Thread: which model of Sheaffer please

Thanks

Default which model of Sheaffer please

A States made white spot Sheaffer, which I'd imagine dates to somewhere around the late '70s to '80s, and am wondering if it might be something called a 444, possibly.
    I can usually id earlier models, but don't see this one in my books - it has a conical nib and takes a cartridge or presumably a converter. That gold coloured ring a little to the rear of the nib looks distinctive.
    Really cracking nib, which assume is either a fine italic or possibly stub. thanks for looking.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

Default Re: which model of Sheaffer please

The number simply showed the style not the model. 444 or 440 0r 550 was a color and trim code. Is the nib gold? Check the Skripsert series of pens.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jar For This Useful Post:

PaulS (March 10th, 2017)

Thanks

thanks jar - obviously I need to get a lot more familiar with this brand. It's rather late in the day, so brain not too bright, but just possible this is Stylist model, but I will look again in more depth tomorrow ................ yes, the nib is definitely 14 gold nib.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

Yup, Stylist, Skripsert, unusual C/C Imperial II all possibilities.

Thanks

thanks for the confirmation. I was going to make some sort of comment - from a Brits. point of view - as to the fact that I've not seen this model before, in the U.K.
    It may well be this is a less common modern Sheaffer than, for example, things like Touchdowns, Snorkels, Lady's etc., but shouldn't generalize since there are too many variables ..... depending on whether you collect from the wild only, or perhaps only from on-line auction sites etc., where of course you can find just about everything. It also obviously depends on how near to large urban areas you live - but the pens we find are all rather a personal and variable experience.
    I've now become a little wary of on-line sales auctions, and get more of a buzz from hunting in real antiques centres, bric-a-brac outlets, charity shops and the like where bargains can be found more often.
    Touchdowns are possibly the most common find, followed by Lady's and then maybe Imperial or a few Targas, and PFM only rarely ............ but nothing competes with the frequency of P45s

from a purely personal angle, this one possibly lacks some of the mechanical appeal of the Touchdown/Snorkel varieties - as a cartridge/converter pen only, it appears perhaps too simple and maybe we're left thinking we've been cheated out of some of the extras which those earlier pens had. But then you could argue there's less to go wrong!

Thanks

Stylist.

Thanks

thanks - now I'm left in no doubt.

Thanks

There were 2 types of Sheaffer Stylist, one that was double sided like the Omas 361 and the Parker 180 and the one with the short conical nib (a.k.a. the "good one" haha). You appear to have the Stylist with the short conical nib. These can be excellent pens, as many short conical nib pens can be (in my experience) . I do not have a Stylist anymore but do have the short conical Skripset pens (many regular and deluxe), and many Imperial II and III pens with short conical nibs and a couple others I am likely forgetting. Nice nibs. Some are suspected to be unhallmarked PdAg nibs and all mine have had wonderfully juicy ebonite feeds. Not as much bling as a full sized conical nib but still a really nice writing experience. Enjoy.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to stub For This Useful Post:

PaulS (March 11th, 2017)

Thanks

thanks for the eulogy - with this one it certainly is the nib that lifts an otherwise simple cartridge pen out of the ordinary - tomorrow I'll post some scribble for you to see, and perhaps someone can confirm whether it's a fine italic or perhaps a stub. Must admit to not really knowing what qualifies a point as stub - possibly just its shortness and broad point?? -
    One of the down sides to collecting a wide variety of pen brands is that you never become really knowledgeable about any of them - bit of a jack of all trades. This nib, like almost all 14/18 k gold points, carries just the figure 14 for the gold content, and I wasn't aware that any were hallmarked in the real sense, but suspect you don't mean that anyway - can you explain please the meaning of PdAg - thanks.
    As you will know, compared to some of the Sheaffer models this pen is quite slim - so possibly you might say it's a unisex pen

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
    thanks for the eulogy - with this one it certainly is the nib that lifts an otherwise simple cartridge pen out of the ordinary - tomorrow I'll post some scribble for you to see, and perhaps someone can confirm whether it's a fine italic or perhaps a stub. Must admit to not really knowing what qualifies a point as stub - possibly just its shortness and broad point?? -
    One of the down sides to collecting a wide variety of pen brands is that you never become really knowledgeable about any of them - bit of a jack of all trades. This nib, like almost all 14/18 k gold points, carries just the figure 14 for the gold content, and I wasn't aware that any were hallmarked in the real sense, but suspect you don't mean that anyway - can you explain please the meaning of PdAg - thanks.
    As you will know, compared to some of the Sheaffer models this pen is quite slim - so possibly you might say it's a unisex pen
    I know these came as Stubs. Ron Zorn had one on his site a while back. These nibs came in 14k on some pens (Imperial for example), on the Skripsert Deluxe they were 9.2k seemingly (I've also heard 14k) but the white metal nibs are always unclear. Some say some they are steel, some claim they are unhalmarked PdAg (Palladium Silver) on some models. All I know is I have exceptionally good luck with these short conical nib pens. Feeds are carved ebonite and the usual Sheaffer engineered masterpieces. Sheaffer knew how to make feeds. Even their plastic feeds, like the one featured on the Nonosense pens are exceptional (imo).

Stubs and Italics are both edged nibs. Stubs are softer and rounder and more forgiving to write with but give less line variation, Italics are sharper. Gold and Palladium Silver stubs tend to be tipped on Sheaffers, then ground flat. Italics are too but ground flatter and sharper. The Steel pens like Nononsense tend not to be tipped.

Thanks

thanks for the additional comments. Italics lack flex as far as I'm aware, and this a firm point, so obviously some care needed to produce a good 'hand', which as you can see I don't have - my scribble is all over the place - I don't have any interest in writing italic, so will probably never practice enough to be good. If you're someone who loves flex, there's a tendency to write with varying pressures expecting a varying line, so have to remind myself that doesn't happen with this nib. But I can see the virtues of such a point, and those lovely thin entrance strokes compared to the broad down lines have the potential to make attractive writing, if only I had the patience am sure the thicks and thins would stand out better.
    In view of the last comments regarding the differences between the two types of nib, then think this one is probably a fine italic, and although there isn't any scale shown in the picture of the nib, it has a width of c. 1 mm as close as I can tell.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by PaulS; March 12th, 2017 at 01:21 PM.

Thanks

When it comes to cooking outdoors, the terms “grill” and “barbecue” are often used interchangeably. But there are some important differences between the two cooking methods that you should be aware of. https://onlybbqgrills.com/best-4-burner-gas-grill/