree with people on this forum on political issues, but here we are. It’s sad to see America slowly giving up their freedom for false sense of security.

That’s easy to answer SIR; it’s the people you’re not allowed to criticize.

Thanks

it’s the people you’re not allowed to criticize.
    or... because those who you may think of first may just be pawns of those who you might think of last - those who are so well established we forget they are subtly embedded and overlook the demonstrable continuity of their history; but it's only a suggestion.

Thanks

How can you make America great and put America first by increasing my healthcare costs by 20 times in the first year in office? How can you put America first by taking away healthcare from the poor and labeling the sick as uninsurable? This is a dark dark time for the USA. It makes me hope that we eventually rid ourselves of the executive office for good and develop a culture of voting in the midterms.

Thanks

This is just my opinion - and outsider's one at that - but I would like to see an end to financially-based lobbying together with severe consequences for corruption. Politicians have to be held accountable to an agreed standard, otherwise what you get is what you are seeing now - a President who lies on average 6 times a day since taking office, with a staff who blithely overlook such things.

Also, it beggars belief (mine) that the public can overlook such egregious falsity in their leaders when we are in an age where simple fact checking is available to almost anyone in the US.

Further, I would like to see press people stand up and call-out the liars at conferences. Otherwise they are participating in accepting the lies. In fact, I wish there were more people who stood up and did this at any rally where a politician blatantly lies.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Empty_of_Clouds For This Useful Post:

Gobblecup (May 6th, 2018), myu (May 6th, 2018)

Thanks

I don’t know about that...have you been watching the situation? There’s A LOT of backlash.

Thanks

Not nearly enough.

Thanks

This is just my opinion - and outsider's one at that - but I would like to see an end to financially-based lobbying together with severe consequences for corruption. Politicians have to be held accountable to an agreed standard, otherwise what you get is what you are seeing now - a President who lies on average 6 times a day since taking office, with a staff who blithely overlook such things.

Also, it beggars belief (mine) that the public can overlook such egregious falsity in their leaders when we are in an age where simple fact checking is available to almost anyone in the US.

Further, I would like to see press people stand up and call-out the liars at conferences. Otherwise they are participating in accepting the lies. In fact, I wish there were more people who stood up and did this at any rally where a politician blatantly lies.
    The free ticket to lie must end. While trying to form a "truth-sayer" department or institution of truth is fraught with problems, there SHOULD be some kind of accuracy measure provided at debates. Factual accuracy of statements can be categorized in various ways. There is of course the broad labels of True, False, True-False, and False-True. "True-False" means the statement is mostly true, but partly false. "False-True" means the statement is mostly false, but partly true. Those partly ambiguous statements must then have a weight to them, some kind of scale on true and false. Then we can know which candidates are mostly truthful and mostly liars.

Where ALL of these politicians go awry is spinning facts in their own crafted statements that either distort actual facts or state them out of context, bending their truth to suit their own agenda.

What we need is truly objective scrutiny. I think that once we have sophisticated enough computer systems, this could be achieved as long as information is properly authenticated. Sources will have an accuracy score.

The other issue is that for a notable number of people, emotion and belief will outweigh facts. They won't fact-check, nor believe people who pontificate the facts, if their own beliefs are being challenged. And THAT needs to be addressed somehow. I would hope that one day we'll have a savant or genius who can come up with the right psychological recipe for helping people to break away from holding onto falsehoods and accept truth. There are too many people corrupted by counter-fact thinking, to the point where our political course is getting knocked into chaos severe enough to disrupt society.
    Last edited by myu; May 7th, 2018 at 12:04 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by myu View Post

The free ticket to lie must end. While trying to form a "truth-sayer" department or institution of truth is fraught with problems, there SHOULD be some kind of accuracy measure provided at debates. Factual accuracy of statements can be categorized in various ways. There is of course the broad labels of True, False, True-False, and False-True. "True-False" means the statement is mostly true, but partly false. "False-True" means the statement is mostly false, but partly true. Those partly ambiguous statements must then have a weight to them, some kind of scale on true and false. Then we can know which candidates are mostly truthful and mostly liars.

Where ALL of these politicians go awry is spinning facts in their own crafted statements that either distort actual facts or state them out of context, bending their truth to suit their own agenda.

What we need is truly objective scrutiny. I think that once we have sophisticated enough computer systems, this could be achieved as long as information is properly authenticated. Sources will have an accuracy score.

The other issue is that for a notable number of people, emotion and belief will outweigh facts. They won't fact-check, nor believe people who pontificate the facts, if their own beliefs are being challenged. And THAT needs to be addressed somehow. I would hope that one day we'll have a savant or genius who can come up with the right psychological recipe for helping people to break away from holding onto falsehoods and accept truth. There are too many people corrupted by counter-fact thinking, to the point where our political course is getting knocked into chaos severe enough to disrupt society.
    I can only address US culture and have no idea what other nations might be like; but in the US we seem to be working very hard to create a society who have no idea how to think and are unwilling to even attempt to learn the basics of discrimination.

There is a local Toyota dealer currently advertising "Reclaimed Titled Cars" at $99.00 a month. Sounds great. Likely someone who could not make the monthlies and so had the car repossessed.

WRONG!

A Reclaimed title actually has a very specific meaning; it is a Salvage Title, one that says the car was damaged so badly it was written off as a total loss. Often it is a car that was in a flood and filled with water for days or weeks or one with frame damage beyond what can be straightened or other really not good features.

But the sale goes on. People are buying these cars that look great but that are not the gems a can or two of "New Car Smell' will fix.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to jar For This Useful Post:

myu (June 2nd, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 786 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by myu View Post
    https://www.amazon.com/Righteous-Min.../dp/0307455777

--
    Mike

Thanks