Thread: Calligraphy nibs & #5 nibs

Thanks

Default Calligraphy nibs & #5 nibs

Are there any calligraphy nibs out there that might fit a feed designed for #5 nibs?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to hungrynerd For This Useful Post:

wingwiper (February 27th, 2017)

Thanks

Default Calligraphy nibs & #5 nibs

Nemosine sells two #5 sized stubs, one is 0.6mm the other 0.8mm, although I suspect the 0.8mm may be going/gone out of production.

Fountain Pen Revolution also sells a 1.0mm stub in #5.5 size that fits a #5 size feed well, but it writes more like a juicy wet broad than a calligraphy nib... still excellent bang for buck.
    Last edited by Wade; February 26th, 2017 at 04:43 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,299 Times in 1,319 Posts

Default Re: Calligraphy nibs & #5 nibs

Kaweco makes a calligraphy set with a Sport body. They're #5 nibs. What pen are you wanting to use?

Thanks

I bought a wooden dip pen that the vendor stuck a #5 feed and nib in... It's very easy to disassemble. I think I could probably stick one of those metal grippy things that a dip pen nib holder contains too, but not sure where to go about getting that either.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
    Mostly harmless...

Thanks

I would suggest getting a Zebra G nib and tweaking it to fit your feed. I believe Noodlers Konrads, Ahabs, etc. come with number 6 nibs and will accept it without any issue. I would be more than happy to walk you through it
    The secret of getting ahead is getting started-- Mark Twain

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dneal View Post
    Kaweco makes a calligraphy set with a Sport body. They're #5 nibs. What pen are you wanting to use?
    IIRC, I think the normal Kaweco nib is shorter than a standard #5 nib and they are not always interchangeable.

I have not tried the Kaweco calligraphy nib, it might swap without issues.
    Please visit my store

Brands we carry: Benu Pen, Conklin, Kaweco, Monteverde, TWSBI - Diamine, J Herbin - Clairefontaine, Rhodia, Whitelines

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DaveT View Post
    IIRC, I think the normal Kaweco nib is shorter than a standard #5 nib and they are not always interchangeable.

Kaweco uses Bock 060 nibs, and they're around 1mm narrower at the shoulder and 3mm shorter in "exposed" length than a 180 - which is the "common" #5.

Anyway, that's why I asked what pen. Absent looking at the pen (or seeing a picture), the Kaweco nibs should work in his dip pen holder.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to dneal For This Useful Post:

grainweevil (February 28th, 2017)

Thanks

Kaweco uses Bock 060 nibs, and they're around 1mm narrower at the shoulder and 3mm shorter in "exposed" length than a 180 - which is the "common" #5.

Anyway, that's why I asked what pen. Absent looking at the pen (or seeing a picture), the Kaweco nibs should work in his dip pen holder.
    Thank you for the detailed explanation of the differences in the two nibs, I appreciate it.
    Please visit my store

Brands we carry: Benu Pen, Conklin, Kaweco, Monteverde, TWSBI - Diamine, J Herbin - Clairefontaine, Rhodia, Whitelines

Thanks

Thank you for the detailed explanation of the differences in the two nibs, I appreciate it.
    No problem. Bock A.G. has a pretty good page for info HERE. It's been a few years since I purchased individual Bock nibs, but the gold ones were particularly hard to come by. That may have changed. My source was www.starbond-europa.de when I lived in Wiesbaden, because he was just across town and I could pay cash. Ordering from him online is essentially impossible unless you use a banking system that works with the German bank-draft method.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to dneal For This Useful Post:

DaveT (March 1st, 2017)