Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ink Review: Pelikan Edelstein Ink of the Year 2017: Smoky Quartz

Thanks
    Thanked 10,361 Times in 3,977 Posts

Default Ink Review: Pelikan Edelstein Ink of the Year 2017: Smoky Quartz

Smoky Quartz5.jpg

Today I’m reviewing a sample of the latest Pelikan Edelstein Ink of the Year for 2017 Smoky Quartz

Smoky Quartz is an unusual brown ink.
    When you first write with it you can see that it’s an earthy, olive brown, although when it’s completely dry it seems to exhibit just a little more red.
    I found it was a nicely wet ink that had really good flow and lubrication while I was writing with it.
    I didn’t see any spread or feathering on most of the papers I tried it with.
    With broader nibs it looks much darker.
    It showed through on some of the papers I used. See the pictures.

Smoky Quartz is nicely saturated, especially with my M nib. It exhibited some shading with the M nib in my Pilot Capless or VP. I didn’t see any sheen.

I found it behaved very well, and I really like it. I didn’t experience any clogging or clean-up problems with it. In fact clean-up was very easy. It washes off hands with soap and water.

It exhibited good water resistance.

I found it difficult to compare Smoky Quartz with other brown inks that are similar. Many of those that I have are either darker or lighter, with more red, or more grey. The closest ink that I found to match Smoky Quartz is Noodler’s Walnut. So for those of you who really like that colour, but might prefer a different brand, Smoky Quartz is my recommendation.

It has a really interesting chroma that shows a mixture of several dyes including grey, blue, orange and yellow.

• This isn't sold as a waterproof ink, but it shows good water resistance.
    • Bearing in mind the review form paper I use is thick with a quite shiny surface at 100gsm, and I used a M nib, this ink dried after 16 seconds.
    • No smear after dry.
    • It has good flow and I found it smooth to write with. I saw no skips or hard starts while I did swabs and dry time tests.
    • It is available as a limited edition in either 50ml glass bottles or standard international cartridges.

P.E Smoky Quartz.jpegAttachment 31413P.E Smoky Quartz 1.jpgP.E.Smoky Quartz_0008.JPG
    Last edited by Chrissy; February 3rd, 2019 at 09:19 AM.

2. The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Ahriman4891 (August 21st, 2017), AzJon (April 3rd, 2017), Brewster (July 21st, 2017), carlos.q (April 3rd, 2017), Cyril (October 16th, 2017), dneal (April 4th, 2017), earthdawn (April 4th, 2017), EHV (April 6th, 2017), Fouez (April 3rd, 2017), fountainpenkid (August 21st, 2017), gylyf (April 7th, 2017), inklord (April 4th, 2017), jodylud (August 21st, 2017), KKay (April 3rd, 2017), KrazyIvan (April 10th, 2017), Lady Onogaro (April 3rd, 2017), Marsilius (August 22nd, 2017), penwash (September 27th, 2017), RuiFromUK (April 4th, 2017)

Thanks

Default Re: Ink Review: Pelikan Edelstein Ink of the Year 2017: Smoky Quartz

Another great review. Not sure it's for me personally, I only have one brown ink, Diamine Macassar, which I really like.
    Many thanks for the review.

Thanks

Ah, the chroma is a veritable rainbow. Thanks for the review, Chrissy! It's an... organic brown. One of those that reminds me of what you get when you process grass through a cow... But in a good way. I can't get any sheen from it at all either; I would describe it as matte but not "dusty". I also found it, in my very limited trials, to be a surprisingly quick drier, but I suspect the medium Pelikan M200 nib I was using is uncharacteristically arid.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to grainweevil For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (August 20th, 2017), Marsilius (September 18th, 2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RocketRyan View Post
    Another great review. Not sure it's for me personally, I only have one brown ink, Diamine Macassar, which I really like.
    You're welcome. I also have Diamine Macassar - a really dark brown.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by grainweevil View Post
    Ah, the chroma is a veritable rainbow. Thanks for the review, Chrissy! It's an... organic brown. One of those that reminds me of what you get when you process grass through a cow... But in a good way. I can't get any sheen from it at all either; I would describe it as matte but not "dusty". I also found it, in my very limited trials, to be a surprisingly quick drier, but I suspect the medium Pelikan M200 nib I was using is uncharacteristically arid.
    Yes it is. You're welcome - yes an organic brown.

Thanks

Thanks for the review! A very interesting ink. It actually reminds me most of J. Herbin Lie de Thé. Brown, but with a greenish undertone. I would be curious to see the two side by side. I reckon they would be a very close match.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to AzJon For This Useful Post:

inklord (April 4th, 2017)

Thanks

To my eye, and on limited acquaintance with both, Lie de Thé seems rather lighter and more yellow.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,282 Times in 556 Posts

Hm... interesting. I think my Noodler's Walnut is much darker, and your sample (at least on my screen) leans more towards KWZI's Aztec Gold, when dried (not an exact match; a leaning).

Great review. I'm hoping to find this ink in a shop somewhere so's I can buy it. (Laughs.)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ethernautrix For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (August 20th, 2017)

Thanks

For comparison. This is Lie De The on cream Tomoe River paper out of a (fairly) dry pen.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to AzJon For This Useful Post:

Detman101 (February 2nd, 2021)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AzJon View Post
    Thanks for the review! A very interesting ink. It actually reminds me most of J. Herbin Lie de Thé. Brown, but with a greenish undertone. I would be curious to see the two side by side. I reckon they would be a very close match.
    You're welcome. I don't have Herbin Lie de Thé

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ethernautrix View Post
    Hm... interesting. I think my Noodler's Walnut is much darker, and your sample (at least on my screen) leans more towards KWZI's Aztec Gold, when dried (not an exact match; a leaning).

Great review. I'm hoping to find this ink in a shop somewhere so's I can buy it. (Laughs.)
    My Noodler's Walnut is a sample that a friend sent me, and although it's not a match for Smoky Quartz, it looked like the closest ink that I had available.
    Last edited by Chrissy; April 4th, 2017 at 12:18 AM.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

KKay (April 3rd, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,578 Times in 943 Posts

Thanks for the review, Chrissy. I'm still on the fence about this one. I think I need to try a sample.
    Lady Onogaro

"Be yourself--everybody else is already taken." --Oscar Wilde

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Lady Onogaro For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketRyan View Post
    You're welcome. I also have Diamine Macassar - a really dark brown.
    Really suits the tortoise colour Delta dolcevita I have it in currently.

Thanks

It actually reminds me most of J. Herbin Lie de Thé. Brown, but with a greenish undertone. I would be curious to see the two side by side.
    I fished out my sample cards of the two - colour is as best as I can get it (at least on my screen).

smokyquartzliedethe.jpg

22. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to grainweevil For This Useful Post:

Ahriman4891 (September 19th, 2017), AzJon (April 4th, 2017), Detman101 (February 2nd, 2021), Hawk (September 27th, 2017), inklord (April 4th, 2017), KKay (April 4th, 2017), RuiFromUK (April 4th, 2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by grainweevil View Post
    It actually reminds me most of J. Herbin Lie de Thé. Brown, but with a greenish undertone. I would be curious to see the two side by side.
    I fished out my sample cards of the two - colour is as best as I can get it (at least on my screen).

smokyquartzliedethe.jpg

Thank you! Looks like Smoky Quartz is a bit more saturated, but very similar tone.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to AzJon For This Useful Post:

Marsilius (September 18th, 2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Onogaro View Post
    Thanks for the review, Chrissy. I'm still on the fence about this one. I think I need to try a sample.
    You're welcome. In dry writers it comes out lighter. I need to try it out in a really wet writing pen. Does anyone have any recommendations?
    Last edited by Chrissy; August 20th, 2017 at 09:06 PM.

Thanks

Hello Chrissy , Thanks for the excellent review on Smoky Quartz Ink , I am waiting for mine to arrive . I have few Brown ink per below :-

1. Pilot Iroshizuku Yama-Guri
    2. MontBlanc Toffee Brown
    3. J. Herbin's Lie De The'
    4. J Herbin's 1670 caroube de chypre

Just wondering how differences is the smoky Quartz compared with current Brown ink that I have .

Thanks
    Raymond Lim

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Raysclim For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,788 Times in 1,642 Posts

Surprised and pleased with this ink; I actually bought a whole bottle straight off.
    "Nolo esse salus sine vobis ...” —St. Augustine

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VertOlive For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (August 20th, 2017), Schaumburg_Swan (April 16th, 2023)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Raysclim View Post
    Hello Chrissy , Thanks for the excellent review on Smoky Quartz Ink , I am waiting for mine to arrive . I have few Brown ink per below :-

1. Pilot Iroshizuku Yama-Guri
    2. MontBlanc Toffee Brown
    3. J. Herbin's Lie De The'
    4. J Herbin's 1670 caroube de chypre

Just wondering how differences is the smoky Quartz compared with current Brown ink that I have .

Thanks
    Raymond Lim
    You're welcome.

I didn't compare Smoky Quartz next to any of those brown inks, but grainweevil and azjon have both compared it next to J. Herbin Lie de Thé to find that it's darker.

Montblanc Toffee brown is a nice brown, but it's more red than Smoky Quartz.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by VertOlive View Post
    Surprised and pleased with this ink; I actually bought a whole bottle straight off.
    Good for you.