Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PLEASE SHOW A LITTLE COMMON COURTESY

Thanks

Default PLEASE SHOW A LITTLE COMMON COURTESY

I'm so sorry for posting a rant but with the newer members I feel it's necessary. Guys when someone lists a sale, please don't publicly post the "better deal" or discuss all the pros and cons. If you want to tell about the seller being great to deal with or give good words about the pen it's fine. If you want to help someone that you might think is expecting too much or being unreasonable, use the private message button. If a seller is blatantly mis representing or trying to swindle someone then say whatever. Other than that please don't sabotage a seller. It could be you getting sabotaged one day.

2. The Following 22 Users Say Thank You to Curtisvan For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

BayesianPrior (April 11th, 2017), BillH (April 13th, 2017), carlos.q (April 11th, 2017), Dreck (April 11th, 2017), fountainpagan (April 11th, 2017), fpnut (April 11th, 2017), FredRydr (April 11th, 2017), gylyf (April 14th, 2017), Haefennasiel (May 10th, 2017), HitBoi (April 14th, 2017), inklord (April 11th, 2017), jar (April 11th, 2017), jmccarty3 (April 11th, 2017), Jon Szanto (April 11th, 2017), KrazyIvan (April 11th, 2017), mandrbeck (April 11th, 2017), penultress (April 12th, 2017), Sailor Kenshin (April 13th, 2017), sanjinp (April 12th, 2017), stub (April 11th, 2017), Wade (April 11th, 2017), Woody (April 11th, 2017)

Thanks

Default Re: PLEASE SHOW A LITTLE COMMON COURTESY

Thanks for stepping up and saying "it".

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to inklord For This Useful Post:

fpnut (April 11th, 2017), Jon Szanto (April 11th, 2017), Woody (April 11th, 2017)

Thanks

This is a public forum. It costs absolutely nothing to create a post saying you want to sell something. I don't think that entitles you to special protection from any comments anyone feels compelled to make.

You get what you pay for.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brilliant Bill For This Useful Post:

spellking (April 11th, 2017), StrongerLove (April 11th, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Brilliant Bill View Post
    This is a public forum. It costs absolutely nothing to create a post saying you want to sell something. I don't think that entitles you to special protection from any comments anyone feels compelled to make.

Yes, we understand there are people that feel like you do.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jar For This Useful Post:

Dreck (April 11th, 2017), inklord (April 11th, 2017), Patrick (May 8th, 2017), Woody (April 11th, 2017)

Thanks

I follow the adage advice for, "treat others how you want to be treated" therefore, I follow the 3 monkeys as well, See, Hear, and Speak. If there is a bad deal, I bite my tongue and hope for the best.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Drummergeorge For This Useful Post:

Wade (April 11th, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,070 Times in 4,021 Posts

That is a bunch of bullshit.

Even though we seem to have a completely rudderless ship, and there is no way to intervene officially because the absentee owner has never allowed anyone to have any control over day-to-day options, this is IN FACT a site that is driven by it's membership.

Many have been here for years, and there is an accrued value in the content of the forum, contributed "free of charge" by the members. There is every reason in the world for the people who have added to this site for years to have not only a say in how things go - ESPESCIALLY in light of the lack of governance - but to also address those who are new to the site. To have that kind of behavior, and to callously interfere with the people utilizing the sales areas, is simply unacceptable.

I have no love of the sales forum. I actually wish it didn't exist. But since it does, and since I know there are good people (as well as others) involved in it, I am going to extend them every courtesy. The concept of "getting what you pay for" is completely fucked up, because this community has "paid" for it with the level of interest and contribution over the years that very much does entitle the concept of a code of conduct, written or otherwise.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

12. The Following 25 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

AzJon (April 11th, 2017), Beowulf50 (April 12th, 2017), Chrissy (April 11th, 2017), Deb (April 11th, 2017), dr.grace (April 11th, 2017), Dreck (April 11th, 2017), EHV (April 12th, 2017), fountainpenkid (April 11th, 2017), fpnut (April 11th, 2017), FredRydr (April 11th, 2017), gylyf (April 14th, 2017), inklord (April 11th, 2017), jar (April 11th, 2017), Lady Onogaro (April 11th, 2017), MCWB (April 11th, 2017), MmmCuppycakes (May 11th, 2017), Patrick (May 8th, 2017), penwash (April 11th, 2017), Rossler (April 20th, 2017), Scooby921 (April 11th, 2017), stub (May 1st, 2017), Susan314109 (April 11th, 2017), Wade (April 11th, 2017), wangminze (April 11th, 2017), Woody (April 11th, 2017)

Thanks

I'm afraid I have to agree with brilliantbill in exchange for fee less selling you are going to get free speech.
    That is the nature of an open forum.
    Maybe we need to make a statement that you advertise your wares at your own risk! Make it a sticky at the top of the forum, then everyone knows! Otherwise we end up with these same old dull rants about things that can't be policed. Or we need to get an administrator to make some actual rules.
    Of course then we will probably end up as stuffy as FPN, and no one wants that.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to RocketRyan For This Useful Post:

Brilliant Bill (April 11th, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,070 Times in 4,021 Posts

The nature of an open forum is to have free, open, and vibrant dialogue in the DISCUSSION FORUM areas.

A sales area is a completely different beast, as anyone with common sense can appreciate. This very item has been discussed in the past, and the general consensus has been that it is unacceptable to undercut the activities of any honest sale going on, and the place for commentary is if there is any indication of wrong-doing, scams, etc.

No one wants stuffy. If you had been around for any of the history on this board, you'd know that, in spades. The difference is that with the freedom afforded us, it is even more important that we take the responsibility to treat each other well. Fucking around with other people's sales threads is as lame as it gets, a really amateur move. Not going to happen.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

16. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

AzJon (April 11th, 2017), coolpenz (May 1st, 2017), Doromath (April 12th, 2017), Dreck (April 11th, 2017), EHV (April 12th, 2017), fpnut (April 11th, 2017), FredRydr (April 11th, 2017), inklord (April 11th, 2017), Lady Onogaro (April 11th, 2017), MmmCuppycakes (May 11th, 2017), penultress (April 12th, 2017), stub (May 1st, 2017), Wade (April 11th, 2017)

Thanks

Then if you had read and Understood what I said, there needs to be rules.
    Maybe we should make one about bad language as there is no age limit either!!!
    And as for your comments on "if you had been around for the history of this board" that kind of attitude is everything that is wrong with these type of forum the "it's ours" attitude is closed minded and bordering on ignorance.
    As a polite note please don't use bad language, not all of us find it acceptable.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RocketRyan For This Useful Post:

Brilliant Bill (April 11th, 2017), kevmid (April 11th, 2017), TSherbs (April 11th, 2017)

Thanks

Can anyone explain to me why it's unacceptable to discuss pros and cons of the pens for sale? I understand that discussing better deals or prices somewhere else is rude and in general not a good idea. I believe it's actually seller's responsibility to provide accurate info on pros/cons on the items for sale and if this kind of info is lacking, IMO, it's okay for someone else to provide insights. I agree that it's not the politest thing to do and it probably will not help to sell the pens faster but it helps the buyers to make more informed decisions, even if the insights are only peraonal preferences. IMO, discussing pros and cons is just neutral. I would not do that because I'm lazy. In the extreme case when one potential buyer asks a question and someone disagrees with the answer provided by the seller, is he/she not supposed to comment?

Thanks

I think it's quite simple. If you don't have an interest in buying a product why are you wasting your time commenting on it? Do you assume that you are the only one to see a blemish? Do you assume you are the only one to take issue with the price? It's not your responsibility to fix the world. Let people make their own decisions. If someone decides to pay too much money for a pen that is their choice. They chose not to haggle on the price. They chose not to research and establish a reasonable market value. They chose not to educate themselves. Call it the "stupid" tax. Perhaps the seller is a bit disrespectful for pricing something too high or not disclosing information, but that's again not your problem. Put their name down on your list of people not to buy from. Move along.

For what it's worth, on a forum I moderate we have a lot of trouble with this. We don't allow these types of random comments because they drive things off topic. The thread is about an item for sale. It's not a thread intended for general discussion of the item. If it were it would be somewhere else in the forum. Thus we keep the "for sale" threads clean and have an off-topic thread specifically dedicated to making fun of all of the over-priced cars for sale in the "for sale" forum. It's a free place to discuss and laugh without driving the sale thread off-topic and making yourself look like an asshole for ruining someone's sale. I'd actually enjoy another thread like this (perhaps I'll go start one). On numerous occasions I've seen inks for sale for ridiculous prices...even ones currently in production and readily available priced at 3x their market value. I've also watched someone buy a pen from me and turn around and put it up for sale for more money than they paid for it. In none of these instances have I said anything. It's not my job to put the seller in a "place". If someone wants to pay $50 for a $16 bottle of ink that is their choice.

21. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Scooby921 For This Useful Post:

daenghafez (April 11th, 2017), Dreck (April 11th, 2017), FredRydr (April 11th, 2017), Lady Onogaro (April 11th, 2017), Sammyo (April 11th, 2017), stub (May 1st, 2017), Wade (April 11th, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,529 Times in 1,299 Posts

I would have thought the simplest way forward would be to have every sales thread locked as soon as it is posted. That way comment could only be made by pm to the seller, or in a separate thread in the discussion forum. This would likely deter most casual commenters.

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Empty_of_Clouds For This Useful Post:

Aurora (April 11th, 2017), Brilliant Bill (April 11th, 2017), TSherbs (April 11th, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,731 Times in 1,976 Posts

The thing is, no one is calling for a special protection. As Jon Szanto mentioned above, this forum is without an involved owner, so we as the members have little choice but to watch out for each other. Which is not necessarily a bad thing for a community.

Asking for a bit of common courtesy is natural and acceptable.
    People who can't understand that will do what they are compelled to do anyways.
    But those who are willing to consider an alternative perspective, may alter course and we'll have less sharp edges in the For Sale section.

EDIT: Made my last sentence clearer.
    Last edited by penwash; April 11th, 2017 at 11:57 AM.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

25. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

AzJon (April 11th, 2017), fpnut (April 11th, 2017), Lady Onogaro (April 11th, 2017), Sailor Kenshin (April 13th, 2017), Wade (April 11th, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,579 Times in 943 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_of_Clouds View Post
    I would have thought the simplest way forward would be to have every sales thread locked as soon as it is posted. That way comment could only be made by pm to the seller, or in a separate thread in the discussion forum. This would likely deter most casual commenters.
    That sounds like a good solution. Can the person posting do this, or does the admin have to do it?
    Lady Onogaro

"Be yourself--everybody else is already taken." --Oscar Wilde

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Lady Onogaro For This Useful Post:

fpnut (April 11th, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,492 Times in 4,012 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Onogaro View Post
    That sounds like a good solution. Can the person posting do this, or does the admin have to do it?
    The person posting the sale thread can't do it unless he or she marks it as Sold

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Lady Onogaro (April 11th, 2017)

Thanks

Ah some common sense!

31. The Following User Says Thank You to RocketRyan For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I would like to point out my original point again, you can't police this unless you set rules... What is considered right or wrong in one culture may be incorrect to another. You can't police the whole world. It's called freedom of speech.
    As said earlier it's an open forum if you understand that proceed. If not ebay.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to RocketRyan For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I've come to understand, Jon, that you're a very emotional person; you take things personally.

Again, this is a public forum. People are going to say things and publish opinions that do not comport with the way you'd like things to be.

Your leaping to be protective of a forum you feel emotionally invested in is understandable. I would simply ask that your comments be civil and reasonable. That would seem to be one element of the "common courtesy" that precipitated this discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post

That is a bunch of bullshit.

Even though we seem to have a completely rudderless ship, and there is no way to intervene officially because the absentee owner has never allowed anyone to have any control over day-to-day options, this is IN FACT a site that is driven by it's membership.

Many have been here for years, and there is an accrued value in the content of the forum, contributed "free of charge" by the members. There is every reason in the world for the people who have added to this site for years to have not only a say in how things go - ESPESCIALLY in light of the lack of governance - but to also address those who are new to the site. To have that kind of behavior, and to callously interfere with the people utilizing the sales areas, is simply unacceptable.

I have no love of the sales forum. I actually wish it didn't exist. But since it does, and since I know there are good people (as well as others) involved in it, I am going to extend them every courtesy. The concept of "getting what you pay for" is completely fucked up, because this community has "paid" for it with the level of interest and contribution over the years that very much does entitle the concept of a code of conduct, written or otherwise.

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brilliant Bill For This Useful Post:

Rossler (April 20th, 2017), TSherbs (April 11th, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,864 Times in 809 Posts

The OP only asked for a little common courtesy. Courtesy cannot be legislated. You either have it or you don't.

37. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to carlos.q For This Useful Post:

Dreck (April 11th, 2017), fpnut (April 11th, 2017), Lady Onogaro (April 11th, 2017), penwash (April 11th, 2017), Rossler (April 20th, 2017), Wade (April 11th, 2017), Woody (April 11th, 2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by carlos.q View Post
    The OP only asked for a little common courtesy. Courtesy cannot be legislated. You either have it or you don't.
    I agree. This is the key to the issue here.

39. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fpnut For This Useful Post:

Lady Onogaro (April 11th, 2017), Rossler (April 20th, 2017), Wade (April 11th, 2017)