Thread: Show off your Vintage Pens with Great Transparency!

Thanks

Default Show off your Vintage Pens with Great Transparency!

Seems like a new modern "demonstrator" hits the shelves every couple months. But vintage collectors know how very difficult the search for particular pens – even rather common models – can become when seeking an example whose celluloid has retained much of its original clarity and color. What are some of your best finds on this front? To get the ball rolling. . .

1. Parker Vacumatic Junior (1937); 2. Sheaffer Balance Statesman (c. 1936); 3. Eversharp "Round Vacuum Filler," née "Round Doric" to collectors (c. 1937-41?). All were made with an identic grey marble celluloid that seems to have been very popular in the late 30s, showing up on 3rd tier bulb fillers (e.g. Aikin Lamberts) as well.

And a common Vac Major (1946) in somewhat uncommon condition:

Last edited by popcod; March 23rd, 2017 at 12:48 PM.
    aka Estragon (FPN); popcodswallop (Reddit)

WANTED: Vintage Pens with White Trim! –> Sheaffer: OS Balance w/ reverse trim (grey/red vein); Balance (grey/red fleck) | First-Yr Crest (silver cap); Canadian Balance 5-30 (roseglow, ebonized pearl, green) | Waterman: Lady Patricia (persian) | Wahl-Eversharp: Half Coronet (rhodium cap); Doric (Cathay); Skyline (SS/Sterling Cap) | Rebadged Parkers from Diamond Medal and Webster (silver web, pinstripe, etc.)

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to popcod For This Useful Post:

amk (March 25th, 2017), AzJon (March 23rd, 2017), da vinci (March 26th, 2017), farmdogfan (March 24th, 2017), fountainpenkid (March 25th, 2017), frmamede (March 23rd, 2017), JapaG (April 23rd, 2017), Jon Szanto (March 23rd, 2017), Lady Onogaro (March 23rd, 2017), penwash (March 24th, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,067 Times in 4,019 Posts

Default Re: Show off your Vintage Pens with Great Transparency!

That's irritating - you've already won the thread! I have *never* seen a Sheaffer with that degree of transparency from that period. Remarkable. My pens are staying in the cabinet, thankyouverymuch.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Well, shucks – that sure wasn't my intent! If I've taken any lesson from this hobby, it's that there's always someone out there with a finer example of one's own white whale. I reckon I've seen nicer Vac Juniors (without a hint of yellow) from the likes of Brian McQueen and David I – to say nothing of scarcer demo and crystal variants. I'm no Vac expert, but based on my observation there appear to have been 2 variations in Vac stripe transparency: one like the above; and the other (most often found on Stds?) where the fully translucent portions are larger and even the colored stripes are semitransparent. Would be a treat to see some of those if anyone has one.

There's some insight to be had here too. I know that for my part, there've been pens I've mistakenly assumed had (mostly) opaque barrels or yellow sections from the factory until someone shared a photo of one with crystal clarity. Period advertisements don't always help, since they're often either b&w or the shades/colors have been exaggerated or otherwise altered (e.g. yellow "visulated sections" on Sheaffer Balance ads). I'm still confused by Lady Patricia Ink-Vues, for instance. Was the red pen supposed to have a red-tinted diamond pattern barrel, a clear barrel like the others, or did some of these start out yellow? Just a couple possible directions...

WANTED: Vintage Pens with White Trim! –> Sheaffer: OS Balance w/ reverse trim (grey/red vein); Balance (grey/red fleck) | First-Yr Crest (silver cap); Canadian Balance 5-30 (roseglow, ebonized pearl, green) | Waterman: Lady Patricia (persian) | Wahl-Eversharp: Half Coronet (rhodium cap); Doric (Cathay); Skyline (SS/Sterling Cap) | Rebadged Parkers from Diamond Medal and Webster (silver web, pinstripe, etc.)

Thanks

Fascinating to see the same celluloid used by three different manufacturers. And in such nice condition.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,426 Times in 2,518 Posts

I tried to take photos of mine, but they are so transparent that nothing appears in the image.

However, some of you may recall my past success in getting a shot of the ink.

2015_06_23_07_55_01.jpg

Fred

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (March 25th, 2017), popcod (March 26th, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,889 Times in 1,434 Posts

Since I've got this pen, I was hoping it will darken a bit when using it because it is to transparent for my taste...

C.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to christof For This Useful Post:

da vinci (March 26th, 2017), fountainpenkid (April 1st, 2017), popcod (March 26th, 2017)

Thanks

Very nice! It never occurred to me that the color of the "Green Ocean" pens from the 90s onward were actually based on original Pelikan demonstrators. Interessant.