Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Esterbrook Aficionados

jor412

Default Re: Esterbrook Aficionados

I just checked. The dipless Estie nibs are the same as the regular Estie nibs.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,039 Times in 4,010 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jor412 View Post
    I just checked. The dipless Estie nibs are the same as the regular Estie nibs.
    Aha... except for the 5xxx series. I purchased a Dip-Less desk set, the 427 (a double well version of the 407). The two pens that came with this were both made for, and fitted with, a 5xxx series nib, in this case 5886. There are no threads on either the nib or in the 'section' of the barrel, and they are just smooth round ends that 'plug' into the barrel. The nib is held in place over the feed by a kind of wedge/lever (hard to explain, and can't shoot a pic at the moment). I've only seen one other of this series mentioned, a 5556 (firm fine), but they are denoted as "Dip-Less nibs".

jor412

Would be great to see a pic when you've got the time. I haven't seen a 5xxx series nib. How do they write? Apart from the section, are there other differences between 5xxx series and the other Estie nibs? [This is my attempt to return to the OP as I fear my dipless remarks have taken us far from the favorite Estie nib question ]
    Last edited by jor412; April 16th, 2013 at 04:42 PM. Reason: typo

Thanks

Would be great to see a pic when you've got the time. I haven't seen a 5xxx series nib. How do they write? Apart from the section, are there other differences between 5xxx series and the other Estie nibs? [This is my attempt to return to the OP as I fear my dipless remarks have taken us far from the favorite Estie nib question ]
    Yeah, sorry. At some point I'll get some shots... somehow (my early digital does really, really poorly at macro. Not sure why) According to Brian Anderson's info, there are a handful of 5xxx nibs. Like I mentioned, my is a 5886, and the nib itself looks very much like a 2886, and seems to write like that - nothing remarkable, but works fine.

Thanks

If you want to see something different (and maybe put down a bunch of $$$), here's a chance to see an Esterbrook Demonstrator.

jor412

Really interesting. I didn't know they made demonstrators. What a unique piece. I wonder how high the bidding will go

Thanks

Just to keep the thread complete - the selling price was $255.
    ... Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working [Pablo Picasso] ...

jor412

Pretty & expensive. It isn't unreasonable though if one is a collector of Esterbrooks. (An olive green lamy safari was going for over $640 when I checked last week!)

Thanks

Pretty & expensive. It isn't unreasonable though if one is a collector of Esterbrooks. (An olive green lamy safari was going for over $640 when I checked last week!)
    That's the interesting thing about collecting. Normally the market value of an object is what the average person is prepared to pay. But with collectors you get a skewed subset of average people (talking statistically, not descriptively!) bidding competitively on something that is in short supply. End result: prices sky-rocket, way above ordinary market value. There are probably two motivations to this - a willingness to pay out to complete a set (the collector) - and a willingness to pay above market value, because prices will probably keep rising (the investor/speculator) - and of course a single person could be motivated by both.

But, even though I don't consider myself a collector, I am sure that every time I buy a vintage pen, I pay more that the "average person" would be willing to pay (because this would include non-users of FPs).

Aw, heck, now I'm getting all philosophical, or theoretical, or something.

jor412

I'm not a collector either and I'm unwilling to spend unreasonable amounts for anything actually. Then again reasonable and reasonable ultimately depend on the person spending the money. Then there's another category: sinful! hehehe

Thanks

Indulgence is fun!

Thanks

My favorites are the 9312 and 2312 italics and the 9460 medium. 9284 broad stub right behind.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to pajaro For This Useful Post:

KrazyIvan (April 24th, 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pajaro View Post
    My favorites are the 9312 and 2312 italics and the 9460 medium. 9284 broad stub right behind.
    Those sound interesting. I wonder how hard they are to find.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyIvan View Post
    Those sound interesting. I wonder how hard they are to find.
    They were fairly hard to find. I bought one 2312 italic for about $38, a buy it now on ebay. The other 2312 came in a J pen, about $35 or so. The 9312 came in a dark blue Safari pump filler for about $40. They weren't real expensive, it just took a lot of looking to find them. I did pay about $40 for a pen with a 9312 italic, but the nib was broken.

The italics are the nibs I use mostly of the Esties. I enjoy them.

Thanks

My favorites are the 9312 and 2312 italics...
    I know these kind of issues are hard to describe in words, but could you possible describe the difference between the 9312 and a 9314-M (same would be with the 2xxx variants)?

Thanks

The 9312 and 2312 are medium italics, cut straight across. The 9314-F, 9314-M, 9314-B, 2314-F, 2314-M and 2314-B are Relief nibs, the Esterbrook term for oblique nibs. The Relief nibs are cut at a slight angle. Attachment 2102Attachment 2103
    The top pic is a 2312. The second is a 9314-B, I think.
    Last edited by pajaro; April 25th, 2013 at 07:44 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

I just ordered an Osmiroid italic to start. Anderson Pens has them for $6.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

Thanks

I have tried the Osmiroid italic nibs, and they are pretty good. Probably these give you more bang for the buck. I smoothed the edges some on these.

Thanks

[COLOR="#000080"]The 9312 and 2312 are medium italics, cut straight across. The 9314-F, 9314-M, 9314-B, 2314-F, 2314-M and 2314-B are Relief nibs, the Esterbrook term for oblique nibs. The Relief nibs are cut at a slight angle.
    How are the oblique nibs to write with? They are a world of mystery to me. I never know, being right handed, whether I'm supposed to use a right or a left oblique. And then I see some people name them the other way around. Are they hard to use, if you have the correct oblique? I'm thinking it would require you to hold the pen differently.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cedargirl View Post
    [COLOR="#000080"]The 9312 and 2312 are medium italics, cut straight across. The 9314-F, 9314-M, 9314-B, 2314-F, 2314-M and 2314-B are Relief nibs, the Esterbrook term for oblique nibs. The Relief nibs are cut at a slight angle.
    How are the oblique nibs to write with? They are a world of mystery to me. I never know, being right handed, whether I'm supposed to use a right or a left oblique. And then I see some people name them the other way around. Are they hard to use, if you have the correct oblique? I'm thinking it would require you to hold the pen differently.

I think you understand it. The obliques were supposedly made for people who rotate the pen. I suppose the oblique nib puts them back on the sweet spot.

Link to Richard Binder's reference: http://www.richardspens.com/?refp=wysiwyg