Thread: Fountain Pens and the Paradox of Choice - More Enjoyment From Small Collection?

Thanks

Default Fountain Pens and the Paradox of Choice - More Enjoyment From Small Collection?

Has anyone here gotten more enjoyment out of a reduced collection?

I have about 60 fountain pens and I am contemplating a smaller collection. Not necessarily upgrading pens just reducing and eliminating some so I can focus more on favorites.

I am imagining keeping 10 premium pens in the $500-$2,000 range and a handful of lower priced pens.
    1. Namiki Emperor
    2. 149 Calligraphy
    3. Nakaya
    4. Danitrio
    5. Cartier Louis Cartier
    6. Caran D'Ache Leman
    7. Aurora Optima
    8. Ohto Hutt Design 7
    9. Hakase
    10. Yard-O-Led Grand Vic
    11. Platinum 3776 Karakusa

...ugh I didn't quite make it to 10.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Huge Massives For This Useful Post:

amk (August 9th, 2023), BlkWhiteFilmPix (August 9th, 2023), Chrissy (August 9th, 2023), fountainpenkid (August 5th, 2023), Jon Szanto (August 8th, 2023), Lloyd (August 2nd, 2023)

Thanks

Default Re: Fountain Pens and the Paradox of Choice - More Enjoyment From Small Collection?

I think this makes sense and that looks like a great selection, even if 11!
    Good luck,

Thanks

Default Re: Fountain Pens and the Paradox of Choice - More Enjoyment From Small Collection?

I think that’s a great selection of pens for the direction you are taking. I would consider whether there is anything else in your collection which, whilst maybe not a favourite, would be difficult to replace (like another Hakase for example ). I would keep those too. I’d also want to make sure I had an EDC that I would not be afraid to lose like a Lamy 2k in case I needed it.

Thanks

Send the other 49 down here to me Hugh... take 'em off your hands and they'll be in good hands! :-)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joolstacho For This Useful Post:

Carpio (August 8th, 2023), Lloyd (August 2nd, 2023)

Thanks

I find that I use one of two P-51s every day: an aerometric "full" 51, a 51 Special, and a couple of 51 vacumatics. I gave a pair of 51 aerometrics to a friend in California, plus a P-61 c/c and a good modern Japanese pen. I still have too many, even though I have put aside three P-51 sets for the grand-children.

I still have a couple dozen P-51s and P-61s, but I'd like many of the rest of my fountain pens to go to people just starting to use them, people paying full price for new pens. People who might want a few pens and who will write with them.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to welch For This Useful Post:

fountainpenkid (August 8th, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 598 Posts

For me, having pens that I don’t get to use enough (i.e. at least once a week) makes me anxious. This means I can only have about 8 pens, and even that is pushing it. At the moment I have 4 small Omas, 1 Aurora Novum, 1 Pelikan m400, and 1 Parker “51”. It is enough to have variety, but not so much to feel like I’m often neglecting pens. I am sure this number would increase if I used my pens for more legitimate things.
    Last edited by fountainpenkid; August 8th, 2023 at 08:49 AM.
    Will
    If my p.m box is full, feel free to email me at dabantur@gmail.com.

Thanks

I've given several fountain pens away to the grandchildren and some Wing Sung 601's to friends for special occasions. I've kept most of the Esterbrooks except for some duplicates that I restored. I continue to enjoy daily use, one at a time.
    “He has shown you, O man, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.” Micah 6:8

Thanks

... "I am contemplating a smaller collection. Not necessarily upgrading pens just reducing and eliminating some so I can focus more on favorites."

After buying a MB 149 curved nib calligraphy pen earlier this year, I sold several pens on this forum that I was not using. For every thing that comes in, something now has to go out.

That allows me to better enjoy my favorites and and find a home that would appreciate the others.

--------

"...ugh I didn't quite make it to 10."

11 rounded down would be 10, right?
    Bob

Making the world a more peaceful place, one fine art print and one handwritten letter at a time.

Paper cuts through the noise – Richard Moross, MOO CEO

Indiana Jones used a notebook in the map room, not an app.

www.bobsoltys.net/fountainpens

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlkWhiteFilmPix For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (August 9th, 2023), JulieParadise (August 9th, 2023)