Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 117

Thread: forum rules suggestions

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    994
    Thanks
    611
    Thanked 624 Times in 347 Posts
    Rep Power
    8

    Default forum rules suggestions

    In view of an apparent lack of moderation by admin, and in view of some requests on other threads that we have a clearer set of rules, if only by generally accepted consensus, and in view of the fact that I have been critical of the nature and tone of angry personal posts at fpgeeks, I thought that I would be the change in the (fpgeek) world that I have been hoping for.

    With these ideas in mind I offer the following and will step aside and let others add, subtract, etc. See what happens.


    Posting guidelines:

    1) Conduct oneself through kindness.
    2) Limit generalizations to collections of facts and experiences that you have specifically witnessed with pens, inks, etc.
    3) Focus on the pen, ink, paper (etc) item or topic, not the person making the post that you are responding to.
    4) Cast no aspersions toward any living things or groups or categories of living things.
    5) Help other members with information and experiences; reserve judgments.


    I am purposely keeping the list short, but you can do with it what you want. This is just a conversation; hopefully, a civil one.

  2. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to TSherbs For This Useful Post:

    + Show/Hide list of the thanked

    catbert (April 12th, 2017), Deb (April 12th, 2017), Empty_of_Clouds (April 12th, 2017), fountainpagan (April 12th, 2017), fpnut (April 13th, 2017), jar (April 12th, 2017), jmccarty3 (June 15th, 2017), Lady Onogaro (April 11th, 2017), R.A. Stewart (April 13th, 2017), Sailor Kenshin (April 12th, 2017), Sammyo (April 11th, 2017), TropicalPenGal (April 12th, 2017), Woody (April 13th, 2017), writingrav (April 11th, 2017)

  3. #2
    Senior Member fountainpagan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    france
    Posts
    575
    Thanks
    878
    Thanked 558 Times in 267 Posts
    Rep Power
    6

    Default Re: forum rules suggestions

    May I also suggest?:

    Don't apply to a pif if you have no intention of responding to the person who offers it, in case you win. Or, if you want to withdraw from it, have the courtesy of saying it.

    Thank you.

  4. #3
    Senior Member FredRydr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Carlisle, Pennsylvania USA
    Posts
    3,066
    Thanks
    668
    Thanked 3,180 Times in 1,354 Posts
    Rep Power
    12

    Default Re: forum rules suggestions

    6) The Classified is not a discussion forum: Please do not crap in the seller's thread with negative comments such as "your price is too high," "your item is in bad condition," etc.*

    Fred



    *Courtesy of the advrider.com forum's Flea Market rules.
    Last edited by FredRydr; April 12th, 2017 at 06:10 AM.

  5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

    fpnut (April 13th, 2017), gylyf (June 16th, 2017), jmccarty3 (June 15th, 2017), Lunaelsol (June 14th, 2017), Woody (April 13th, 2017)

  6. #4
    Senior Member jar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Deep South Texas
    Posts
    3,627
    Thanks
    348
    Thanked 3,325 Times in 1,410 Posts
    Rep Power
    13

    Default Re: forum rules suggestions

    Momma reads what you write.
    My Sister's Website: Rose Hill Studios
    My Website


  7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jar For This Useful Post:

    jmccarty3 (June 15th, 2017), Marsilius (January 3rd, 2020)

  8. #5
    Senior Member Marsilius's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    701
    Thanks
    2,850
    Thanked 530 Times in 274 Posts
    Rep Power
    9

    Default Re: forum rules suggestions

    “That which is hateful to you, do not unto another: This is the whole Torah. The rest is commentary — go study.”
    What Rabbi Hillel said to someone who told him he would convert to Judaism if Hillel could teach him Judaism while he was standing on one foot. I think someone said that in another religion or two, too.
    Fortibus es in ero

  9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Marsilius For This Useful Post:

    BlkWhiteFilmPix (September 6th, 2018), jmccarty3 (June 15th, 2017)

  10. #6
    Senior Member Woody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Melfort, Saskatchewan, Canada
    Posts
    414
    Thanks
    287
    Thanked 135 Times in 86 Posts
    Rep Power
    9

    Default Re: forum rules suggestions

    Can't pin it, but we can bump it.

  11. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    352
    Thanks
    117
    Thanked 420 Times in 212 Posts
    Rep Power
    4

    Default Re: forum rules suggestions

    I am in favour of all that has said so far, could not agree more.

    But given the principle that there is no moderation/admin what do you do about the people who do not follow the rules.

    Do you want the Land of Smiles that exists at FPN or freedom of expression even if that breaks the most reasonable of rules.

  12. #8
    Senior Member jar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Deep South Texas
    Posts
    3,627
    Thanks
    348
    Thanked 3,325 Times in 1,410 Posts
    Rep Power
    13

    Default Re: forum rules suggestions

    Quote Originally Posted by Fermata View Post
    I am in favour of all that has said so far, could not agree more.

    But given the principle that there is no moderation/admin what do you do about the people who do not follow the rules.

    Do you want the Land of Smiles that exists at FPN or freedom of expression even if that breaks the most reasonable of rules.
    You present a false dichotomy. It is not a limited set.
    My Sister's Website: Rose Hill Studios
    My Website


  13. The Following User Says Thank You to jar For This Useful Post:

    jmccarty3 (June 15th, 2017)

  14. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    352
    Thanks
    117
    Thanked 420 Times in 212 Posts
    Rep Power
    4

    Default Re: forum rules suggestions

    Quote Originally Posted by jar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fermata View Post
    I am in favour of all that has said so far, could not agree more.

    But given the principle that there is no moderation/admin what do you do about the people who do not follow the rules.

    Do you want the Land of Smiles that exists at FPN or freedom of expression even if that breaks the most reasonable of rules.
    You present a false dichotomy. It is not a limited set.
    Being a brain dead dick I had to look up false dichotomy and got the answer 'not jointly exhaustive'. Very little the wiser.

    If you have rules which you would like people to follow, and they do not, are you suggesting that this is therefore acceptable or that there does not need to be a procedure for requiring posters to abide by a given set of rules. I am not backing one direction or another here, I basically dont understand your reference to false dichotomy.

  15. #10
    Senior Member jar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Deep South Texas
    Posts
    3,627
    Thanks
    348
    Thanked 3,325 Times in 1,410 Posts
    Rep Power
    13

    Default Re: forum rules suggestions

    Quote Originally Posted by Fermata View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fermata View Post
    I am in favour of all that has said so far, could not agree more.

    But given the principle that there is no moderation/admin what do you do about the people who do not follow the rules.

    Do you want the Land of Smiles that exists at FPN or freedom of expression even if that breaks the most reasonable of rules.
    You present a false dichotomy. It is not a limited set.
    Being a brain dead dick I had to look up false dichotomy and got the answer 'not jointly exhaustive'. Very little the wiser.

    If you have rules which you would like people to follow, and they do not, are you suggesting that this is therefore acceptable or that there does not need to be a procedure for requiring posters to abide by a given set of rules. I am not backing one direction or another here, I basically dont understand your reference to false dichotomy.
    There can be a whole range of responses to most any action and not just the two choices you presented. Some rules can be enforced individually (simply ignoring anything posted by a given individual) or peer pressure such as publicly humiliating an individual or as I said, a whole range of behaviors. Rules are nice but so are reasonable exceptions to those rules.
    My Sister's Website: Rose Hill Studios
    My Website


  16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jar For This Useful Post:

    Dreck (April 15th, 2017), Jon Szanto (April 14th, 2017)

  17. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    352
    Thanks
    117
    Thanked 420 Times in 212 Posts
    Rep Power
    4

    Default Re: forum rules suggestions

    Ok, thank you.

    Being more labrador than human I live in a world where if you screw up you get your arse kicked, and thats all there is to it. If you are told that X is going to happen if you break the rules then you know where you are, introducing options and variables (such as humiliation, ridicule or shame) is outside my terms of reference and may not work for the dipstick trolls that FPG may attract from time to time, they may just love the attention.

    Appreciate the explanation though.

    I will butt out.

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to Fermata For This Useful Post:

    Wade (April 15th, 2017)

  19. #12
    Senior Member Marsilius's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    701
    Thanks
    2,850
    Thanked 530 Times in 274 Posts
    Rep Power
    9

    Default Re: forum rules suggestions

    Pardon the levity, but my favorite example of a false dichotomy is the phrase, "There are three kinds of people in this world: those who can count, and those who can't."
    Fortibus es in ero

  20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Marsilius For This Useful Post:

    jar (April 14th, 2017), jmccarty3 (June 15th, 2017), sbeqs (June 17th, 2017), Wade (April 15th, 2017), Woody (April 23rd, 2017)

  21. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Logan, UT
    Posts
    378
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 179 Times in 99 Posts
    Rep Power
    5

    Default Re: forum rules suggestions

    Has anyone recently tried rousing the forum owners? I wasn't around when things broke down but it seems like it's been a few years; maybe they're ready to reconnect.

  22. #14
    Senior Member Jon Szanto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    4,900
    Thanks
    5,184
    Thanked 7,542 Times in 2,809 Posts
    Rep Power
    15

    Default Re: forum rules suggestions

    Quote Originally Posted by mulrich View Post
    Has anyone recently tried rousing the forum owners? I wasn't around when things broke down but it seems like it's been a few years; maybe they're ready to reconnect.
    Yes, on numerous occasions, sometimes with a bit of urgency. There has never been an indication of any interest whatsoever. From what anyone can detect, he pays the hosting bills and has otherwise moved on with his life. If there is any remaining involvement, it is in the background and completely opaque to the membership, and we have seen no signs of life. One of the oddest online situations I've come across.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

    ~ Benjamin Franklin

  23. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Logan, UT
    Posts
    378
    Thanks
    6
    Thanked 179 Times in 99 Posts
    Rep Power
    5

    Default Re: forum rules suggestions

    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Yes, on numerous occasions, sometimes with a bit of urgency. There has never been an indication of any interest whatsoever. From what anyone can detect, he pays the hosting bills and has otherwise moved on with his life. If there is any remaining involvement, it is in the background and completely opaque to the membership, and we have seen no signs of life. One of the oddest online situations I've come across.
    That is really strange. I can appreciate moving on to other endeavors but it's bizarre that he keeps paying the bills with no other involvement. Maybe the hosting bills are on Autopay and he doesn't realize he's still paying.

  24. #16
    Senior Member Jon Szanto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    4,900
    Thanks
    5,184
    Thanked 7,542 Times in 2,809 Posts
    Rep Power
    15

    Default Re: forum rules suggestions

    Quote Originally Posted by mulrich View Post
    That is really strange. I can appreciate moving on to other endeavors but it's bizarre that he keeps paying the bills with no other involvement. Maybe the hosting bills are on Autopay and he doesn't realize he's still paying.
    He's a smart man who is fairly well-known in the pen world, and one has to believe this is how he rolls. I've never quite understood it, myself, but...
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

    ~ Benjamin Franklin

  25. #17
    FP Enthusiast Emeritus mhosea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Boston, Massachusetts
    Posts
    1,578
    Thanks
    439
    Thanked 1,803 Times in 781 Posts
    Rep Power
    9

    Default Re: forum rules suggestions

    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    If there is any remaining involvement, it is in the background
    A troll got banished recently, if you recall. I certainly appreciate that when it happens. That's all I've got, though.
    --
    Mike

  26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mhosea For This Useful Post:

    Dreck (April 15th, 2017), Jon Szanto (April 14th, 2017), penwash (April 15th, 2017)

  27. #18
    Senior Member Jon Szanto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    4,900
    Thanks
    5,184
    Thanked 7,542 Times in 2,809 Posts
    Rep Power
    15

    Default Re: forum rules suggestions

    Quote Originally Posted by mhosea View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    If there is any remaining involvement, it is in the background
    A troll got banished recently, if you recall. I certainly appreciate that when it happens. That's all I've got, though.
    Yes, Mike, that is true. I think there have been a few items taken care of, so he *does* somewhat keep tabs. I just wish it was an active and public involvement, so we all didn't feel like we were swimming in circles and confusion. Ah well...

    Thanks (and I had another similar mention to me, as well).
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

    ~ Benjamin Franklin

  28. #19
    FPG Donor ♕ KrazyIvan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Texas-USA
    Posts
    4,926
    Thanks
    1,383
    Thanked 1,700 Times in 888 Posts
    Rep Power
    15

    Default Re: forum rules suggestions

    It was said long ago that the owner runs his own internet hosting company, so, it stands to reason this forum is probably located on one of his own servers. I've had snail mail contact with him within the last couple of months but the subject has not come up. I was not active on this forum when everything went south so I have no knowledge of what happened other than Dan was removed from all administrative duties.

    Back on subject, having these rules would be nice and I agree with them but they are moot if they cannot be enforced. I've thought about volunteering to help with duties as I have run and configured a few forums (video game based). It's been a while and I would have to brush up on things. It just seems self serving to me and I've not brought it up for that reason.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | inktronics blog | Twitter | Instagram

  29. The Following User Says Thank You to KrazyIvan For This Useful Post:

    Jon Szanto (April 14th, 2017)

  30. #20
    Senior Member FredRydr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Carlisle, Pennsylvania USA
    Posts
    3,066
    Thanks
    668
    Thanked 3,180 Times in 1,354 Posts
    Rep Power
    12

    Default Re: forum rules suggestions

    All things considered, this forum has done quite well without moderation. Peer pressure just takes longer to bring about change in behavior. I've also warmed to and gained respect towards every fellow member (except one) whose conduct I've found offensive at one time or another. Had a moderator stepped in with swift reaction, those occasional miscreants might have been lost to me. In some respects, this lack of moderation is an experiment in patience, toleration and acceptance.

    Fred
    Last edited by FredRydr; April 15th, 2017 at 08:13 AM. Reason: changed typo "shift" to "swift"

  31. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

    + Show/Hide list of the thanked

    Ahriman4891 (May 9th, 2017), carlc (April 15th, 2017), catbert (April 15th, 2017), Chrissy (April 15th, 2017), Dreck (April 15th, 2017), ethernautrix (April 16th, 2017), jar (April 15th, 2017), Marsilius (April 15th, 2017), mhosea (April 15th, 2017), penwash (April 15th, 2017), rickap (April 15th, 2017), Wade (April 15th, 2017)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •