Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: forum rules suggestions

Thanks
    Thanked 2,189 Times in 1,419 Posts

Default forum rules suggestions

In view of an apparent lack of moderation by admin, and in view of some requests on other threads that we have a clearer set of rules, if only by generally accepted consensus, and in view of the fact that I have been critical of the nature and tone of angry personal posts at fpgeeks, I thought that I would be the change in the (fpgeek) world that I have been hoping for.

With these ideas in mind I offer the following and will step aside and let others add, subtract, etc. See what happens.

Posting guidelines:

1) Conduct oneself through kindness.
    2) Limit generalizations to collections of facts and experiences that you have specifically witnessed with pens, inks, etc.
    3) Focus on the pen, ink, paper (etc) item or topic, not the person making the post that you are responding to.
    4) Cast no aspersions toward any living things or groups or categories of living things.
    5) Help other members with information and experiences; reserve judgments.

I am purposely keeping the list short, but you can do with it what you want. This is just a conversation; hopefully, a civil one.

2. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to TSherbs For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

catbert (April 12th, 2017), Deb (April 12th, 2017), Empty_of_Clouds (April 12th, 2017), fountainpagan (April 12th, 2017), fpnut (April 13th, 2017), jar (April 12th, 2017), jmccarty3 (June 15th, 2017), Lady Onogaro (April 11th, 2017), R.A. Stewart (April 13th, 2017), Sailor Kenshin (April 12th, 2017), Sammyo (April 11th, 2017), TropicalPenGal (April 12th, 2017), Woody (April 13th, 2017), writingrav (April 11th, 2017)

Thanks

Default Re: forum rules suggestions

May I also suggest?:

Don't apply to a pif if you have no intention of responding to the person who offers it, in case you win. Or, if you want to withdraw from it, have the courtesy of saying it.

Thank you.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

6) The Classified is not a discussion forum: Please do not crap in the seller's thread with negative comments such as "your price is too high," "your item is in bad condition," etc.*

Fred

*Courtesy of the advrider.com forum's Flea Market rules.
    Last edited by FredRydr; April 12th, 2017 at 06:10 AM.

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

fpnut (April 13th, 2017), gylyf (June 16th, 2017), jmccarty3 (June 15th, 2017), Lunaelsol (June 14th, 2017), Woody (April 13th, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,711 Times in 1,610 Posts

Momma reads what you write.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jar For This Useful Post:

jmccarty3 (June 15th, 2017), Marsilius (January 3rd, 2020)

Thanks

“That which is hateful to you, do not unto another: This is the whole Torah. The rest is commentary — go study.”
    What Rabbi Hillel said to someone who told him he would convert to Judaism if Hillel could teach him Judaism while he was standing on one foot. I think someone said that in another religion or two, too.
    Fortibus es in ero

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Marsilius For This Useful Post:

BlkWhiteFilmPix (September 6th, 2018), jmccarty3 (June 15th, 2017)

Thanks

Can't pin it, but we can bump it.

Thanks

I am in favour of all that has said so far, could not agree more.

But given the principle that there is no moderation/admin what do you do about the people who do not follow the rules.

Do you want the Land of Smiles that exists at FPN or freedom of expression even if that breaks the most reasonable of rules.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Fermata View Post

But given the principle that there is no moderation/admin what do you do about the people who do not follow the rules.

Do you want the Land of Smiles that exists at FPN or freedom of expression even if that breaks the most reasonable of rules.
    You present a false dichotomy. It is not a limited set.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to jar For This Useful Post:

jmccarty3 (June 15th, 2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jar View Post

Being a brain dead dick I had to look up false dichotomy and got the answer 'not jointly exhaustive'. Very little the wiser.

If you have rules which you would like people to follow, and they do not, are you suggesting that this is therefore acceptable or that there does not need to be a procedure for requiring posters to abide by a given set of rules. I am not backing one direction or another here, I basically dont understand your reference to false dichotomy.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jar View Post

Being a brain dead dick I had to look up false dichotomy and got the answer 'not jointly exhaustive'. Very little the wiser.

If you have rules which you would like people to follow, and they do not, are you suggesting that this is therefore acceptable or that there does not need to be a procedure for requiring posters to abide by a given set of rules. I am not backing one direction or another here, I basically dont understand your reference to false dichotomy.
    There can be a whole range of responses to most any action and not just the two choices you presented. Some rules can be enforced individually (simply ignoring anything posted by a given individual) or peer pressure such as publicly humiliating an individual or as I said, a whole range of behaviors. Rules are nice but so are reasonable exceptions to those rules.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jar For This Useful Post:

Dreck (April 15th, 2017), Jon Szanto (April 14th, 2017)

Thanks

Ok, thank you.

Being more labrador than human I live in a world where if you screw up you get your arse kicked, and thats all there is to it. If you are told that X is going to happen if you break the rules then you know where you are, introducing options and variables (such as humiliation, ridicule or shame) is outside my terms of reference and may not work for the dipstick trolls that FPG may attract from time to time, they may just love the attention.

Appreciate the explanation though.

I will butt out.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Fermata For This Useful Post:

Wade (April 15th, 2017)

Thanks

Pardon the levity, but my favorite example of a false dichotomy is the phrase, "There are three kinds of people in this world: those who can count, and those who can't."
    Fortibus es in ero

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Marsilius For This Useful Post:

jar (April 14th, 2017), jmccarty3 (June 15th, 2017), sbeqs (June 17th, 2017), Wade (April 15th, 2017), Woody (April 23rd, 2017)

Thanks

Has anyone recently tried rousing the forum owners? I wasn't around when things broke down but it seems like it's been a few years; maybe they're ready to reconnect.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,039 Times in 4,010 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mulrich View Post
    Has anyone recently tried rousing the forum owners? I wasn't around when things broke down but it seems like it's been a few years; maybe they're ready to reconnect.
    Yes, on numerous occasions, sometimes with a bit of urgency. There has never been an indication of any interest whatsoever. From what anyone can detect, he pays the hosting bills and has otherwise moved on with his life. If there is any remaining involvement, it is in the background and completely opaque to the membership, and we have seen no signs of life. One of the oddest online situations I've come across.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Yes, on numerous occasions, sometimes with a bit of urgency. There has never been an indication of any interest whatsoever. From what anyone can detect, he pays the hosting bills and has otherwise moved on with his life. If there is any remaining involvement, it is in the background and completely opaque to the membership, and we have seen no signs of life. One of the oddest online situations I've come across.
    That is really strange. I can appreciate moving on to other endeavors but it's bizarre that he keeps paying the bills with no other involvement. Maybe the hosting bills are on Autopay and he doesn't realize he's still paying.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mulrich View Post
    That is really strange. I can appreciate moving on to other endeavors but it's bizarre that he keeps paying the bills with no other involvement. Maybe the hosting bills are on Autopay and he doesn't realize he's still paying.
    He's a smart man who is fairly well-known in the pen world, and one has to believe this is how he rolls. I've never quite understood it, myself, but...
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 786 Posts

If there is any remaining involvement, it is in the background
    A troll got banished recently, if you recall. I certainly appreciate that when it happens. That's all I've got, though.
    --
    Mike

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mhosea For This Useful Post:

Dreck (April 15th, 2017), Jon Szanto (April 14th, 2017), penwash (April 15th, 2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mhosea View Post
    If there is any remaining involvement, it is in the background
    A troll got banished recently, if you recall. I certainly appreciate that when it happens. That's all I've got, though.
    Yes, Mike, that is true. I think there have been a few items taken care of, so he *does* somewhat keep tabs. I just wish it was an active and public involvement, so we all didn't feel like we were swimming in circles and confusion. Ah well...

Thanks (and I had another similar mention to me, as well).

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

It was said long ago that the owner runs his own internet hosting company, so, it stands to reason this forum is probably located on one of his own servers. I've had snail mail contact with him within the last couple of months but the subject has not come up. I was not active on this forum when everything went south so I have no knowledge of what happened other than Dan was removed from all administrative duties.

Back on subject, having these rules would be nice and I agree with them but they are moot if they cannot be enforced. I've thought about volunteering to help with duties as I have run and configured a few forums (video game based). It's been a while and I would have to brush up on things. It just seems self serving to me and I've not brought it up for that reason.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

29. The Following User Says Thank You to KrazyIvan For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (April 14th, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

All things considered, this forum has done quite well without moderation. Peer pressure just takes longer to bring about change in behavior. I've also warmed to and gained respect towards every fellow member (except one) whose conduct I've found offensive at one time or another. Had a moderator stepped in with swift reaction, those occasional miscreants might have been lost to me. In some respects, this lack of moderation is an experiment in patience, toleration and acceptance.

Fred
    Last edited by FredRydr; April 15th, 2017 at 08:13 AM. Reason: changed typo "shift" to "swift"

31. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Ahriman4891 (May 9th, 2017), carlc (April 15th, 2017), catbert (April 15th, 2017), Chrissy (April 15th, 2017), Dreck (April 15th, 2017), ethernautrix (April 16th, 2017), jar (April 15th, 2017), Marsilius (April 15th, 2017), mhosea (April 15th, 2017), penwash (April 15th, 2017), rickap (April 15th, 2017), Wade (April 15th, 2017)