Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: forum rules suggestions

Thanks

Default Re: forum rules suggestions

I'd have no problems if this was a box of Lamy Dark Lilac or Copper Orange that (s)he stumbled across and picked up. But this was a very blatant and obvious case buying as much as he could get his hands one to sell for a profit. I tend to think that the fountain pen community looks out for each other, and this guy was preventing people from acquiring it at reasonable prices so he could make a large profit.

I was recently at a small stationery store and was planning on picking up some Petrol ink if they had it for friends that missed out on it, except I was going to sell it at cost + shipping, no huge profit mark up, and I wasn't going to buy out the store in case other people came along.

His behavior in his multiple reddit threads on this ink sale is typical of a ticket scalper, and deserves to get called out on.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sgtstretch For This Useful Post:

Burntsiennna (June 14th, 2017), Chrissy (June 15th, 2017), conib (June 14th, 2017), fpnut (June 14th, 2017), penwash (June 14th, 2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sgtstretch View Post
    I was recently at a small stationery store and was planning on picking up some Petrol ink if they had it for friends that missed out on it, except I was going to sell it at cost + shipping, no huge profit mark up, and I wasn't going to buy out the store in case other people came along.

His behavior in his multiple reddit threads on this ink sale is typical of a ticket scalper, and deserves to get called out on.
    Well said and on point

4. The Following User Says Thank You to fpnut For This Useful Post:

conib (June 14th, 2017)

Thanks

As noble as the sentiment is, it would muddy the transparency of what is ok and not ok.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,426 Times in 2,518 Posts

...this guy was preventing people from acquiring it at reasonable prices....
    Sorry, I don't buy this, at all.

Fred

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fpnut View Post

Well said and on point
    No, it's not on point at all. This is about crapping in other people's ads. It's not about being a nice guy and doing a favor for people and buying ink to sell at cost to friends. There's been no fraud here. Had the seller posted that Lamy was no longer making ink and the ink was rare, then there's an issue. (Even then, the issue might be best raised first in the Inky Goodness subform to learn what's true before dropping the crap in the seller's thread.)

All that's shown here is that he thinks the seller is an asshole, and that the seller is price gouging. Both may be entirely true, but the proper response to those issues is don't buy and raise the issues in the appropriate forum, not crap in the seller's thread, absent fraud. Otherwise, where do we draw the line when one Geek just doesn't like another Geek?

Fred
    Last edited by FredRydr; June 14th, 2017 at 04:41 PM.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

Chemyst (December 1st, 2017), Dreck (June 15th, 2017), stub (June 15th, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,192 Times in 1,422 Posts

Perhaps this could have been handled first back channel. And even helping fellow FPNers out with a post would likely involve language and gestures other than this.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,067 Times in 4,019 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TSherbs View Post
    Perhaps this could have been handled first back channel. And even helping fellow FPGers out with a post would likely involve language and gestures other than this.
    FIFY
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post

If one doesn't like a price on an item, don't buy. Let the seller languish with unsold inventory until he brings the price down. Or make an offer by PM.
    THAT ^^^

Thanks
    Thanked 4,804 Times in 1,697 Posts

I do not like the many selling threads here at all, but can´t change it.

I think pointing out that an offer is ridiculous helps a lot of less experienced users.
    Many do not know the average market prices.

I also do not care if such a ˋpointingˋ out will spoil the sellers thread, to be honest I appreciate it if such an offer is spoiled and less experienced users are saved from paying ridiculous prices.

He might could have done it in a nicer way in this case, but in general I´m ok with it.
    I also hate people which try to make big bucks the easy way without any personal performance.

For me this is still mainly a forum community not a selling place.
    So preventing less experienced people from being ripped off is ok and intended, this is not a free market, at least for me.

But buying ink and claim to be the nice guy to selling it for cost is also not a valid argument for me in this case, just to mention it.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Pterodactylus For This Useful Post:

conib (June 20th, 2017)

Thanks

Had some racing green a while ago, bought 10 bottles of the stuff and offered it at the purchase price, I could have asked 5X what I paid. Not one person said thank you for the consideration, some wanted 3 bottled so that they could sell on at an inflated price - and did so.

Now I mind my own business and dont get involved in all this crap, lifes too short.

Well mine is anyway.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,115 Times in 575 Posts

The 'site owner' is not a mystery and at a high confidence I believe the posts are read and monitored.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,067 Times in 4,019 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Farmboy View Post
    The 'site owner' is not a mystery and at a high confidence I believe the posts are read and monitored.
    Guess what? That would only really have any meaning if it was the owner/admin himself making the statement. We are aware of this, however, because occasional issues *are* addressed. This is a completely different situation from an active and engaged forum management that actually acknowledges dialogue regarding activities and policies on the forum.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 598 Posts

Please feel free to 'crap' on my listings if there's a legitimate reason. The more transparency the better.
    Will
    If my p.m box is full, feel free to email me at dabantur@gmail.com.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to fountainpenkid For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (December 1st, 2017), conib (June 20th, 2017), Marsilius (December 1st, 2017), Seattleite (December 1st, 2017)

Thanks

Another example of bad netiquette in the classifieds: https://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread...l=1#post225930

If he doesn't like the price, don't buy it. Many might agree with a complaint, but this still sucks. The whiner/whinger should delete the post.

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (December 1st, 2017), Dreck (November 30th, 2017), Jon Szanto (November 30th, 2017), stub (November 30th, 2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    Another example of bad netiquette in the classifieds: https://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread...l=1#post225930

If he doesn't like the price, don't buy it. Many might agree with a complaint, but this still sucks. The whiner/whinger should delete the post.
    Dude has a grand total of 2 posts and one of them is to price police something being sold at a sensible price. That is shitty. A mere $20 bump to cover shipping, and Paypal and NOT have to wait for a rare finish (and you might have to wait more than once if the list fills before you get on it) seems eminently reasonable to me.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stub For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (December 1st, 2017), Jon Szanto (November 30th, 2017), TSherbs (December 1st, 2017)

Thanks

Cool Re: forum rules suggestions

One rule: no rules.

As an internet forum i think we do very well in self-policing posts by simply ignoring or collectively challenging those of no interest, objectionable content, or obvious nonsense; our community, of which i am still but a baby member, is strong enough in shared values and cohesion to manage easily without conscious leadership or constitution - such is the sign of a weak community that it should ever need such things.

24. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to SIR For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (December 1st, 2017), Deb (December 1st, 2017), dfo (December 12th, 2017), fountainpagan (December 1st, 2017), Marsilius (December 1st, 2017), penwash (December 1st, 2017), Wade (December 5th, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,472 Times in 4,007 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fountainpenkid View Post
    Please feel free to 'crap' on my listings if there's a legitimate reason. The more transparency the better.
    Never seen a 'legitimate reason' Not that I ever would anyway.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Marsilius (December 1st, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 786 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by fountainpenkid View Post
    Never seen a 'legitimate reason' Not that I ever would anyway.
    Legitimate reasons would have to do with illegitimacy of the item or the seller, IMHO. Failing such elements, my policy is to watch in frustrated silence if I find the item interesting. Admittedly it would be more useful to make a fair offer, but when there is a great disparity, I sense, for better or for worse, that this might be annoying to the seller.
    --
    Mike

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mhosea For This Useful Post:

dfo (December 12th, 2017), TSherbs (December 1st, 2017)

Thanks

Rule 142 - Maximum public forum "I quit!" limit per member: 10 3

Last edited by FredRydr; December 12th, 2017 at 04:29 AM. Reason: Popular request

30. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

catbert (December 11th, 2017), Deb (December 12th, 2017), Dreck (December 11th, 2017), Fermata (December 11th, 2017), grainweevil (December 11th, 2017), jmccarty3 (December 13th, 2017), Sailor Kenshin (December 11th, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,483 Times in 1,745 Posts

I'd better get on it then.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD