Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pilot Prera

Thanks

Default Pilot Prera

My favorite Asian low cost pen is a Pilot Prera. It is also my favorite all around low cost pen. I prefer it over my Lamy Vista.

I think it is underrated as a entry level pen. It has a nice solid feel. A fairly decent nib. It is a fine writer as most Asian pens are. It is compact in size. Fits nicely in a shirt pocket.

There are color versions and demonstrator versions. The demonstrator features translucent ends in eight different colors. The solid color version comes in nine different colors.

I have four of them. One demonstrator and three of the solid versions.

I have seen this pen for as low as $34 US.

I personally recommend this pen. I use it as one of my primary writers when I need a fine point.

This is not a review. I seriously think this pen is way underrated and deserves more attention.
    Last edited by thagbert; April 11th, 2013 at 08:48 PM.
    --------------------------------
    I am but a simple caveman.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to thagbert For This Useful Post:

Marsilius (May 22nd, 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,297 Times in 543 Posts

Default Re: Pilot Prera

I agree entirely.

Thanks

There are also some limited (edition, production.. Don't really know) that are demonstrators with solid color end caps, like my beloved white one..

✖ Ilan Gai ✒ An Addict ✖

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by thagbert View Post
    My favorite Asian low cost pen is a Pilot Prera. It is also my favorite all around low cost pen. I prefer it over my Lamy Vista.
    I've been thinking of getting one of these. Personally, I think Safaris are overrated.
    I don't suppose you have a Pilot Metropolitan. That's the other one I've been thinking of.
    I'd be interested in a comparison (I realise they are different price brackets).
    ... Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working [Pablo Picasso] ...

6. The Following User Says Thank You to cedargirl For This Useful Post:

thagbert (May 13th, 2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cedargirl View Post
    I've been thinking of getting one of these. Personally, I think Safaris are overrated.
    I don't suppose you have a Pilot Metropolitan. That's the other one I've been thinking of.
    I'd be interested in a comparison (I realise they are different price brackets).
    I don't own a Metropolitan, but what i really like about pilot pens (at list with these price range.. like the Prera, Metro, Plumix etc.) is that the nibs are interchangeable.. On my Prera, i have a Medium Italic nib from a Plumix.
    As for the difference.. i mainly don't like the looks of the Metro, and the Prera really feels more than it worths..
    ✖ Ilan Gai ✒ An Addict ✖

Thanks

The range of nib choices and ease of exchange on the Safari is hard to beat, but as for feel and look of the pen in general both the Prera and Metropolitan have it beat. Keeping in mind that we're talking about the difference between a $15 pen and a (at least) $40 pen the Metropolitan has a classiness of feel and design that is hard to beat.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ilangai View Post
    There are also some limited (edition, production.. Don't really know) that are demonstrators with solid color end caps, like my beloved white one..
    I saw one of those. Thought it may have been an older model. When did you purchase yours?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cedargirl View Post
    I'd be interested in a comparison (I realize they are different price brackets).
    I too think the Lamys are overrated. They have a lightweight feel to me. I much prefer the Prera.

I have looked at the Metropolitan. But I am not fond of metal barreled pens. They have an insubstantial feel to me. It's a nice looking pen when posted.

I would not be surprised if they have the same nib and performance characteristics. The Metropolitan is cheaper to manufacture than the Prera and therefore priced lower.

Thanks

I saw one of those. Thought it may have been an older model. When did you purchase yours?
    I think about two months ago.. Maybe even less. I bought it from an eBay seller that wrote it's limited, might be also an older model not being produced anymore.. Either way, I love the looks of it more than the colored semi translucent end caps.
    ✖ Ilan Gai ✒ An Addict ✖

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ilangai View Post
    The demonstrators are standard models here in Japan...

There is another difference: The demonstrators ("iro-ai" models) always come bundled with a CON-50 converter. There's is also a third nib option next fo F and M: CM (= calligraphy, i.e. a stub nib. And I presume it does not have any tipping. I have not seen such a nib in any store yet...).

http://www.pilot.co.jp/products/pen/...-ai/index.html
    Last edited by Pinkys.Brain; April 12th, 2013 at 09:08 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pinkys.Brain View Post
    The demonstrators are standard models here in Japan...
    I can find demonstrators here also, the solid color end caps are more difficult to find.. If these are also standard models in Japan, that only add another reason for me wanting to move there ;-)
    ✖ Ilan Gai ✒ An Addict ✖

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

When I first learned about the Prera, I wanted one. The prices got out of control but if I could find one under $40 and with a stub, I might get it. As far as comparison to Lamy, well to each his own.

I have said this before, the Safari holds a special place in my hand as it was the pen I learned to use a proper tripod grip. I also learned to control my death grip with a Safari. (Still working on the force choke though. ) I attribute all of that to the light weight and balance of the pen along with the triangular section. It is a school pen and thus should have all those attributes. I used to like heftier pens but I discovered it was because it counter balances the death grip. I have learned that heftiness does not always equate quality either. The Safari is a very sturdy pen.
    Last edited by KrazyIvan; April 12th, 2013 at 11:58 AM.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

Thanks

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyIvan View Post
    When I first learned about the Prera, I wanted one. The prices got out of control but if I could find one under $40 I might get it. As far as comparison to Lamy, well to each his own.

I have said this before, the Safari holds a special place in my hand as it was the pen I learned to use a proper tripod grip. I also learned to control my death grip with a Safari. (Still working on the force choke though. ) I attribute all of that to the light weight and balance of the pen along with the triangular section. It is a school pen and thus should have all those attributes. I used to like heftier pens but I discovered it was because it counter balances the death grip. I have learned that heftiness does not always equate quality either. The Safari is a very sturdy pen.
    I agree with your comments. I think the keyword is school pen. It is very sturdy and helps train you to a proper tripod grip. If you want to learn a proper grip then this pen will help you with that. I do like the way it writes. The cap is a little large for me. It is the best value in a low cost pen out there.

I have seen the Prera demonstrator for $45 with shipping and the solid color model for $42 with shipping. I saw it for $22 on a Japanese site but was unable to figure out some convoluted shipping process.
    Last edited by thagbert; April 12th, 2013 at 11:15 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by writingrav View Post
    Shipping is $5. Ships from Hong Kong. Payment is PayPal.

This site has a lot of Asian pens!

Hero, Jinhao, Baoer, Pilot, and Sailor.
    Last edited by thagbert; April 22nd, 2013 at 12:34 PM.

Thanks

I love my Prera and now that you lovely people have given alternatives to nibs I will be so looking into that. I enjoy everything about the Prera that I wish I had a few more (probably one of the few pens I own that I would write with day in and day out and never give it a pen-vacation).

As for the Lamy's, well it's a functional pen but the only thing I don't like is that you have to buy your converter separately, why not just charge us the extra $5 or so and sell them at the same time. Sorry, that just annoys me esp since they have proprietary cartridges. I don't dislike the Safari's but I just love the Prera more.

<snip>
    I have said this before, the Safari holds a special place in my hand as it was the pen I learned to use a proper tripod grip.
    <snip>
    I mainly write with a quadripod grip (The pen is held with the tip of the thumb, index finger, and third finger and rests against the side of the fourth finger. The thumb and index finger form a circle) which made my initial experience with the Safari quite interesting. I can however still use this grip with the safari but it took some getting used to. Occasionally I write with a tripod grip but rarely.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by writingrav View Post
    I revised my initial post to reflect I want a stub nib. I wonder if the Pilot 78G B or BB nibs are interchangable with the Prera. I think someone mentioned that they are.

I agree with your comments. I think the keyword is school pen. It is very sturdy and helps train you to a proper tripod grip. If you want to learn a proper grip then this pen will help you with that. I do like the way it writes. The cap is a little large for me. It is the best value in a low cost pen out there.

I have seen the Prera demonstrator for $45 with shipping and the solid color model for $42 with shipping. I saw it for $22 on a Japanese site but was unable to figure out some convoluted shipping process.
    Definitely a school pen but I find that I can get away with the charcoal in an office setting just fine. I don't post either so it does not look ridiculously tall. My Al-Star in blue can also fly by unnoticed, which seems odd.

Quote Originally Posted by caribbean_skye View Post
    I love my Prera and now that you lovely people have given alternatives to nibs I will be so looking into that. I enjoy everything about the Prera that I wish I had a few more (probably one of the few pens I own that I would write with day in and day out and never give it a pen-vacation).

As for the Lamy's, well it's a functional pen but the only thing I don't like is that you have to buy your converter separately, why not just charge us the extra $5 or so and sell them at the same time. Sorry, that just annoys me esp since they have proprietary cartridges. I don't dislike the Safari's but I just love the Prera more.

I mainly write with a quadripod grip (The pen is held with the tip of the thumb, index finger, and third finger and rests against the side of the fourth finger. The thumb and index finger form a circle) which made my initial experience with the Safari quite interesting. I can however still use this grip with the safari but it took some getting used to. Occasionally I write with a tripod grip but rarely.
    Isellpens.com includes the converter and is where I bought my Safari.

Thanks

I revised my initial post to reflect I want a stub nib. I wonder if the Pilot 78G B or BB nibs are interchangable with the Prera. I think someone mentioned that they are.
    I would definitely go for a stub nib for my Prera. Keep me posted.

Thanks

I would definitely go for a stub nib for my Prera. Keep me posted.
    Do you think you could post a picture of the nib/feed, front and back, just to get an idea?

Thanks

Do you think you could post a picture of the nib/feed, front and back, just to get an idea?
    I found this image.

Pilot Nib.jpg

23. The Following User Says Thank You to thagbert For This Useful Post:

kemuri (July 3rd, 2013)