Page 15 of 30 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's make America Grate Again.

Thanks

Default Re: Let's make America Grate Again.

I’m hoping the former authoritarian president from Brazil is flown to Alaska.

Thanks

And forced to wear bike shorts belong to a tour biker and a respirator from a dead Covid patient.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,193 Times in 1,423 Posts

I admit to some amusement over the GOP struggles to agree on a speaker. It certainly doesn't help that under Trump the GOP even abandoned a party platform (well, it was one page long)....

Thanks

I am reading Why We Did It by Tim Miller. He is not excusing the way some of his party went along with Trump, but he explained that it is a game and that is the way it was for him when he worked for McCain's election bid. McCain made some statements about gay marriage that would have directly affected Miller, who is gay, but he still felt the position was the right one for the moment.
    “He has shown you, O man, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.” Micah 6:8

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TSherbs View Post
    Hey Kaz, can one be a judge in Michigan without a law degree (law license)?

CONSTITUTION OF MICHIGAN OF 1963
    § 19 Courts of record; seal, qualifications of judges.
    Sec. 19. (1) The supreme court, the court of appeals, the circuit court, the probate court and other courts
    designated as such by the legislature shall be courts of record and each shall have a common seal. Justices and
    judges of courts of record must be persons who are licensed to practice law in this state.

(2) To be qualified to serve as a judge of a trial court, a judge of the court of appeals, or a justice of the
    supreme court, a person shall have been admitted to the practice of law for at least 5 years.
    This subsection
    shall not apply to any judge or justice appointed or elected to judicial office prior to the date on which this
    subsection becomes part of the constitution.
    (3) No person shall be elected or appointed to a judicial office after reaching the age of 70 years. (emphasis added)
    History: Const. 1963, Art. VI, § 19, Eff. Jan. 1, 1964;Am. 1996, S.J.R. D, approved Nov. 5, 1996, Eff. Dec. 21, 1996.

Hey CN, can one become a Justice of the US Supreme Court without a law degree or license?
    No peeking first: Article III, Section 1
    https://constitution.congress.gov/co...ion/article-3/
    Why is Levi Woodbury, and why/when did he become germane to this issue?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to kazoolaw For This Useful Post:

TSherbs (January 5th, 2023)

Thanks

I admit to some amusement over the GOP struggles to agree on a speaker. It certainly doesn't help that under Trump the GOP even abandoned a party platform (well, it was one page long)....
    The circus continues (11 voting sessions, and counting...)

Thanks

The circus continues (11 voting sessions, and counting...)
    If it was the Democrats doing the same thing you'd be gushing over their incredible display of "democracy in action."
    But given it is the Republicans......... it is "amusing" and a "circus."
    Another astounding display of your hypocrisy when it comes to all things Republican vs. Democrat.

Thanks

I may be mistaken, but I don’t think Ted is a Democrat. He may be like me, a person without a party, but a participant nonetheless. He does vote. Some don’t. Those that don’t still bear responsibility.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Naill View Post
    I may be mistaken, but I don’t think Ted is a Democrat.
    All this does is prove what we have known for a long time. You can't read. Or, at least you cannot comprehend what you read.
    I do admit that all I know about his political leanings is what he has posted here again and again and again. But, on the basis of what he has written here, how can any person with even grade school reading ability come to any other conclusion?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 724Seney View Post
    I may be mistaken, but I don’t think Ted is a Democrat.
    All this does is prove what we have known for a long time. You can't read. Or, at least you cannot comprehend what you read.
    I do admit that all I know about his political leanings is what he has posted here again and again and again. But, on the basis of what he has written here, how can any person with even grade school reading ability come to any other conclusion?
    How can any person come to a different conclusion? They could if they were reading objectively. I don't post unsubstantiated or non-evidenced based information nor does Ted from what I have read. Have we posted information critical of liberals, of course. Have we looked at both sides of an issue, often.

It appears to me Ted reads broadly from many sources, so do I. That we don't "toe the company line", or what has become of the Republicans does not make us a Democrat. As William Miller confessed in his book, "Why We Did It", he and the others are playing a game. What is going on right now is a game. It looks pretty stupidly played, but it is what it is. Ted is right; it is amusing.
    “He has shown you, O man, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.” Micah 6:8

Thanks

From today's email....remember George Conway?

"This will not sit well with the rest of the conference. Lawyer and Washington Post columnist George Conway wrote, “I’m no political scientist, but it does strike me that a guy who negotiates by giving stuff up and and getting nothing in return probably wouldn’t make a good leader of a legislative body.”

"If McCarthy does eventually win the speakership, he will have empowered a small group of extremists to control the House, and the next two years will be a constant fight as this tiny minority can hamstring the government. One of the extremists, Ralph Norman (R-SC), who wanted Trump to declare martial law in 2021 in order to retain the White House, said that McCarthy will get his vote only if he agrees not to raise the debt ceiling and will instead shut down the government and default on the national debt. "

"Tomorrow, on January 6, Biden will honor people who distinguished themselves by protecting the country during the 2020–2021 attempt to overturn the 2020 presidential election, awarding them the Presidential Citizens Medal, the second-highest civilian award in the United States. Recipients include Capitol Police and law enforcement officers, election workers, and elected officials who withstood pressure to lie for Trump.

One of those getting a medal, posthumously, is U.S. Capitol Police officer Brian Sicknick, who died on January 7, 2021, after a series of strokes. Today, Sicknick’s estate asked for $10 million in damages from former president Trump, suing him for assault, negligence, violating Sicknick’s civil rights, and wrongful death, saying Trump incited the violence of January 6 that contributed to Sicknick’s death.

And on that note, two years after the January 6th insurrection, it is notable that Trump’s name has barely been mentioned during the fight over the House speakership. After McCarthy had lost three ballots, Trump urged the 20 extremists, some of whom have been his staunchest supporters, to “VOTE FOR KEVIN, CLOSE THE DEAL, TAKE THE VICTORY.” They ignored him. And for all the threats that the Republicans would make Trump himself House speaker, so far he has gotten just one vote. "
    https://heathercoxrichardson.substac...m_medium=email

WOW!!!
    Last edited by Chuck Naill; January 6th, 2023 at 06:33 AM.

Thanks

(Thanks, Chuck. I don't pay much attention to charges of bias. We all have biases, and I admit mine here repeatedly.)

@Seney, have you thought any more about telling us a little bit more about yourself? What party are you registered with? Who did you vote for for president in 2016? In 2020? Who did you vote for senator in your state? Are you old enough to vote?

I am a registered Independent who votes mostly Democratic. I have never missed an election since I turned 18 (over 40 years ago).

You?
    Last edited by TSherbs; January 6th, 2023 at 06:34 AM.

Thanks

As I have said before, when I was first able to vote, I voted for Jimmy Carter. The reason was my family were once dirt-poor Roosevelt Democrats having lived through the "Hoover Days". My first Republican vote was for Ronald Reagan, followed with Bush 1, Dole, Bush 2, McCain, Romney, H. Clinton, and Biden. As Reagan said in the 1930's when he became a Republican, he didn't move away from them, but that moved away from him.

Remember Howard Dean? https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...D696&FORM=VIRE

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Chuck Naill For This Useful Post:

TSherbs (January 6th, 2023)

Thanks

I don't post unsubstantiated or non-evidenced based information nor does Ted from what I have read.
    Of all the absurd, ridiculous, completely incorrect things you have claimed over the course of countless threads and innumerable posts...............this one reigns supreme.
    You are a totally lost soul.

Thanks

What, actually try a little consensus governance in the House of Reps??

CNN piece on reaching across the isle to Dems

Thanks

@Seney, have you thought any more about telling us a little bit more about yourself? What party are you registered with? Who did you vote for for president in 2016? In 2020? Who did you vote for senator in your state? Are you old enough to vote?

I am a registered Independent who votes mostly Democratic. I have never missed an election since I turned 18 (over 40 years ago).

You?
    How about it, Seney?

Thanks

You?
    How about it, Seney?
    I am registered as an Independent. My votes have been pretty evenly split among the major parties.
    I have never missed a vote at any level (local, state, federal) since I became old enough to vote.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to 724Seney For This Useful Post:

Chuck Naill (January 6th, 2023)

Thanks

You?
    How about it, Seney?
    I am registered as an Independent. My votes have been pretty evenly split among the major parties.
    I have never missed a vote at any level (local, state, federal) since I became old enough to vote.
    Whom did you vote for president in 2016?

Thanks

What, actually try a little consensus governance in the House of Reps??

CNN piece on reaching across the isle to Dems
    Another piece on McCarthy and the GOP and the chickens now coming home to roost: the legacy of catering to the fringe (and not putting forth a stronger option than Trump in 2016)

Financial Times editorial

Thanks

You?
    How about it, Seney?
    Whom did you vote for president in 2016?
    The better way to phrase that question is "Who did I vote against?"
    And, if I had it to do over again, I would do the same thing.