Thread: Questions about a 51

Thanks

Default Questions about a 51

I just bought this pen and should receive it soon. As the picture shows it has a dent in the cap. I believe the pen is a Parker 51 special and the cap is 1/8 gold filled/rolled? Is there any way to fix the dent? The picture show it as having the special stamp on the filler. The jewel appears to be black, which I think designates it as a special as well. I have read that specials didn't come with a gold cap, so I am not sure what I have purchased. Like I said above, I don't have the pen in hand either. Any help with these questions would be appreciated.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

Default Re: Questions about a 51

Sure, a jeweler or several fountain pen folk can likely remove the dent. And caps were all pretty much the same diameter.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jar View Post
    Sure, a jeweler or several fountain pen folk can likely remove the dent. And caps were all pretty much the same diameter.
    So you think this cap doesn't belong with this pen?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Linkinyeah View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jar View Post
    So you think this cap doesn't belong with this pen?

Lots of changes happen over a half century. Except of course when I am the subject. I am exactly the same as I was a half century ago. Or something like that.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,115 Times in 575 Posts

Standard cap and jewel doesn't look black.

Don't worry about the cap if you like it.

Dent no big deal to remove but might not be cost effective.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,579 Times in 943 Posts

I just bought a 51 with a rolled gold cap and a couple of dents in the cap. It writes just fine.

With the dents, it cost me $75. If I had the dents fixed, maybe $100. I'm cool with the dents.
    Lady Onogaro

"Be yourself--everybody else is already taken." --Oscar Wilde

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Farmboy View Post
    Standard cap and jewel doesn't look black.

Don't worry about the cap if you like it.

Dent no big deal to remove but might not be cost effective.
    I am sorry for asking again, but do you think this cap doesn't belong to this pen? Did specials come with a gold cap option?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Onogaro View Post
    I just bought a 51 with a rolled gold cap and a couple of dents in the cap. It writes just fine.

With the dents, it cost me $75. If I had the dents fixed, maybe $100. I'm cool with the dents.
    Well I paid $33 on Ebay for this one. The photos and description left room for a lot of questions, so I am not certain what I am getting. The photos didn't show much of the section or the sac. Hopefully I won't be disappointed, but if so, that's what I get for giving eBay my money.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,579 Times in 943 Posts

Well I paid $33 on Ebay for this one. The photos and description left room for a lot of questions, so I am not certain what I am getting. The photos didn't show much of the section or the sac. Hopefully I won't be disappointed, but if so, that's what I get for giving eBay my money.

That's a great price for a 51. You can always send it to Danny Fudge to get it spruced up (I actually bought mine from him at the Dallas Pen Show), and it would still be a good buy. I wouldn't worry about the cap. You will probably have a good workhorse that no one will think of stealing.
    Lady Onogaro

"Be yourself--everybody else is already taken." --Oscar Wilde

Thanks

That's a great price for a 51. You can always send it to Danny Fudge to get it spruced up (I actually bought mine from him at the Dallas Pen Show), and it would still be a good buy. I wouldn't worry about the cap. You will probably have a good workhorse that no one will think of stealing.
    I actually have an email out right now to Danny to see if he thought he would be able to repair the dent. I have used him a couple of times and enjoy using him.

Thanks

hi - hope your pen turns out o.k. - but you've paid small money so doubt that you can go very wrong. As most folk here will know, there is a kit available commercially made especially for removing dings from caps - whether r.g. or steel, but it would be uneconomical in this instance since it costs four or five times what you paid for your pen............. with some modification, there are kits for a variety of Parker's and Sheaffers. It's o.k. if you're going to collect 51s, but if not then better you get a professional to remove the ding - you won't know it was ever there.
    However, as already mentioned, it may well not be cost effective to have the ding removed professionally - why not keep the pen as is, since this is a minor cosmetic issue.

You're correct about the metal for caps on 'Specials' - according to the books they were steel only, and assume you have the matching octanium nib, as opposed to gold, but regret your pix are unclear and can't see if the cap jewel is black or pearl. Putting head on block and taking a punt, it is just possible that your cap is a mis-match, and is in fact a r.g. example from a standard 51 featuring a transition clip - c. 1947 to c. 1950 - this clip was longer than the clip it replaced (the fletching was longer too).

But whatever, you've a nice pen - but since folk will steal anything these days, would suggest you take care with it.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to PaulS For This Useful Post:

Linkinyeah (March 27th, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,498 Times in 4,013 Posts

Even if the cap would have originally been a Lustraloy cap, and the nib would have originally been Octanium and not gold, you've got a good pen for your money. As long as it's in good condition, and it writes, I wouldn't worry too much about the dent in the cap. It will probably cost more to fix that than what you paid for your pen in any case.

Once you receive your pen and check out the nib, you never know, but you might decide that changing the nib is a better option for you than having a dent in the cap repaired.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Linkinyeah (March 27th, 2017)

Thanks

Of course, try the nib. The "octanium" nib is pretty good, and we write with the tip anyway. My first "successful" 51 was a 51 Special. I had "won" several banged up and worn down 51's...was beginning to wonder why so many people claimed they were great writers. Then a burgundy 51 Special arrived with a plump tip and properly aligned tines...my everyday pen until I gave it to my daughter as a "you keep a journal, so try this" present.

As others have said, a dented cap doesn't matter much as long as the pen writes.

Congratulations and well played EBay-ing. Many buyers will skip a pen with a dented cap...that one is the bargain!

Thanks

Is the nib in that pen Octanium (steel) or is it gold? I couldn't tell from the picture. Some people say everything with a filler sheath saying "SPECIAL" is a Special, but some have gold nibs and are "Standards," which is more like an ordinary 51. Changing the nib requires heating and removing the hood. Heat the hood too much, and it will deform. More heat will possibly restore it if it is not too far gone. Are you ready for this? Of course, you could have a pro do it. Try to find a medium or wider nib. Rara avis. Expensive when found. Maybe you like to write with a fine nib or extra fine anyway.

Thanks

The pen was sent off to Danny Fudge, along with another 51 I won on Ebay. I believe the pen had a steel nib. I tried heating up the hood to loosen it and get a better look but I had no luck. I am hoping he is able to remove the dent to the point that it is not noticeable. I will post pics when I get it back.