Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's make America Grate Again.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,281 Times in 1,306 Posts

Default Re: Let's make America Grate Again.

Quote Originally Posted by myu View Post
    For a person that says “The other issue is that for a notable number of people, emotion and belief will outweigh facts. They won't fact-check, nor believe people who pontificate the facts, if their own beliefs are being challenged...”, your posts appear to me to indicate a strong bias and that you might be one of those very people. Are you really interested in the reasonable debate you mentioned in the 2A thread?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to dneal For This Useful Post:

welch (December 30th, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 786 Posts

There’s a sort of test for commitment to reasoned debate. Does the person make a good faith effort to characterize opposing viewpoints accurately and, in whatever aspects are relevant to the topic at hand, completely? Does the person work cooperatively with their opponent to establish the clearest possible expression of their opponent’s position, and then proceed to argue against that? If not, then they’re not committed to reasoned debate, for no honest person interested in applying reason to find truths would see any point to arguing against a strawman, nor would they stoop to the purely political tactic of appealing to emotion rather than reason.
    --
    Mike

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mhosea For This Useful Post:

azkid (September 14th, 2018), dneal (June 12th, 2018)

Thanks

Cool Re: Let's make America Grate Again.

Quote Originally Posted by adhoc View Post
    Lmao. I find it funny seeing all this tactical gear and recognize the buildings and environment. We have some of the lowest crime in the world. If you don’t bang somebody elses wife, chances of getting attacked is like winning the lottery. This is clearly not made for the domestic market.

Edit: hahaha, I watched some of their other videos on youtube. They’re shot on the streets where the biggest crime is the bars close at 2300 already, and the tone of the video is same as some Hollywoods save the world scenario.
    Yeah, I like this one...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dneal View Post
    For a person that says “The other issue is that for a notable number of people, emotion and belief will outweigh facts. They won't fact-check, nor believe people who pontificate the facts, if their own beliefs are being challenged...”, your posts appear to me to indicate a strong bias and that you might be one of those very people. Are you really interested in the reasonable debate you mentioned in the 2A thread?
    You think my post is some debate point? It's not. It's poking fun. Sometimes it's hard to resist, but there are different types of posts people make here.

Trump wouldn't know good diplomacy if it bit him on the ass. He comes from the negotiation school of intimidation for business financial dealings. Political negotiation is a different kind of animal. It's a long term game. It's a delicate balance between challenge and respect. Trump doesn't play that game. He disrespects freely when he feels he holds all the cards. Despite the USA being the strongest player on the board doesn't mean that it remains so if the other players band together. Trump seems to follow the "marital scuff" strategy, whereby you shout and denigrate your spouse until both sides are exhausted from all the stress and tension, to be followed with make-up sex. His insults to other leaders won't be forgotten anytime soon. There was no point in denigrating them. So when Trump leaves, he throws rocks from a distance with his tweets, insulting Trudeau as being dishonest and weak. Reeks of schoolyard bullying, what he employed against his Republican contenders. It's one thing to do it to people of your own party, but for leaders of allied countries? It's disgraceful.

I don't care if trade tariffs have been unfair to the USA--you can negotiate them with intellect and poise, instead of intimidation and insults, and you'll make much more progress.
    Last edited by myu; June 12th, 2018 at 05:04 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to myu For This Useful Post:

Thanks

From NY Times article, Trump Was Outfoxed in Singapore:

The most remarkable aspect of the joint statement was what it didn’t contain. There was nothing about North Korea freezing plutonium and uranium programs, nothing about destroying intercontinental ballistic missiles, nothing about allowing inspectors to return to nuclear sites, nothing about North Korea making a full declaration of its nuclear program, nothing about a timetable, nothing about verification, not even any clear pledge to permanently halt testing of nuclear weapons or long-range missiles.

Kim seems to have completely out-negotiated Trump, and it’s scary that Trump doesn’t seem to realize this. For now Trump has much less to show than past negotiators who hammered out deals with North Korea like the 1994 Agreed Framework, which completely froze the country’s plutonium program with a rigorous monitoring system.

Of course, Trump thinks he's the master negotiator. He doesn't need any political savvy. He'll just "get a good deal." No, he didn't. No, he won't. Given how he blindsided even his own staff with various declarations, I wouldn't be surprised if this was all about TRUMP... spending millions of dollars on a "faux summit", just to set up a situation he could spin into some kind of imagined win for himself and his brazenly ignorant supporters.

The facts of the meeting - the concrete results - they don't matter in the slightest to Trump's base.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to myu For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,281 Times in 1,306 Posts

You think my post is some debate point? It's not. It's poking fun. Sometimes it's hard to resist, but there are different types of posts people make here.

Trump wouldn't know good diplomacy if it bit him on the ass. He comes from the negotiation school of intimidation for business financial dealings. Political negotiation is a different kind of animal. It's a long term game. It's a delicate balance between challenge and respect. Trump doesn't play that game. He disrespects freely when he feels he holds all the cards. Despite the USA being the strongest player on the board doesn't mean that it remains so if the other players band together. Trump seems to follow the "marital scuff" strategy, whereby you shout and denigrate your spouse until both sides are exhausted from all the stress and tension, to be followed with make-up sex. His insults to other leaders won't be forgotten anytime soon. There was no point in denigrating them. So when Trump leaves, he throws rocks from a distance with his tweets, insulting Trudeau as being dishonest and weak. Reeks of schoolyard bullying, what he employed against his Republican contenders. It's one thing to do it to people of your own party, but for leaders of allied countries? It's disgraceful.

I don't care if trade tariffs have been unfair to the USA--you can negotiate them with intellect and poise, instead of intimidation and insults, and you'll make much more progress.
    Not sure what all that was about. I notice you posted about having a civil debate (independent of the topic). I was just asking, because your posts seem to indicate otherwise.

Thanks

Not sure what all that was about. I notice you posted about having a civil debate (independent of the topic). I was just asking, because your posts seem to indicate otherwise.
    "Are you really interested in the reasonable debate", but you suggested I don't seem capable of that as you believe I only argue from opinions and not facts.

But here's a fact -- the G7 summit was a diplomatic disaster for the USA. Relations are very unsettled with our allies who attended, hence the remarks from Trudeau... and the crass zinger from Trump to follow. And yet, when challenged by a reporter about Trump's claims that all allied relationships are at a "10", Trump asked for his identity then when he learned it was CNN ripped into him for that, with more "fake news" zingers. Talk about not being able to have any proper, productive informational interchanges between the president and reporters. Any question that is either too hard for him to tackle or that he deems as drawing negative attention to him, Trump side-steps giving any response to the question and then just insults people. MAGA.

Last edited by myu; June 12th, 2018 at 07:10 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

Default Economic realities

So world economic reality.

Trump says the EU is a trading foe.

World GDP figures are in.

Largest economy in the world today: China.
    Next: EU
    In third place: US

Basic Canada-US-Mexico NAFTA figures.
    Mexico now a larger economy than Canada.
    Mexico now sees more US citizens immigrating TO Mexico than Mexican Citizens immigrating TO US.

Other Trump foes:
    Canada & Mexico.

Still left to piss off:
    Maybe India next, and Africa.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jar For This Useful Post:

NibsForScript (July 17th, 2018), welch (December 30th, 2018)

Thanks

Cool Re: Let's make America Grate Again.

Really love Mr. President's sense of humour and use of irony in responding as his country's elected representative to expression of reactionary and petit bougeois behaviour by natives during traditional state visit...

Mayor of London allows flying of balloon caricaturing visiting foreign dignitary as a baby;
    Leader of first state to gain independence from British Empire politely declares {so-called} Queen of England to be beautiful and says that she reminds him of his mother!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to SIR For This Useful Post:

mhosea (July 19th, 2018)

Thanks

Wow, lots of folk in here seem to 1. know more than a billionaire, Wharton educated United States President 2. believe in whatever their favorite political mouthpiece organization wants to peddle at the moment and 3. let the emotional parts of their brains overrule their rational, decision-making parts only to confirm their own bias.

Let's stick to talking about fountain pens, this group is much more adept at that stuff anyways. It was a good laugh anyhow.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to HitBoi For This Useful Post:

heraclitus682 (September 14th, 2018)

Thanks

to be fair... this is the politics etc subforum, so what do you expect?

Thanks

Here I was thinking this was a forum on grated cheese.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by VA Jay View Post
    Sounds good, let's roll with that.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by VA Jay View Post
    Yeah, I read the thread title and expected a debate on Wisconsin or California cheese being better.

Thanks

Default Re: Economic realities

Quote Originally Posted by jar View Post
    So world economic reality.

Trump says the EU is a trading foe.

World GDP figures are in.

Largest economy in the world today: China.
    In third place: US

Basic Canada-US-Mexico NAFTA figures.
    Mexico now a larger economy than Canada.
    Mexico now sees more US citizens immigrating TO Mexico than Mexican Citizens immigrating TO US.

Other Trump foes:
    Canada & Mexico.

Still left to piss off:
    Maybe India next, and Africa.
    Source?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,703 Times in 822 Posts

Sources inline...

> Largest economy in the world today: China.

No source -- because I can only find evidence China is #2 GDP (nominal), by country, and #3 if considering EU, at $12Tn (nominal).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List..._GDP_(nominal)

Yes, EU is #2.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Econ...European_Union

The European Union is the second largest economy in the world in nominal terms and according to purchasing power parity (PPP). The European Union's GDP was estimated to be*$19.7 trillion*(nominal) in 2018, representing ~22% of global economy (nominal global GDP).
    > In third place: US
    Nope, it is the largest. US > $19Tn.

Source?
    Hope that helps. I didn't think Trump's "vision" of trade ("TRADE IS BAD") and trading partners/allies was in dispute. But if so it wouldn't be hard to find evidence of his views on NAFTA, KORUS, TPP, and specific countries, starting with the book _Fear_.

Thanks

Thanks for not forgetting to write down your hysterical ramble about “the literal Hitler two-scoops Drumpf”, but no, your post did not help, because the reason I asked for source was because noone reports the numbers mentioned, except the poster himself, who as-a-matter-of-factly said everyone does.

Thanks for nothing, though!

Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 786 Posts

What does that mean?
    --
    Mike

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mhosea View Post
    What does that mean?
    It's it obvious?

Senate won't have a complicit, cooperative Congress in which to perpetuate the corrupt narratives.