Results 1,001 to 1,020 of 1087

Thread: What is up with FPN?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

Default Re: What is up with FPN?

Quote Originally Posted by Laura N View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    I didn't imply "secret", but since you are semanticizing, please be so good as to give your definition of "private" in this instance.
    Simple colloquial convention; as a way to differentiate between a public message (a post in a thread) and one directed to one or more members of a smaller subset of the total membership.

It certainly does not mean the message is not subject to being read by others or as in this case, parsed by a filter.

The thing to remember is that there is no complete privacy in today's communications network whether phone, internet, email or SMS.
    Actually, to me, "private" does mean that the message will not be read by anyone other than the addressee. An automatic "bad words" filter is fine. And I don't worry about the administrator being able to read private messages under extraordinary circumstances. However, I would find it extremely distasteful, overreaching and potentially dangerous, if anyone who was named a moderator could do so on an ongoing basis.

There is a distinction between computerized scanning by internet companies like Google, which like the "bad words" filter is automated and impersonal, and the possibility that actual human beings would be able to snoop on you by reading your private messages.

And the "no privacy in communication" thing is a red herring. We are not talking about governmental action here. It's a fountain pen forum, for goodness sakes. What they can do, technically, should be constrained by decency and necessity. And I hope it is. No matter what, they should clearly disclose just who can read members' private messages. To me, that's unclear right now.
    I would be amazed if anyone bothered to read PMs for any reason other than they were addressed to that person.

Thanks

There is a distinction between computerized scanning by internet companies like Google, which like the "bad words" filter is automated and impersonal, and the possibility that actual human beings would be able to snoop on you by reading your private messages.
    I should imagine that the filtering on the messages submitted to FPN, whether personal or as forum replies, is also done automatically by the board software. I doubt whether anyone has time to read all the messages posted and censor them immediately.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

I like the way twitter handles the naming convention. Direct Message, DM for short.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

4. The Following User Says Thank You to KrazyIvan For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (December 2nd, 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,115 Times in 575 Posts

This post has been read by FPN.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Farmboy For This Useful Post:

ethernautrix (December 24th, 2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Farmboy View Post
    I often wonder why fpn would even bother reading posts outside of their own site. It doesn't seem to benefit them unless they are trying to crack down on any possible disparaging comments about them, which to me seems like a rather large ovestepping of thier pervue. Then again I was admonished because of some tweets. Making it appear more of a police state. It seems that they can do anything they want wirhin thier own sandbox but when they search out comments outside their site and use them against people it borders on the sort of thing thay dictators do. including the disappearance of people who do not agree with the badly applied rules and forbidding discussion of any of the actions of the people in control.
    Be Here Now

Thanks

I've known some people who admitted to googling their own names every few days, hoping to become more famous/notorious.
    Kai

"Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished." -- Lao Tzu

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kaisnowbird View Post
    I've known some people who admitted to googling their own names every few days, hoping to become more famous/notorious.
    How old fashioned. They have services that do it for you automagically nowadays.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KrazyIvan For This Useful Post:

Annie (December 6th, 2013), kaisnowbird (December 4th, 2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Titivillus View Post
    I often wonder why fpn would even bother reading posts outside of their own site. It doesn't seem to benefit them unless they are trying to crack down on any possible disparaging comments about them, which to me seems like a rather large ovestepping of thier pervue. Then again I was admonished because of some tweets. Making it appear more of a police state. It seems that they can do anything they want wirhin thier own sandbox but when they search out comments outside their site and use them against people it borders on the sort of thing thay dictators do. including the disappearance of people who do not agree with the badly applied rules and forbidding discussion of any of the actions of the people in control.
    It's a big wide internet - FPN can and do read as they wish, just as you can.
    I don't know anything about tweets since I don't do twitter but I would imagine, you can say anthing you like provided you don't libel anyone. As for being a police state or dictatorship, I have no idea except that if you were to really live in either of those, you would have far more to worry about that a pen website.

Having what you say either in a pen forum or in a private message on a pen forum, monitored, read, or anything else is (excuse the pun) taken as read. It's owned and run by a private individual and that individual can do as he pleases. I suppose you can either accept that you will be subject to a golden handcuffs deal which is subject to change without your approval, or you can not go there.
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/peachez

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Annie For This Useful Post:

countrydirt (December 6th, 2013), The Paranoid Nudnik (December 7th, 2013)

Thanks

Our 20th century sensibilities regarding privacy are colliding with 21st century technology, which makes it so we essentially have no privacy. I am an admin at another board, and yes what you write can be read by anyone with access to the core functions of the forum, namely the "root". These are your core admins, the very top of the top usually, but the board owners can distribute things as they see fit. Assume anything you write in there can be read by anyone with root access, possibly more. Then again, you should now assume that someone in government somewhere can read your emails too. Written words betray, sooner or later. On the internet the only things potentially unreadable by prying eyes are things never written.

The more concerning thread is the one touting only one admin being available. That is to say, there are no others now. An admin that does not communicate or function is not an admin at all, so there is functionally only one now. It's a big board with a lot of work, as anyone would admit, but there is only one admin. It's not about efficiency or good governance. It's about control.
    Last edited by Ray-VIgo; December 11th, 2013 at 08:42 PM.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ray-VIgo For This Useful Post:

jbb (December 12th, 2013), kaisnowbird (December 12th, 2013), Sailor Kenshin (December 12th, 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,115 Times in 575 Posts

I openly use forum posts to relay data back and forth. Usually no one notices.

@toplevel: See you in the funny pages.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Farmboy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,297 Times in 543 Posts

Stick to snail mail.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
    To continue to diminish the place of the handwritten in our lives is to diminish, in a small but real way, our humanity. Philip Hensher

Dunno ergo sum

18. The Following User Says Thank You to writingrav For This Useful Post:

Thanks

And face to face talk!

Enviado do meu GT-I9300 através de Tapatalk
    Best regards
    Vasco

Check out "Pena Lusa by Piscov". Pens added on a regular basis!

Link for Vintage Montblanc pens here

Link for Vintage Pelikan pens here

20. The Following User Says Thank You to piscov For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,485 Times in 1,746 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ray-VIgo View Post
    Our 20th century sensibilities regarding privacy are colliding with 21st century technology, which makes it so we essentially have no privacy. I am an admin at another board, and yes what you write can be read by anyone with access to the core functions of the forum, namely the "root". These are your core admins, the very top of the top usually, but the board owners can distribute things as they see fit. Assume anything you write in there can be read by anyone with root access, possibly more. Then again, you should now assume that someone in government somewhere can read your emails too. Written words betray, sooner or later. On the internet the only things potentially unreadable by prying eyes are things never written.

The more concerning thread is the one touting only one admin being available. That is to say, there are no others now. An admin that does not communicate or function is not an admin at all, so there is functionally only one now. It's a big board with a lot of work, as anyone would admit, but there is only one admin. It's not about efficiency or good governance. It's about control.
    That thread was puzzling to me, too.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

Thanks

Do what I have been doing the past year or so, do more posting elsewhere!

Ignore the problem, and it will go away.......
    "When, in the course of writing events, it becomes self-evident that not all pens are created equal" (Federalist Frank)

Owner-
    http://federalistpensonline.com (Online Pen Store)
    (5% Discount for FPG Members! Use Code "FPG" at checkout!)

Follow store/forum at
    Linked-In!
    Like Us on
    Facebook !

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frank For This Useful Post:

countrydirt (December 13th, 2013), piscov (December 13th, 2013)

Senior Member I like mango pudding's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Titivillus View Post
    This happens all the time. I am on several wrist watch forums and there is a lot of cross pollination of watchers on each forum. Saying disparaging comments about another forum can and does get you banned on that forum being dissed. I've seen it happen many times.

It also serves a useful purpose, that cross pollination. It helps police the communities of fraudsters, scammers and the like. Mods and admins actually to communicate to each other and help the community in that regard.

Senior Member Penne Stilografiche's Avatar
    Thanks

it's down again.

Thanks

Only one Admin....

Best regards
    Vasco

Thanks

We should request and activate the use of the Cone of Silence...

Twentieth century technology for the twenty first century...

Well {pause}...that just about covers everything...

Ok..go ahead...

Would you believe it?

Fred

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by piscov View Post
    Only one Admin....
    And he's out tonight.

Thanks

Some nice movies are premiering today. Give the Admin some slack guys... life is not just pens, boards.... some fun is needed

Best regards
    Vasco