Thread: dating the Parker Sonnet.

Thanks

Default dating the Parker Sonnet.

I assumed there'd be adequate information on this subject here, but nothing came up in a quick search........... but if I have that wrong, then the Mods. can delete I'm sure - no problem. The model is common enough and has been around for over twenty years with some very choice individual examples in gold plate and sterling finishes - none of which I have, yet.
    It was just the fact that these things can be dated, by their code, that made me think there might be some interest for folk who might have the odd pen but not be aware of the date coding - so have added picture of my few - plus the very useful data from Tony Fishier's amazing site - and as always thanks to Tony for making this available. Quite likely most collectors already have this information.
    That's not to say other sites don't have something similar, but you do also get the marvellous pix of Sonnets on this one.... http://parkercollector.com/codekey.html

the code is found either on the cap band, or in that location when you have a bandless cap - and as far as I'm aware all are made in France. Hope of some interest.

IIRC, from images on the Penography site, my picture shows from l. to r. ...........
    Solid Black Laque
    Deep Blue Laque
    Matte Black
    Flighter
    Premier Deep Blue Laque (I think)

Let me know if I have my id wrong - thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks

Default Re: dating the Parker Sonnet.

Some Sonnets

http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/fo...onnets1364.jpg
    http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/fo...onnets1365.jpg
    http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/fo...onnets1367.jpg
    http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/fo...onnets1368.jpg
    http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/fo...onnets1372.jpg

I collected these for a while, mainly used and at low prices. Some of the Red Firedance and gray Moonbeam patterned finishes can be variable in color. There are also some Insignia pens in the first pic, plastic barrel with a gold plated cap. These are section-compatible with Sonnet, and Insignia nibs and Sonnet nibs are interchangeable. I like these pens, but the tray is where they are.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to pajaro For This Useful Post:

PaulS (March 24th, 2017)

Thanks

thanks for the pix - they do make for a good showing - some great colours. As you'd expect, medium nibs predominate, and mine all appear to be nails, so nothing in the way of nice writing - whether more flexible nibs were out there I've no idea, and some can be quite pricey when new.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PaulS View Post
    thanks for the pix - they do make for a good showing - some great colours. As you'd expect, medium nibs predominate, and mine all appear to be nails, so nothing in the way of nice writing - whether more flexible nibs were out there I've no idea, and some can be quite pricey when new.
    I've had steel nibs and gold nibs. The gold nibs have a little bit of "give", while the steel nibs have none. Some steel nibs in the band-less Sonnets are painted gold, but the are steel. As solid as daggers.

A nice feature of Sonnet nibs: they can be unscrewed and interchanged. They have what Parker75.com calls a "thick feed" in late-model French-made P-75s.

An "ugh" feature: the Sonnets I have tend to dry out...they don't want to start even between pages. "Legend" says that Parker had trouble with an EU/US regulation that required a hole in the cap so that someone could breathe if they swallowed it.

A nifty sales variation: Parker gave away a bottle of ink with some Sonnets. The ink? Paper Penman Sapphire, the discontinued Parker ink that sells for $50 - $150 a bottle now, if you can find it. Yes, I once bought a Sonnet just to get the ink...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by welch View Post
    An "ugh" feature: the Sonnets I have tend to dry out...they don't want to start even between pages. "Legend" says that Parker had trouble with an EU/US regulation that required a hole in the cap so that someone could breathe if they swallowed it.
    The talk I always heard was that it was not that (that the same design team that made the Parker Sonnet also went to Sheaffer and designed the Sheaffer Prelude, which has a bitchin' cap seal sort of suggests this) (don't swallow your Sheaffer Prelude cap. You will not have a good time)) But that some process involving a rivet for the clip cracks the inner cap seal which rubs against it.

All water cooler talk. Take with a grain of salt.

I could be wrong. (probably am)
    Last edited by stub; April 24th, 2017 at 05:54 AM. Reason: rivets

7. The Following User Says Thank You to stub For This Useful Post:

welch (April 29th, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

I currently have one Parker Sonnet. It's a Moonbeam with a F gold nib, that came to me from Parker. Personally, I wouldn't entertain buying any Sonnet's with GP nibs, because I don't think I would be able to ascertain with 100% certainty whether they were authentic or not.

Not that I would ever want to own any Sonnet's with GP nibs, but I definitely wouldn't want to saddle myself with a fake one.

Thanks

The Internet is the leading place for dating in the modern world. So you can even get to know a person better through communication on the network and understand whether he suits you or not before meeting him in real. Here's a good chat https://isexychat.com/blog/how-to-sp...-is-a-swinger/ There's even video calling here and there's no limit on topics of conversation. I think it's great.
    Last edited by Mık Joger; December 12th, 2022 at 05:25 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,367 Times in 3,978 Posts

Spammer reported again
    Regards, Chrissy | My Review Blog: inkyfountainpens

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

TSherbs (December 13th, 2022), welch (December 17th, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,189 Times in 1,419 Posts

I did too, just for good measure

13. The Following User Says Thank You to TSherbs For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (December 13th, 2022)

Thanks

Dating in the modern world can be quite an adventure. Recently, I've been exploring the dating scene, and one of the platforms that caught my attention is https://myeden.me/ where I've had the chance to meet some incredible people. It's a great place to connect with friends, potential partners, and even just like-minded individuals for meaningful conversations and unforgettable experiences.
    Last edited by Mık Joger; March 26th, 2024 at 11:48 AM.