Thread: What's your favorite brand of sealing wax?

Thanks

Default What's your favorite brand of sealing wax?

What's your favorite brand of sealing wax? and where are you buying it?
    JBBPensPaper an Etsy store

Thanks

Default Re: What's your favorite brand of sealing wax?

There's only one: THE ONE AND ONLY (just kidding) but I've had marvellous results with Abraxas, Basel, Switzerland.
    http://www.abraxasswitzerland.com/
    A phenomenal store in Basel's medieval centre, right by the Rhine, a 10 min. walk from Basel's Paper Museum (where you can make your own hand-layed paper) and ten steps from a real calligrapher's workshop; they make their own ink (about a hundred or so varieties) and sealing wax, carry fountain pens from Lindauer pen company as well as a huge selection of modern and vintage dip pen nibs, and are generally marvellous: my personal ink and sealing wax mecca (also great if you are into late medieval alchemy). And yes, they ship! (though not through a web shop) I know this sounds crazy, but if you get to continental Europe as a pen person, that's the one store I'd tell you to go (not to mention it's located in one of the world's most amazing cities)
    If you can't do that: J.Herbin will do from web retailers... their sealing wax is pretty nice.
    Last edited by inklord; February 18th, 2017 at 10:05 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by inklord View Post
    There's only one: THE ONE AND ONLY (just kidding) but I've had marvellous results with Abraxas, Basel, Switzerland.
    http://www.abraxasswitzerland.com/
    A phenomenal store in Basel's medieval centre, right by the Rhine, a 10 min. walk from Basel's Paper Museum (where you can make your own hand-layed paper) and ten steps from a real calligrapher's workshop; they make their own ink (about a hundred or so varieties) and sealing wax, carry fountain pens from Lindauer pen company as well as a huge selection of modern and vintage dip pen nibs, and are generally marvellous: my personal ink and sealing wax mecca (also great if you are into late medieval alchemy). And yes, they ship! (though not through a web shop) I know this sounds crazy, but if you get to continental Europe as a pen person, that's the one store I'd tell you to go (not to mention it's located in one of the world's most amazing cities)
    If you can't do that: J.Herbin will do from web retailers... their sealing wax is pretty nice.
    I agree!!! as much as I'm familiar with Abraxas, which is only a little. Their amber sealing wax is THE most gorgeous sealing wax I've ever used. Do you know if they have flexible, postal machine-friendly waxes as well? Herbin's red supple wax is currently my go-to user friendly wax because it melts so darn fast.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to jbb For This Useful Post:

VertOlive (February 18th, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,788 Times in 1,642 Posts

LOVE that amber Abraxas wax, but it shatters like spring ice. Wish they could make a flexy version.
    "Nolo esse salus sine vobis ...” —St. Augustine

6. The Following User Says Thank You to VertOlive For This Useful Post:

jbb (February 18th, 2017)

Thanks

I have to agree that Abraxas sealing wax is brittle - but that's the traditional way. I does conflict with modern postal processing, even more so in colder climates. J.Herbin therefore makes for a good compromise. But there's in my view no substitute for the traditional formulations - from the exquisite sheen to the smell... I usually fold a letter to be sealed in an epistolary folding pattern, then send it in a reusable padded envelope...
    jbb - have you tried Abraxas ink? I am currently enthralled by their Royal Blue (which is not exactly a royal blue, much to tealy for that, but a great shade) and their Sunflower ink (a tan color with real sunflower petal extract), but have used about a dozen or so of their dip-pen and FP inks in the past, and all of them are unique.

Thanks

I have to agree that Abraxas sealing wax is brittle - but that's the traditional way. I does conflict with modern postal processing, even more so in colder climates. J.Herbin therefore makes for a good compromise. But there's in my view no substitute for the traditional formulations - from the exquisite sheen to the smell... I usually fold a letter to be sealed in an epistolary folding pattern, then send it in a reusable padded envelope...
    jbb - have you tried Abraxas ink? I am currently enthralled by their Royal Blue (which is not exactly a royal blue, much to tealy for that, but a great shade) and their Sunflower ink (a tan color with real sunflower petal extract), but have used about a dozen or so of their dip-pen and FP inks in the past, and all of them are unique.
    OH yes! the smell is divine. I love that too. What is an epistolary folding pattern? I like your idea of sending the letters inside a padded envelope. Do you get to their store often? When I ordered on-line I used a distributor in Germany. I have never tried their inks.

Thanks

I lucked into a couple of insanely cheap boxes of Herbin bank wax in the full knowledge it's intended to be brittle and, I assumed, therefore unpostable - never occurred to me that a padded envelope might be sufficient protection. I'll have to give it a try. Thanks!

Thanks

J. Herbin "supple" is the only one they sell locally.