Thread: ISO a FP for a Book Signing

Thanks

Default ISO a FP for a Book Signing

Hey guys, I am in the process of writing my first book, and I am looking for a special FP to use just when I sign books or have a book launch party. I'm looking for something with a classic cigar-shape and comes with a #6 nib (so I can swap it out for Fountain Pen Revolution's #6 ultra-flex nib. Since my book deals with folklore of plants and ethnobotany, I'd like to use J. Herbin's "Emerald of Chivor" ink to sign my books. Therefore, I'd like my FP to look nice with this ink, and with the theme of my book, but that's not mandatory. I'd also appreciate a vacuum/ pull-type of ink pump, but again that's not mandatory. It should, however, write like a dream! I'd like to try to keep it under $200, but I can always save up for it. Thanks!

Thanks

Default Re: ISO a FP for a Book Signing

Oh, so many questions!

Have you written with a FPR ultraflex nib? They have pens that can come with this nib that are not expensive to begin with and they have sales, so if you have never used it, you should probably get one and try it out, because if you have not tried one, well, it might not give the result you really want, even if it seems like it would. If that's the case, we can always help you find a nib that will do what you want.

Every ink color looks nice with a black pen. Unless you really don't like black pens, in which case then no ink color, I suppose would look good to you, so, for the sake of simplicity, do you like black pens?

There are an awful lot of cigar shaped pens out there that take number six nibs, but FPR nibs will not necessarily fit all of them. You would think that a number six is a number six but there does not seem to be some powerful central governing board of fountain pen nib sizing and so sometimes what you think will fit, won't. Or else won't fit without a little jimmying. Or maybe will fit, with some "Help" when perhaps it really should not fit to begin with and anyone who could really look at the nib and the pen could see this. Or maybe will fit, but look odd in doing so. Or, you know, other such things.

Books do take more time to write, sell and edit than one might normally think they would, so you probably have time to get all this done. Seems like an interesting topic. I wish you well on both book and pen!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,079 Times in 632 Posts

For signing books, I relied on a Sheaffer/Levenger Connaisseur Mediterranean pen, bright blue, c. 1994.

Fine nib, very smooth, good inkflow, never leaked. My usual handwriting works well with a fountain pen.

No fancy calligraphy. If you have a line of people waiting, speed is good.

Thanks

Ethnobotany sounds like an interesting subject. Good luck on the book signing and finding a proper pen to use.

Thanks

When your book comes out, post an excerpt in the Creative Writing section (with publishing info).

It might sell a few copies. I'm interested in ethnobotany, and have studied the tribal uses for this area (US central Rockies) and also NZ Mäori tikanga: fascinating stuff.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,335 Times in 355 Posts

Mac...you may find that the ultraflex nib doesn't play at all well with the feed on most 'ordinary' pens !

I've messed around quite a lot with these nibs and various pens and they only seem to work as long as you don't flex them ,
    Which kinda negates the exercise.
    And that's if you can even get the nib to mate with the feed at all.

Don't get me wrong, the ultraflex is a terrific nib when it's mated with a feed that can keep up with it , but even the ebonite FPR feeds that come with the nib often can't handle very much flex at all !!

I would rather recommend something like a Duofold Parker with a fine to medium semiflex : it looks pretty slick, and lays down a nice smooth wet line with a bit of variation if you lean on it a bit.

In short, I'd think twice about the ultraflex / modern pen combo ....it can take some experimentation and tinkering to get it going well ...

Also. Emerald of Chivor ( and the other ...what is it 1760 ??) Herbin inks are lovely shimmery inks , but you gotta be careful putting them in a FP ...specially a nice expensive one, cos the shimmer tends to dry out in the feed and clog things up a bit. Your washing/ flushing needs to be quite regular, and meticulous.
    A lot of folk recommend only putting shimmer and sheen inks in a pen that you can clean / disassemble easily.
    And, there are some really nice 'leafy green' ordinary inks out there , which dry quickly and don't smudge.

In summary...'write like a dream'....Emerald of Chivor....and 'ultraflex nib in modern pen'. Is a combination I would be cautious about .
    Last edited by Robalone; January 28th, 2022 at 07:00 AM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Robalone For This Useful Post:

eachan (January 30th, 2022)

Thanks

A thought: you might ask the publisher for one or two unbound copies. You could try your hand at a binding and/or get an artisan binder to do one in fine leather with the title and your name in gold leaf, handmade endpapers, and that sort of thing.

A friend who had bookbinding tools and materials did a copy of my first major press book that I cherish.

Thanks

Congratulations on writing your first book! Finding the perfect fountain pen for your book signings and launch party is an exciting endeavor. Based on your preferences, here are a few fountain pens that might suit your needs:

TWSBI Vac700R: This pen has a vacuum filling mechanism, which fits your desire for a vacuum/pull-type ink pump. It has a classic cigar-shape design and can be fitted with a #6 nib. The TWSBI Vac700R is known for its smooth writing experience and can be a great match for J. Herbin's "Emerald of Chivor" ink. It's also priced under $100, making it budget-friendly.

Pilot Custom 74: The Pilot Custom 74 is a classic-looking fountain pen with a transparent barrel that allows you to see the ink level. It can be fitted with a #6 nib and is available with a variety of nib options, including soft nibs that can offer some line variation. While it doesn't have a vacuum filling system, it's a reliable and smooth writer that can complement your book's theme.

Conklin All American: This pen features a vintage-inspired design and comes in various colors, including some that might match the theme of your book. It can be fitted with a #6 nib and offers a comfortable writing experience. Although it doesn't have a vacuum filling mechanism, it's a well-regarded pen at an affordable price point.

Leonardo Officina Italiana Momento Zero: If you're willing to stretch your budget slightly, the Momento Zero offers a classic design with beautiful acrylic materials that can be matched with your favorite ink color. It has a #6 nib option and is known for its smooth writing performance.

When choosing a fountain pen, it's always a good idea to consider the weight, size, and grip comfort to ensure it feels comfortable during long signing sessions. Since fountain pens can be a very personal choice, if possible, try to visit a pen store to test them out in person before making a final decision.

Remember, the best fountain pen for you is the one that brings joy and inspiration to your writing process as you embark on this exciting journey with your book! Happy writing!
    Pokemon Infinite Fusion

Thanks

I think it will take more than time to choose your pen ( to find the right pen ink combination) to sign your book than the time had put to write and to finish the book.
    If you know what papers are being used to printing, then finding a 'permanent' black ink is the ideal to go with that paper. I will consider to get an ink that dries faster, and a nib that is not very wet ( avoid using a border nib that is too wet ) , so no "fathering or any mishaps to avoid. Could a $1000 or Cheaper $10 pen do the job. Any pens can do the job and Fp are a personal choice. I know many people who signs books use felt-tipped pens which has permanent ink. This is my personal thoughts here. Once I went to a photography exhibition and wanted to get my book autographed by the photographer. He did not have a pen and I had a Mont Blanc 146. I gave it to him and he looked at me and said " Oh this is an expensive pen " - "No I use mine", and he reached for his Felt pen.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cyril View Post
    I think it will take more than time to choose your pen ( to find the right pen ink combination) to sign your book than the time had put to write and to finish the book.
    If you know what papers are being used to printing, then finding a 'permanent' black ink is the ideal to go with that paper. I will consider to get an ink that dries faster, and a nib that is not very wet ( avoid using a border nib that is too wet ) , so no "fathering or any mishaps to avoid. Could a $1000 or Cheaper $10 pen do the job. Any pens can do the job and Fp are a personal choice. I know many people who signs books use felt-tipped pens which has permanent ink. This is my personal thoughts here. Once I went to a photography exhibition and wanted to get my book autographed by the photographer. He did not have a pen and I had a Mont Blanc 146. I gave it to him and he looked at me and said " Oh this is an expensive pen " - "No I use mine", and he reached for his Felt pen.
    Sadly Cyril, helandam is yet another spammer. Check out the fact that when you hover your curser under the first 4 words in the last line it shows you that they are hiding a link. In this case it's something to do with pokemon.

Anyone posting please note: Don't quote the spammers post despite how much reasonable copied information has been quoted. Otherwise you keep and show the link... Check out all posts by spammer helendam
    Last edited by Chrissy; August 15th, 2023 at 02:41 PM.
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens