Thread: A new setup in my light tent

Thanks

Default A new setup in my light tent

I am experimenting with a new setup in my light tent for my pen photos.

I am looking for comments and critiques please.

Please visit my store

Brands we carry: Benu Pen, Conklin, Kaweco, Monteverde, TWSBI - Diamine, J Herbin - Clairefontaine, Rhodia, Whitelines

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DaveT For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (March 3rd, 2017), Lady Onogaro (March 3rd, 2017), Marsilius (March 3rd, 2017)

Thanks

Default Re: A new setup in my light tent

Great view. Can you keep same clarity and bring nib into total focus, too? Without losing it somewhere else?
    Fortibus es in ero

alexander_k

Lovely; it brings out the pen texture. The nib would be great too if it were more to the centre, I suppose.

Thanks

Thank you both. I will have to work on making sure that the nib is always in focus.

Here is another one with the same setup.

Please visit my store

Brands we carry: Benu Pen, Conklin, Kaweco, Monteverde, TWSBI - Diamine, J Herbin - Clairefontaine, Rhodia, Whitelines

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DaveT For This Useful Post:

Lady Onogaro (March 3rd, 2017), Marsilius (March 3rd, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,467 Times in 4,006 Posts

It looks good. Photos in my light tent usually come out looking darker than they should, bearing in mind I use the white background cloth.

Maybe my lights aren't bright enough?

Thanks

Kinda wow.
    Fortibus es in ero

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    It looks good. Photos in my light tent usually come out looking darker than they should, bearing in mind I use the white background cloth.

Quote Originally Posted by Marsilius View Post
    Kinda wow.
    Thank you both.

I did use photoshop to brighten it a bit.

I am cheating a bit on the lighting. Any guesses as to what I am doing in the setup of the photos?
    Please visit my store

10. The Following User Says Thank You to DaveT For This Useful Post:

Marsilius (March 4th, 2017)

Thanks

Awesome shots DaveT! I love the clarity. What did you use under the pen? There's a reflection which makes me think it's a clear glass but it's a faint reflection though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks

Hi Chrissy,
    What camera and what kind of exposure mode did you use?

Having a white background and a camera on auto will definitely make it darker without compensating the exposure. It's always my issue with my iPhone camera.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,067 Times in 4,019 Posts

Man, this is all so much harder when you live with cats.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

franzdimson (March 6th, 2017), roguez (March 8th, 2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by franzdimson View Post

Hi Chrissy,

Having a white background and a camera on auto will definitely make it darker without compensating the exposure. It's always my issue with my iPhone camera.

I have a Canon EOS 1D Mk3, but when I'm taking a few pics of a pen or bottle of ink at home, I tend to use my little Canon G10. I always use a tripod when I take photos in there. Despite this the white background never seems to be white on my images. I have to adjust them with a curves layer in Photoshop. My light tent isn't near to the window, and it's in a north facing room, so it rarely gets sunlight in there. That's why I choose to keep most of my inks in that room.

Thanks

franzdimson, You are mostly correct, there is glass involved. If you look there are no shadows either.

Anyone want to venture a guess as to what is under the pen?
    Please visit my store

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DaveT View Post
    franzdimson, You are mostly correct, there is glass involved. If you look there are no shadows either.

Blue tac?

Thanks

Hi Chrissy,

I have a Canon EOS 1D Mk3, but when I'm taking a few pics of a pen or bottle of ink at home, I tend to use my little Canon G10. I always use a tripod when I take photos in there. Despite this the white background never seems to be white on my images. I have to adjust them with a curves layer in Photoshop. My light tent isn't near to the window, and it's in a north facing room, so it rarely gets sunlight in there. That's why I choose to keep most of my inks in that room.
    Chrissy, I started using digicamcontrol . It is a free software that allows me to hook my camera up to my PC and control the camera from the PC. I can trigger the shutter from the PC and I get an instant preview of my pictures on the screen. And in manual mode I can change the exposure setting from the PC as well. I also bought an AC adapter for my camera so that it does not burn up the battery charge so quickly.

The software is buggy and does crash often. I can put up with that since I like the convenience of not having to change the memory cards, load onto PC, then realize I don't like the shot and have to reload the card into the camera and retake the shot. I am not affiliated with them, use at your own risk.
    Last edited by DaveT; March 7th, 2017 at 07:37 AM.
    Please visit my store

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DaveT For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (March 8th, 2017), Marsilius (March 7th, 2017)

Thanks

X-ray lamp?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

I have a poor man's light tent.

A shelving unit with 4ft shop lights hung from the bottom of one of the shelves. A piece of white fabric suspended under the lights to diffuse it. I placed a piece of white poster board on the shelf below the lights to serve as the bottom and it curls up to form the back.

For this shot I simply placed the pen on my tablet while using an app called white screen. I only used one of the 4ft shop lights for this photo.

Here is a re-creation shot of what I did. I had to use my cell phone for the photo.

I made some quick adjustments in Light Room. All total I spent less than 5 minutes on the whole process.
    Last edited by DaveT; March 8th, 2017 at 07:51 AM.
    Please visit my store

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DaveT For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (March 8th, 2017), manoeuver (March 8th, 2017), Marsilius (March 21st, 2017)

Thanks

Very Creative! And inexpensive! Thank you!!

Thanks

Hi Chrissy,

Chrissy, I started using digicamcontrol . It is a free software that allows me to hook my camera up to my PC and control the camera from the PC. I can trigger the shutter from the PC and I get an instant preview of my pictures on the screen. And in manual mode I can change the exposure setting from the PC as well. I also bought an AC adapter for my camera so that it does not burn up the battery charge so quickly.

The software is buggy and does crash often. I can put up with that since I like the convenience of not having to change the memory cards, load onto PC, then realize I don't like the shot and have to reload the card into the camera and retake the shot. I am not affiliated with them, use at your own risk.
    I checked out digicamcontrol and it appears to be a Windows only based software. There are others that I could consider that work on Mac though. Thanks for the idea.

Thanks

great pix Dave. Diffusing the light is essential, as you say - nothing worse that mega glare bouncing everywhere. I have a Panasonic DMC-TZ3 with a Leica lens - an old and simple model now - and it's a pre-owned camera which came from ebay and not at all like some of the large complex cameras - but for the money it takes very good pix.
    Couldn't now be without my Picasa editing - does wonders for idiots like me. But the reason for posting was simply to say that my 'surface' on which the pens lay is 3 mm white opaque Perspex. This allows for diffused underside lighting, if that were needed (mostly not), and in combination with strip lighting in an angle poise lamp is simple yet effective.
    Unfortunately, I've not yet managed to avoid some light bounce from the nib - and the curved surface compounds the problem. I can snap the nib at higher magnification by shooting through loupes or lenses of varying power, and have even snapped down a microscope tube - provided you don't mind seeing the black circle round the image - and all without a tripod - but you do have to hold your breath.