View Poll Results: What is the blackest black ink?

Voters
21. You may not vote on this poll
  • De Atrementis Document Black

0 0%
  • De Atrementis Archival

0 0%
  • Noodler's Old Manhattan

1 4.76%
  • Sailor Kiwa-Guro

3 14.29%
  • Pelikan 4001 Brilliant Black

0 0%
  • Noodler's Heart of Darkness

2 9.52%
  • Aurora Black

7 33.33%
  • Other

8 38.10%

Thread: (Another one) The blackest black?

Thanks

Default (Another one) The blackest black?

I know, I know, this has been done to death, but there's a few inks that I almost never see mentioned that seem in pictures like they should be contenders.

The most common inks I hear mentioned as the blackest black are Aurora Black and Noodler's Heart of Darkness. Sometimes I see Pelikan Brilliant Black thrown in there, along with a few others. Sailor Kiwa-Guro makes the list frequently.

A couple that I've been wondering about are De Atrementis Document Black, De Atrementis Archival, and Noodler's Old Manhattan (Fountain Pen Hospital exclusive)

What are you guys' thoughts? Currently, my only black is Noodler's Black and I dislike how grey it is.

:EDIT:

Since the poll obviously won't tally all the votes for inks I didn't initially consider, I'm gonna keep a running tally here. Please vote in the poll, too!

1 - J. Herbin Perle Noir
    1 - Rohrer & Klingner Leipziger Schwarz
    Last edited by creeder14; February 27th, 2017 at 08:16 AM.

Thanks

Default Re: (Another one) The blackest black?

This is the first of what will undoubtedly become a deluge of "you missed out ______" suggestions, but I have consistently seen support for J Herbin Perle Noir as the blackiest ink you ever could view. I have no experience of that ink.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,427 Times in 2,519 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by BayesianPrior View Post
    ...I have consistently seen support for J Herbin Perle Noir as the blackiest ink you ever could view. I have no experience of that ink.
    I have both, and see no advantage of one over the other, so I just buy Aurora black because it's deeper bottle makes sense.

Fred

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BayesianPrior View Post
    This is the first of what will undoubtedly become a deluge of "you missed out ______" suggestions, but I have consistently seen support for J Herbin Perle Noir as the blackiest ink you ever could view. I have no experience of that ink.
    Ah, crap! Forgot Perle Noir.

And yeah, I'm sure it will be. More suggestions=more ink samples to buy!

Thanks

Rohrer & Klingner "Leipziger Schwarz" - very similar to "Perle Noir". Thanks for (re-)issuing this; I'm looking forward to the results...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by inklord View Post
    Rohrer & Klingner "Leipziger Schwarz" - very similar to "Perle Noir". Thanks for (re-)issuing this; I'm looking forward to the results...
    Cool, I 've heard of it but never much about it, just that it's a good ink. I think Brian Goulet mentioned it in a video or something. What other blacks have you used that you find it blacker than?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by creeder14 View Post
    Cool, I 've heard of it but never much about it, just that it's a good ink. I think Brian Goulet mentioned it in a video or something. What other blacks have you used that you find it blacker than?
    I've been largely disappointed by the blacks that I tried - MB was grey, their "ultimate Black" even greyer, so was Pelikan 4001 "Brilliant Black" (horribly dry, too) and Lamy Black, P.I. "Take Sumi" is grey, Franklin-Christoph is grey, Sailor Jentle is black only in my wettest pens, Noodler's "Black" is brown and a nemesis for modern feeds, and also turns grainy as it ages (I expect an alternate view from some member here), Aurora is GREAT as is the dry, but solid Sailor "Kiwa Guro"... I guess that's it for now.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,282 Times in 556 Posts

I've been largely disappointed by the blacks that I tried - MB was grey, their "ultimate Black" even greyer, so was Pelikan 4001 "Brilliant Black" (horribly dry, too) and Lamy Black, P.I. "Take Sumi" is grey, Franklin-Christoph is grey, Sailor Jentle is black only in my wettest pens, Noodler's "Black" is brown and a nemesis for modern feeds, and also turns grainy as it ages (I expect an alternate view from some member here), Aurora is GREAT as is the dry, but solid Sailor "Kiwa Guro"... I guess that's it for now.
    Happy to oblige!

While Noodler's Black is not the blackest black, it has been the least trouble of all the inks I've tried. I don't know that it turns grainy as it ages, has seemed to held up very well in my experience, and it is waterproof, perhaps the wateriestproofest.

As for blackest black ink -- I'm sure there isn't only one. I tried the blackety black Aurora Black, but it was too wet and featheringy. I boost my Noodler's Black with Noodler's Old Manhattan Blackety Blackety Black. (Back in the day, I tried bother Old Manhattan BBBlack and Heart of Darkness; both were of equal blackness, but HoD feathered, so frrrrrip! Off my list.) As I recall, J. Herbin Perle Noir was also a very lovely, dark, blackety black ink.

Platinum Carbon Black is also the darkest black. I'm using this in a Pilot CH912 with a PO nib. It's fantastic.

P.S. I've also tried Sailor Kiwaguro -- also blackety black and splendid.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ethernautrix View Post
    Happy to oblige!

While Noodler's Black is not the blackest black, it has been the least trouble of all the inks I've tried. I don't know that it turns grainy as it ages, has seemed to held up very well in my experience, and it is waterproof, perhaps the wateriestproofest.

As for blackest black ink -- I'm sure there isn't only one. I tried the blackety black Aurora Black, but it was too wet and featheringy. I boost my Noodler's Black with Noodler's Old Manhattan Blackety Blackety Black. (Back in the day, I tried bother Old Manhattan BBBlack and Heart of Darkness; both were of equal blackness, but HoD feathered, so frrrrrip! Off my list.) As I recall, J. Herbin Perle Noir was also a very lovely, dark, blackety black ink.

Platinum Carbon Black is also the darkest black. I'm using this in a Pilot CH912 with a PO nib. It's fantastic.

P.S. I've also tried Sailor Kiwaguro -- also blackety black and splendid.
    Oh, Ethernautrix! you are so reliable! I don't know if I got a troubled batch of N's B, but it's been nothing but trouble for me and my wife... and of course I had to get a full 4.5 oz eyedropper bottle! Maybe I'll give it another whirl (after straining it through a coffee filter, there is sludge at the bottom of the bottle). Thanks for the input on Platinum "Carbon Black" - haven't tried that one yet, but will now. On to more daaarch pursuits)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to inklord For This Useful Post:

ethernautrix (March 3rd, 2017)

Thanks

Plain old Lamy Black is pretty darn black, at least my bottle is. Hopefully not permanent though, as I cut my finger on my 2000 nib and may be reminded of the ink for many years to come.

Thanks

Can't vote for the ones above as don't have them but found Kaweco Pearl Black to be rather black but don't have many others to compare it with. Brian Goulet in last weeks Q and A mentioned his top five black inks (not in any order) were : Aurora Black ; Noodler's Black; Noodler's Heart of Darkness ; Noodler's X-feather ; J. Herbin Perle Noire ;
    but it depended on the pen, paper etc.

Thanks

Don't often use black, but the ONLY black I have ever finished a bottle of was Levenger Raven Black. If I recall it is quite a bit darker than Noodler's Black.
    Brad "Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling

"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain

Somewhere in the hills of eastern Washington
    Thanks

I have found Noodler's Texas Black Bat to be the darkest black I have ever used.
    "Love is the final fight."

Thanks
    Thanked 6,427 Times in 2,519 Posts

Rather than an opinion poll, is there a side-by-side comparison in the ink reviews?

Fred

16. The Following User Says Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

Dreck (March 11th, 2017)