Thread: Adjust the nib or The Feed?

Thanks

Default Adjust the nib or The Feed?

I've branched out into stubs and Italic 1.1 jowo nibs and I've found that the flow is a little low on these nibs generally. There's two things I do - I adjust the nib just a bit -- or I increase the feed channel on the feed. If I mess with the tines I usually end up with more work with smoothing and adjusting etc. If I leave the nib as is and increase the ink channel on the feed it works better.

My question - is it advisable to adjust the feed --- or do most try adjusting the nib first. Is there a correct or wrong way to adjust flow. I don't find many increasing the feed channels on the feed very much? As a result I have a few feeds that are marked as 'generous flow' in my kit. I'd like to hear the opinions of a few more experienced folks on the board. Thanks Kindly.

-Bill-

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

Default Re: Adjust the nib or The Feed?

Clean the pen first, Next try wetter ink, then try adjusting the tines. I've never had to do anything to the feeds on my 1.1s. Sometimes, as a last resort, just a few passes on micromesh increases flow too.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

Thanks

Clean the pen first. Adjust the tines if they are out of alignment. Then try it out with an ink with medium-a little above average flow. Then if it is necessary, adjust the tines again to make the flow rate increase. I use my thumbnail. But this is only if you have done this before, and know you might mess up the nib by doing so. Then adjust the tines if they are out of alignment. If the wetness is fine, and you need to smooth the nib, then smooth it. This is the way I would do it.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to KKay For This Useful Post:

Woody (March 31st, 2017)

Thanks

Wetter inks make a difference and adjusting the tines make sense. For me when the tines are closer together it's smoother. I'll go with the tines first. I still have problems smoothing out the nibs when I can see light at the very tip. Hacking the feed seems to work best for me but it's pretty bad ass.