Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Safe" waterproof inks that don't feather?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,282 Times in 556 Posts

Default Re: "Safe" waterproof inks that don't feather?

Noodler's Black is trouble-free, in my experience (at least several years).

I use Platinum Carbon Black, but it does leave a residue, so I use this ink in pens with easily-removable nibs or nib sections that can withstand ultrasonic cleaning. (I *think* that Nakaya's nib sections will fare fine in ultrasonic cleanings, but I don't feel comfortable taking that chance. Therefore, I'm using PCB in a Pilot CH912 (PO). I've using this combo for four or five months now, and I've rinsed the nib section out once or twice. Haven't used the ultrasonic cleaner yet.)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ethernautrix For This Useful Post:

fountainpenkid (April 1st, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 786 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KKay View Post
    Sailor-Kiwa guro has been a great ink, but I wouldn't leave it in the pen more than 10 days to two weeks, before cleaning, or refilling.
    I wouldn't do it in just any pen, but the ones that seal well have all been fine, in my experience. I tend to leave Sailor nano inks in selected pens indefinitely without refilling. I tend not to use them in the other pens at all, though that's an observation rather than a policy. I almost always have one of the "selected" pens already inked with one or the other--at the moment it's Kiwa Guro in a Cross Century II (the one I offered for sale once but nobody wanted). I recall doing some dry-out experiments with Sei Boku and concluding that I would recommend A-game pen hygiene if you don't have an ultrasonic cleaner, or if the nib and feed of the pen in question can't easily be cleaned in one.
    --
    Mike

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mhosea For This Useful Post:

KKay (March 19th, 2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyIvan View Post
    I have stayed away from waterproof inks because, in my mind, it means it will permanently stain a pen. I want to know if my thinking is true.
    I've not had issues with the permanent inks I use. I suppose I've had some issues with inks drying up in the feed if the pens aren't used frequently enough, but a good cleaning fixes the issue. I've never had a nib get stained. I think I've had more trouble with non-permanent inks and staining of converters than I have with permanent inks.

Quote Originally Posted by inklord View Post
    While some of the pigmented inks or even some inks with strong or penetrating dyes (Sailor) have permanently stained some demonstrators/ink windows for me, the IG inks seem to not do that as long as they are not allowed to dry out in the pen. Just my experience... Montblanc's "Permanent Grey" is another wonderful waterproof ink that is very easy to clean out of pens, but unfortunately no longer available.
    I forgot about MB 90 years perm grey. This is another one I use on occasion. In my experience this ink seems to dry into two layers, call them "in the paper" and "on the paper". When I run it under water some ink comes off the page, but the remaining ink look like there was never an issue...as if that top layer "on the page" wasn't supposed to be there in the first place. MB perm blue doesn't do this for me. The blue is just bullet-proof. I expect the MB perm black is the same (same ISO standard), though I haven't used it outside of a dip nib that put waaaaaayyyy too much ink on the page for it to ever actually dry.

I keep forgetting to put a bottle of MB perm grey up for sale. I picked up a second bottle after trying some as I really liked it. I haven't used it as much as expected, so I have no reason to hoard a second bottle for future use. So if you or anyone else is interested...

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Scooby921 For This Useful Post:

KrazyIvan (March 20th, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 598 Posts

A member here kindly shipped me two bottles of IG ink--Rohrer and Klinger Salix and Diamine Registrar's--a week or so ago. I tried the Salix first as I thought the more mild color might make flushing it out of the pen (a notoriously hard-to-clean Parker "51") a bit easier. As I was told, it was a dry writing experience, increasing the already-high rotation sensitivity of the "51" nib. The color is lovely (some describe it as "dusty") and produces shading unlike any ink I've used, the pigment (or is it dye?) doesn't leech out of the page when exposed to water, and to top it off, the showthrough is less than the most mild inks I own. BUT after just a week of being in the pen, it formed a gunk around the nib that I was not able to flush out completely. Is this normal?
    Regardless, I am hesitant to put IG ink in my modified flighter (stainless steel hood and connector) because it seems the stainless steel will start to corrode after prolonged exposure--Richard Binder writes in his entry, "only gold is resistant to its ravages."
    Last edited by fountainpenkid; April 1st, 2017 at 06:54 PM.
    Will
    If my p.m box is full, feel free to email me at dabantur@gmail.com.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to fountainpenkid For This Useful Post:

KKay (April 1st, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 786 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fountainpenkid View Post
    Regardless, I am hesitant to put IG ink in my modified flighter (stainless steel hood and connector) because it seems the stainless steel will start to corrode after prolonged exposure--Richard Binder writes in his entry, "only gold is resistant to its ravages."
    If it would cause any angst, it's not worth it. I probably wouldn't, either. But OTOH, with my left brain I do think this level of caution is (probably) overkill. IG ink centuries ago was often made with sulfuric acid, which is indeed unsuited to fountain pen use, and as the water in your fountain pen evaporates, you have something approaching "Alien" saliva. However, modern IG formulations are much milder. Obviously pH isn't everything, but there are regular sorts of "safe" inks that rival the acidity of modern IG inks, so it seems that on the subject of how caustic they might or might not be, modern IG inks designed for fountain pens probably suffer unjustly from their association with "classical" IG ink.

I once did a dry-out experiment with ESSRI to see whether the sterling silver breather tube of 51's would be safe with it as the ink concentrated. I didn't use a 51, rather a sterling silver pin in a Konrad or some other inexpensive pen. The pin was completely unaffected. I believe the modern ink designers solved the problem by choosing an acid that evaporates along with the water. Possibly some inks, including IG inks, tend to erode the gold plating on the underside of plated stainless steel nibs. I've seen that happen but not really tried to nail the perpetrators. Anyway, the principal drawback I see to IG inks is that they can slowly oxidize and precipitate in the pen. They also tend to drop a precipitate when suddenly diluted with tap water when you flush them out. I've never had a problem with that. For me it always rinses out easily, but you do want to make sure you finish flushing it out once you start, and better yet, do the first rinse with a white vinegar solution instead of straight tap water (though to be honest, I can't be bothered).
    --
    Mike

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mhosea For This Useful Post:

Dreck (April 1st, 2017), fountainpenkid (April 1st, 2017)