Thread: Hi from Portland Maine!

Thanks

Default Hi from Portland Maine!

I decided to finally join here after a long time of surfing the forums for info here and there.

I just finished restoring four old fountain pens and love to use them for drawing. I hope to share some of the pens and drawings I have here soon! I noticed I have a tendency to pick up all the old traditions such as shaving with a straight razor or writing with a fountain pen. LOL

What got you interested in fountain pens?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

Default Re: Hi from Portland Maine!

Welcome home. Pull up a stump and set a spell.

I came to fountain pens late in life. As a child starting school we had to bring our own stones to scratch lines into the cave wall. For art we had to chew charcoal and ocher to spit over our hands leaving shadow paintings. Later we learned to sharpen sticks and make better drawings of the bison that almost killed us yesterday and the mastodon that used to chase us on our way to school.

Later we learned to search for the GREAT Fire bird and steal feathers. We went down to the stream and found rocks that we could split giving us sharp edges that could be used to shape the end of the feather into a nib. We would chew up the charcoal or ocher and mix it with water and fat to get lovely inks, red and black, purple and brown. But we had no paper and so tried to write on the hide of the antelope. Unfortunately they refused to stand still so writing became a challenge and often left us gasping for breath.

Thanks

Welcome fellow newbie. I owe my FP addiction to the Pen Addict podcast. I've always been a stationary fan, but never was a fan of fountain pens until I started hearing them transition from talking about ballpoints etc.. to fountain pens. I decided to try one out on the more affordable level with a few jinhaos and I abused those pens badly but not knowing the proper way to use/care for them. I ended up buying a Pilot Metro from someone in the Field Nuts FB group on a whim and I loved it and that was basically it for me. I'm still relatively new and working my way up the FP ladder so to speak. Started with $4 pens and now I'm at about the $50 level. I'm a writer so there's something very enjoyable about breaking out one of my fountain pens and a good notebook and just writing.

Thanks

Thanks

Welcome!
    I got into fountain pens not too long ago and it all started with Youtube videos. I guess I have always been google happy when I needed to research something.
    I think it may have been the pursuit of a Kaweco Classic Sport fountain pen that sparked my interest.
    I used to pass up fountain pens because I thought they were too complicated and hard to clean. My sister gave me a Pen and Ink Drawing set and I would be annoyed when I realized that ( after months of non-use ) the installed cartridge dried up. How Dare it! :O
    I slowly learned through my ignorance, that even though it required a little more maintenance than a regular pen, a fountain pen was more personal And could be refilled/reused beyond my lifetime I still find it fascinating that there are so many relics out there that have survived past their first owners lifetimes and if treated properly can be passed on to many more.

Congratulations on your restorations What pens have you restored?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,579 Times in 943 Posts

I hope you will post your drawings and sketches soon.
    Lady Onogaro

"Be yourself--everybody else is already taken." --Oscar Wilde

Thanks

Hello and welcome from Indiana! I got into fountain pens as an adult after making a few.
    Please visit my store

Brands we carry: Benu Pen, Conklin, Kaweco, Monteverde, TWSBI - Diamine, J Herbin - Clairefontaine, Rhodia, Whitelines

Thanks

Hello and welcome aboard.

InCoWri 2018, Letter Writers Alliance Member, Postable link: www.postable.com/bradharris, postcrossing

Thanks

Welcome from a FPG in Gorham Maine! I started using fountain pens just a few years back, and have been having a great time using and playing with them. FPGeeks forum is a great place for continuing your education. Enjoy!

Thanks
    Thanked 6,714 Times in 1,973 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by twenty3x View Post
    I decided to finally join here after a long time of surfing the forums for info here and there.

I just finished restoring four old fountain pens and love to use them for drawing. I hope to share some of the pens and drawings I have here soon! I noticed I have a tendency to pick up all the old traditions such as shaving with a straight razor or writing with a fountain pen. LOL

What got you interested in fountain pens?
    Welcome, and feel free to share your fountain pen sketches on this thread:
    https://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread...n-pen-sketches
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

Thanks

Welcome.
    We have met the enemy and he is us.
    -Pogo

Thanks

Hello and welcome from Regina, SK.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Mags or Rob Maguire MB 149, 147, 146,144, Mozart, Boehme, Sailor Realo, Aurora Optima, Churchmen Prescriptor and Parson's Essential, Parker 51 1.3 mm stub, Parker Vacumatic 1939 OB Can, TWSBI's (540,580, Mini and Vac 700), Pelikan M 1000/800 Demonstrator 600/200 demoM/200 OBB, Visconti Rembrandts (2), Lamy, Cross, Watermans, Pilots, Sheaffer's, Omas 360 LE 84/360, GvFC, Esterbrooks J and SJ, Bexley Jitterbug, Taccia, Eversharp 1952 flex, Edison Herald, Franklin Christoph Piper.

Thanks

Welcome!