Thread: Parker 45 Flighter Pencil

Thanks

Default Parker 45 Flighter Pencil

I have absolutely no knowledge of propelling pencils.

Have acquire one of these along with the leads that I was readily told were not Parker Brand. I also do not know and have no way of measuring if they are the correct size for the pencil. They are for certain not to big as they will fit into the pencil end OK.

Having cleaned and polished the pencil earlier on I find that the pencil will not "wind out the lead". I.E. It appears not to be working.

Will/would wrong make/wrong size of lead cause the non functioning. If not any ideas how to check/correct/rectify would be gratefully received.

Can someone explain to me how I extract/take out the mechanical workings of the pencil, just in case I have to delve further to correct or repair.

Many thanks, Regards.
    Last edited by jarc; March 6th, 2017 at 01:38 PM.

Thanks

Default Re: Parker 45 Flighter Pencil

Please, please, even pretty please, is there not someone, somewhere, who can explain to me how to take this pencil apart. I am reluctant to just pull,tug,twist etc in case I really do cause some damage to what already may be damaged pencil.
    Regards.

Thanks

On the basis of no hands-on familiarity at all, I believe you should be able to pull off the upper body and unscrew the nose cone, and everything will come apart from there. But you know, take this advice with a healthy does of caveats and "so I've heards"!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by grainweevil View Post
    On the basis of no hands-on familiarity at all, I believe you should be able to pull off the upper body and unscrew the nose cone, and everything will come apart from there. But you know, take this advice with a healthy does of caveats and "so I've heards"!
    The upper body certainly pulls off. I have got that far with it.
    The nose cone is not separate, it is all pert of the lower body/barrel.
    Once the upper body is pulled off there appears to be a joint about halfway down but I cannot pull apart and it does not seem to unscrew. May be a little more brutal treatment id needed.
    Many thanks
    Regards.

Thanks

Hmm, I'm at a loss then. I would hesitate to recommend more brutal treatment to the mechanism from above as I believe that must contain the spiral mechanism and is, as far as I can gather, liable to damage. My only thought is to try and clean out the nozzle as best you can and hope it's simple lead debris causing a jam.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by grainweevil View Post
    Hmm, I'm at a loss then. I would hesitate to recommend more brutal treatment to the mechanism from above as I believe that must contain the spiral mechanism and is, as far as I can gather, liable to damage. My only thought is to try and clean out the nozzle as best you can and hope it's simple lead debris causing a jam.
    I have managed to push in and pull out leads through the nib end (wrong definition) with no resistance whatsoever.
    Probably find this is such a simple problem, if it ever gets solved.
    Maybe it should just sit in the collection, looking pretty. !!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Many thanks, Regards.

Thanks

regret can't give you the answer you really want since I too know less than nothing about pencils - I tend to buy them if they're cheap, and the 45 f.ps. I find sometimes come with a pencil, but I simply put them in the cabinet and forget them.
    assume it's the attached of which you're speaking - I've just put the lead into a micrometer and they're coming out at 0.9 mm, which is what you'd expect - the lead should be a very snug fit with no play.
    The nose cones on these two unscrew, and the top half of the pencil plus the inner chrome sleeve also pulls out, as you can see from the pix. I notice that on one of mine the lead moves both in and out by turning the upper part of the pencil, but the other one only comes out and doesn't retract - no idea why, other that the obvious that in order to do so the lead must be gripped by some form of clutch.
    You may have the wrong size leads - there seems to be a tendency in modern pencils to use thinner leads that might have been the case 50 years ago - maybe stronger lead.
    Am sure the brassy inner part must come out with a little fiddling - time to experiment I guess.

I can't really get into these things, but when you collect f.p. these things often come as a package. Probably should use the odd one since I now have about 30.
    Attached Images Attached Images

8. The Following User Says Thank You to PaulS For This Useful Post:

titrisol (December 10th, 2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
    regret can't give you the answer you really want since I too know less than nothing about pencils - I tend to buy them if they're cheap, and the 45 f.ps. I find sometimes come with a pencil, but I simply put them in the cabinet and forget them.
    assume it's the attached of which you're speaking - I've just put the lead into a micrometer and they're coming out at 0.9 mm, which is what you'd expect - the lead should be a very snug fit with no play.
    The nose cones on these two unscrew, and the top half of the pencil plus the inner chrome sleeve also pulls out, as you can see from the pix. I notice that on one of mine the lead moves both in and out by turning the upper part of the pencil, but the other one only comes out and doesn't retract - no idea why, other that the obvious that in order to do so the lead must be gripped by some form of clutch.
    You may have the wrong size leads - there seems to be a tendency in modern pencils to use thinner leads that might have been the case 50 years ago - maybe stronger lead.
    Am sure the brassy inner part must come out with a little fiddling - time to experiment I guess.

I can't really get into these things, but when you collect f.p. these things often come as a package. Probably should use the odd one since I now have about 30.
    Likewise, they do nothing for me. I had one as a freebie and was just fiddling to see if it would work. I cannot seem to be able to get mine disassembled at all. Not that if I did mange to, I would have any idea what to do with it. One day I will have another go at it. Like yourself I have acquired others and must have about four or five now.

Many thanks for your assistance and photos.
    Regards.

Thanks

Just found this thread .... thanks for the info!

I got a 45 mech pencil recently. Leads are 1mm but can fit the 0.9mm leads that come in the disposable BIC mech pencils
    The bottom cone is easy to unscrew and looks like the picture above
    Unix is user-friendly ; it's just picky about who it's friends are -

Thanks

I didn't use a mechanical pencil in my school life or even in office but my daughter has a great interest in such things. Last year, I gifted her a Lamy Black propelling pencil.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to IrenaRoese For This Useful Post:

Lady Onogaro (January 11th, 2019)