Thread: Navigating The Waters Of Change: The Old And The New World of Pens, Online & Off

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,731 Times in 1,976 Posts

Default Re: Navigating The Waters Of Change: The Old And The New World of Pens, Online & Off

Quote Originally Posted by Crazyorange View Post
    As someone who has gone to many shows, I've notice a difference between collectors and users. Though no one has ever been rude to me, I've notice some of the older men are not interested in sharing their passion for vintage pens.
    In my experience, every vintage pen collectors that I talked to are eager to share their passion. Of course there are shy ones too, some of the most knowledgeable collectors are studious intellectual -type who probably will never become the live of a party. But once you've established a shared interest, the depth of their knowledge is mind-boggling and they *are* sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazyorange View Post
    The hobby is developing a big branch that varies from the "old timers". Best part of this....the hobby continues to live and thrive for the next generation to grab onto.

Can we integrate? Not sure. Each facet is so different.
    I don't think the groups should integrate, rather, feel a mutual respect and a sense of dependence on each other.

Truthfully, if a Pen Show only has modern pens and inks and paper and diary planner, with zero vintage pens, I will be much less inclined to visit, let alone be involved. The reverse is true, if the only people in the Pen Show are hardened collectors that never ink their pens, I'll also feel that something big is missing.

This is the crux of the issue, folks. The two identified groups (in an ideal situation) should feel that they need each other, then the whole community becomes a village where people refer visitors and newcomers to each other, while celebrating the difference.

The way it is right now, I sense the "leery eyeing" across the aisle. If I'm wrong, then I'm glad that I am.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

catbert (February 22nd, 2017), Jon Szanto (February 22nd, 2017), pajaro (February 28th, 2017)