Thread: Parker 21 Super

Thanks

Default Parker 21 Super

I recently purchased a Parker 21. I didn't know much about this pen at the time, but I have a Parker my dad used to use and I love it (I just need to get it properly repaired). Anyway, this was my way of enjoying the "pen connection" without risking something irreplaceable.

Now that the 21 has arrived, it is better than I could have expected, with one exception: it seems to become more finicky on the amount of pressure required and the writing angle as, I assume, the ink level gets lower. Is this normal? There are about 3-5 drops of ink left in the pen when I check it once this becomes very pronounced, so it's not dry but it is low. I'm getting about two pages of writing out of the pen before this becomes notable. This does not seem like a lot to me, but I'm used to much finer nibs (oh, but this one looks and writes so well!).

Any tips or insights are welcome. If it helps, I'm using Waterman Mysterious Blue ink in the pen and the paper is mostly good quality cheap stuff.

Thank you

Thanks

Default Re: Parker 21 Super

First of all, did you flush the pen? One can flush with plain water but normally I use 20% ammonia and 80% water. Keep flushing until the water is pretty clean. Letting the nib end sit in the water is also helpful. Some say an ultrasonic cleaner is beneficial.
    After cleaning, when you fill the pen and squeeze the bladder, do bubbles come out after 4-5 squeezes? If not, the breather tube may be plugged and disassembly will be required.
    These are rugged pens and normally need little work. A major difference between the 21 and the 51 is the plastic. The 21 plastic is more fragile.
    Maybe the nib needs messing with. Remember flushing is first.
    There are a couple of good books on repairing pens or there are people who restore pens for areasonable charge.
    Enjoy the pen, I enjoy mine.
    We have met the enemy and he is us.
    -Pogo

Thanks

Default Re: Parker 21 Super

Thank you for the insight. I'll look into it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Vespagirl For This Useful Post:

Hawk (March 6th, 2017)