Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Navigating The Waters Of Change: The Old And The New World of Pens, Online & Off

Thanks

Default Re: Navigating The Waters Of Change: The Old And The New World of Pens, Online & Off

[QUOTE=Kaputnik;202491][QUOTE=kazoolaw;202287]
    Quote Originally Posted by AzJon View Post
    Actually there's a good argument that the plural of anecdote is data. A single anecdote is a datum. Gather enough anecdotes, and you have a data set.
    If the term "anecdote" includes a sense of an incident re-told then it differs from "data" with its sense of (relative)objectivity. If enough people feel the traffic light is green can they proceed on red?

And when do you have "enough?"

Thank you for your post. I appreciated your thoughtfulness.

Thanks

Default Re: Navigating The Waters Of Change: The Old And The New World of Pens, Online & Off

My apologies for the prior post: my quoting and editing skills on an iPad are pathetic.

Thanks

I have been collecting pens for over thirty years and using them much longer. I still feel there is much I don't know, but I find as much as I need to know to keep pens working online. Occasionally there is some new fact revealed that is interesting. I was tempted a few years ago to go to the Columbus pen show, but I don't like crowds. The newer people have different ideas from the older people, and the younger people's ideas reflect the changing times. Eventually they will be the old guys, and in their time pen collecting and use will have a different atmosphere. Some of the old knowledge will be lost, and it is probably a good thing, because it opens up the chance for newer people to develop their own approaches to this.

I usually keep to myself, and this probably best, because I think most people's ideas about pens are exotic.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pajaro For This Useful Post:

fountainpenkid (March 25th, 2017), pollyskips (March 25th, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pajaro View Post
    ...I was tempted a few years ago to go to the Columbus pen show, but I don't like crowds...I usually keep to myself, and this probably best, because I think most people's ideas about pens are exotic.
    Go on Friday morning when virtually all the vendors will be there, but the public do not crowd in like they do on Saturday and Sunday. I expect you'll be pleasantly surprised at the ideas (and pens and inks and paper) you'll be able to share.

Fred

6. The Following User Says Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pajaro View Post
    I have been collecting pens for over thirty years and using them much longer. I still feel there is much I don't know, but I find as much as I need to know to keep pens working online. Occasionally there is some new fact revealed that is interesting. I was tempted a few years ago to go to the Columbus pen show, but I don't like crowds. The newer people have different ideas from the older people, and the younger people's ideas reflect the changing times. Eventually they will be the old guys, and in their time pen collecting and use will have a different atmosphere. Some of the old knowledge will be lost, and it is probably a good thing, because it opens up the chance for newer people to develop their own approaches to this.

I usually keep to myself, and this probably best, because I think most people's ideas about pens are exotic.
    I have only been to 2 pen shows and find myself overwhelmed by the quantity of pens and by the huge numbers of people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk