Quote Originally Posted by Bohemond76;20626'7
    We should try a "dip pen letter month" someday

Cheers

Yves Debroyer

I'm in
    Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks

Default Re: Dip Pens

That's great! You have some very special items BikerBabe.
    JBBPensPaper an Etsy store

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 598 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by woosang View Post
    I'm in
    I'm in for such an idea as well!
    Will
    If my p.m box is full, feel free to email me at dabantur@gmail.com.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,764 Times in 808 Posts

BikerBabe, now I know what a pen wipe is:
    http://parvum-opus.blogspot.com.au/2...art-4-pen.html

Our local St Vinnies never seems to have any interesting dip pens, pen wipes or stationery stuff.
    sinistral hypergraphica - a slurry of ink
    "Nothing means less than zero"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bogon07 View Post

Our local St Vinnies never seems to have any interesting dip pens, pen wipes or stationery stuff.
    Mine either! :-( but I would never have noticed a pen wipe anyway. Learn something new every day

Thanks

I wrote down the names of those interested in a dip pen letter swap so next letters will be to those that also listed their adress on the pen Pal swap thread.

Additionally the thread on tuck ins gave me the idea to start including nibs as giveaways in my letters. I have a box of 100 I purchased recently on a flea market and since I'm not going to use 95% of them I may as well give away to a couple of dip pen addicts. Could be nice and cheap way to get a collection of all those different nibs.

Yves

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bohemond76 View Post
    I wrote down the names of those interested in a dip pen letter swap so next letters will be to those that also listed their adress on the pen Pal swap thread.

Additionally the thread on tuck ins gave me the idea to start including nibs as giveaways in my letters. I have a box of 100 I purchased recently on a flea market and since I'm not going to use 95% of them I may as well give away to a couple of dip pen addicts. Could be nice and cheap way to get a collection of all those different nibs.

Yves
    FABULOUS idea I have a box of WAVERLEY nibs.. and a box of Lighthouse chinese nibs.. Always happy to trade with others who are interested.

Thanks

I have a box marked with ACCIAIO BIMETAL ITALY and on the nib it says LUS 1937 BALON E.F.

Will send you some Woosang in the weeks coming

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bohemond76 View Post
    I have a box marked with ACCIAIO BIMETAL ITALY and on the nib it says LUS 1937 BALON E.F.

Will send you some Woosang in the weeks coming
    Cool!!! EF sounds perfect thank you

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KrazyIvan View Post
    Not in my house. They go to Jedi Academy.
    At 11? Too old! Or are you trying to push her towards the dark side?
    "What are moon-letters?" asked the hobbit full of excitement. He loved maps, as I have told you before; and he also loved runes and letters, and cunning handwriting, though when he wrote himself it was a bit thin and spidery.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by snedwos View Post
    At 11? Too old! Or are you trying to push her towards the dark side?
    Ahem, esa pregunta no se pregunta.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 598 Posts

I love the idea of sending a dip nib in a letter. I have a couple people might want to try.
    Will
    If my p.m box is full, feel free to email me at dabantur@gmail.com.

Thanks

Don't have time this weekend but next weekend I'll probably have to take my dip pens out and try them and see what all the fuss is about.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jbb View Post
    That's great! You have some very special items BikerBabe.
    Thanks jbb. *wink*

Quote Originally Posted by Bogon07 View Post

Hmmm, is there any chance of maybe finding anything interesting at your local flea markets?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by woosang View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by caribbean_skye View Post
    My first dip pen was picked up in Venice (because the barrel is made out of Murano glass) as a "souvenir" from my trip. I have tried using it but much like Tandaina I couldn't get more than 2 characters out, talk about an exercise in patience. Will have to prime it sometime and try again. My second dip pen was given to me this past winter season and there hasn't been opportunity for me to use it yet.
    Cool! Give it a prime and have fun. :-) if you don't like the nib there are plenty out there and cheap to buy :-)
    Just a quick update: the nib functions more or less the same, I think it's the nib more than anything. Had I known more about dip pens I may not have bought this one (doubtful but hindsight is 20/20) because I think it's probably ornamental rather than functional. And how they have the nib "mounted" or attached, there is no way to swap nibs. Guess I will have to go and buy another one just for that, any recommendations? And I did dry the glass dip pen, wow that was awesome. I could write for a good while on just one dip, now if they only made them with slightly finer nibs.

Thanks

Just a quick update: the nib functions more or less the same, I think it's the nib more than anything. Had I known more about dip pens I may not have bought this one (doubtful but hindsight is 20/20) because I think it's probably ornamental rather than functional. And how they have the nib "mounted" or attached, there is no way to swap nibs. Guess I will have to go and buy another one just for that, any recommendations? And I did dry the glass dip pen, wow that was awesome. I could write for a good while on just one dip, now if they only made them with slightly finer nibs.

Just wondering if your Murano was a Bortoletti Pen? I saw them on Jane Farr's blog: http://janefarr.blogspot.com/2009/02...m-venezia.html
    I think she says that she changed nibs on that one, maybe she could explain how.

Other nib suggestions: I just tried a few flexible dip nibs that I liked--Hunt 56, Nikko G, Esterbrook 357 and 358, Tachikawa G, and Zebra G. (from Paper and Ink Arts). There's a new one, Leonardt 300, that has kind of a ballpoint tip on it, that I can't quite get the hang of yet. They were good, and not so flexible that it was hard to control them. I used Sumi ink, which is outstanding! (except the smell). I still prefer my vintage Waterman fp's by far, but the dips are fun to play with.

Thanks

[QUOTE=Carole;21659]

Other nib suggestions: I just tried a few flexible dip nibs that I liked--Hunt 56, Nikko G, Esterbrook 357 and 358, Tachikawa G, and Zebra G. (from Paper and Ink Arts). There's a new one, Leonardt 300, that has kind of a ballpoint tip on it, that I can't quite get the hang of yet. They were good, and not so flexible that it was hard to control them. I used Sumi ink, which is outstanding! (except the smell). I still prefer my vintage Waterman fp's by far, but the dips are fun to play with.
    Hi,

I also experience the same problems with the Leonard nib 200 and 400 series, I cant get the hang of the tipped end and the reservoir is tricky thing.
    Last week I received my order of Tachikawa holders and nibs. The holders are great, the number 40 even has a cap, and they are much more ergonomic, plus they can take a mapping nib, sometimes called "Maru". These holders don't have that pesky metal ferule that keeps rotting and what a relief!

13089.jpg

However the G nibs aren't that great for writing cursive on letter paper. They scratch the paper and feather easily, the only paper I have right now is Conqueror and Galgo laid paper (vergé), I can't find the velum paper anywhere . On drawing paper they work good.

My search for better paper and nibs continues.

Thanks

[QUOTE=menunes;21674]
    Quote Originally Posted by Carole View Post

Hi,

I also experience the same problems with the Leonard nib 200 and 400 series, I cant get the hang of the tipped end and the reservoir is tricky thing.
    Last week I received my order of Tachikawa holders and nibs. The holders are great, the number 40 even has a cap, and they are much more ergonomic, plus they can take a mapping nib, sometimes called "Maru". These holders don't have that pesky metal ferule that keeps rotting and what a relief!

13089.jpg

However the G nibs aren't that great for writing cursive on letter paper. They scratch the paper and feather easily, the only paper I have right now is Conqueror and Galgo laid paper (vergé), I can't find the velum paper anywhere . On drawing paper they work good.

My search for better paper and nibs continues.
    Great holders and cheap the zebra G takes a lot of getting used to but it works great on Clairefontaine, rhodia & g Lalor it's my go to nib along with the brause 66 needle point

certainly scratchy but that's due to its point

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Carole View Post

Just wondering if your Murano was a Bortoletti Pen? I saw them on Jane Farr's blog: http://janefarr.blogspot.com/2009/02...m-venezia.html
    I think she says that she changed nibs on that one, maybe she could explain how.
    <snip>
    No mine is a Lucio Bubacco pen. From the looks of it they seem to have the nib permanently attached to this pen as there's no way to remove it (unless i stick it someone to dissolve the adhesive maybe).

Thanks

I've been browsing this site www.scribblers.co.uk and it has a lot of options on nibs and supplies for calligraphy. No affiliation.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to menunes For This Useful Post:

Petergly (June 17th, 2013)