Thread: Why did Montblanc choose "Velvet Red" as a color to represent Shakespeare?

Thanks

Default Why did Montblanc choose "Velvet Red" as a color to represent Shakespeare?

I had to do some research because this was a question that was really bugging me. This source (http://www.therefinedview.com/blog/s...to-shakespeare) claims that red was used to represent "Drama" and was the color of the flag flown outside a playhouse to represent the type of play being performed at the time.

According to The Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/luxury/me...emorative-pen/) The red and blue on the pen represent sumptuary colors. That is, colors that were mandated to be worn by people of a certain class so as not to dress above their station. Elizabethan color schemes and sumptuary laws state that red (madder. See my other posting from yesterday) and blue were the colors of poor people and servants respectively. Shakespeare wasn't always on the best terms, nor the highest of social circles, so the colors could represent his station in life as a poor writer (http://www.elizabethanenglandlife.co...-meanings.html).

Montblanc only says that the ink "'Velvet Red' recalls the significance of Shakespeare's works in the theater." It is entirely possible that the ink is to evoke the idea of the "red velvet curtain" found most often in theaters. Though, to my knowledge, large velvet or velour curtains would not have been used in Shakespeare's time. The bottle seems to imply that the quill (plus plumage) is where the red comes from. Very likely not. Serious quill usage often has the feathers removed to render the quill looking like a pen or pencil.

Guess we'll never know (unless Montblanc themselves step up to explain their choices).

Any thoughts?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

Default Re: Why did Montblanc choose "Velvet Red" as a color to represent Shakespeare?

They hated the song "Blue Velvet" and hoped Red Velvet would help them forget it?

Thanks

Default Re: Why did Montblanc choose "Velvet Red" as a color to represent Shakespeare?

I mean, I assumed Montblanc just really liked cake and their marketing team just happened to have Red Velvet on hand when the ink was conceived.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AzJon For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (April 30th, 2017), SIR (April 14th, 2017)

Thanks

Have you tried it? What were your thoughts?
    I'm afraid I can be no help on the origin of the colour.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,427 Times in 2,519 Posts

Many if not most of Montblanc's dreamt-up associations to their limited edition pens and inks are a real stretch, IMHO. Sometimes it just gets weird.

Fred

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

Jon Szanto (April 30th, 2017), Lady Onogaro (April 12th, 2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RocketRyan View Post
    Have you tried it? What were your thoughts?
    I'm afraid I can be no help on the origin of the colour.
    I haven't tried it. It looks like a nice color, I just don't use many red inks. In the event i need a reddish color, I have Oxblood and Syrah around from Diamine.

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    Many if not most of Montblanc's dreamt-up associations to their limited edition pens and inks are a real stretch, IMHO. Sometimes it just gets weird.

Fred
    Yeah, I imagine it's entirely fabricated, but I would expect MB to at least try and make a reasonable association.

Thanks

I have a bottle of burgundy red, which I really like. Not really in the market for another red as I don't use alot, but always curious.

Thanks

Surely the following verse is the reason they chose the color?

"My mistress’ eyes are nothing like the sun;
    Coral is far more [velvet] red than her lips’ red"
    Fortibus es in ero

Thanks

Fie, sirrah. Surely 'tis this that pertains best:

Others, like soldiers, armed in their stings,
    Make boot upon the summer's velvet buds;
    Which pillage they with merry march bring home
    To the tent-royal of their emperor.

Henry V
    Verily, it doth comment upon the riches made and brought home by this Prussian fellow with every pot of ink he doth sell with "Limited Edition" wrought upon it. We woulds't better be served with fine inks of English stock. Cry God for Harry, England, and... Diamine..?

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to grainweevil For This Useful Post:

BayesianPrior (April 12th, 2017), Marsilius (April 12th, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,192 Times in 1,422 Posts

Shakespeare was not, nor ever, "poor." The poor of both London and Stratford-on-Avon (especially) were far beneath this actor-writer-theater-company-owner.

This, like so many of these artist or writer inks, is likely not much more than marketing hogwash. One could pick any color, affix the name Shakespeare to it, and then backfill a "reason".

Thanks

Maybe a reminder of the Red Lion? Shakespeare was hired there both as an actor and as a playwright.

Red curtains: yes, many associate red to velvet theatre curtains. It is common knowledge, never mind accuracy in time. That MB uses this as an argument, shows well they are in a strictly marketing vision, rather than historical.

Red was the colour of the rich and powerful few, though.

This said, the ink is of great beauty and richness in what nuances are concerned. It truly is a very velvety, smooth, and somptuous colour.

Thanks

I'm loving all of these answers! They are all better-than-Montblanc reasons, I think.

from: http://www.elizabethan-era.org.uk/color-red.htm. There wre two reds allowed under sumptuary laws. Madder red for peasants and brilliant reds for the powerful. Unfortunately I would place Velvet Red as an ink color more under the madder category.

"The Symbolic and Religious Meaning of the color red
    Some interesting facts and information about the symbolic, religious, Christian and Biblical meaning of the color Red

The symbolic meaning of the color red was was of fire and associated with power and importance - a color which stood out
    Also associated with 'Will Scarlet' in the medieval legends of Robin Hood
    Strongly associated with the 'Redcoats', used for the British army uniform, in later English history
    Described as clothing for valiant men

Cheap dyes, made from the madder root, were used to produce the color red
    The Madder root produced the whole spectrum of red based colors including pink, coral, light red, dark red, russet and brown.
    The red dye produced by the madder root dye was not colorfast and red clothes were worn by the lower classes and not to be confused with the brilliant color crimson which was produced by using the expensive kermes and cochineal dyes producing cloth which could only be afforded by the wealthy
    People who were allowed to wear the color red during the Elizabethan era, as decreed by the English Sumptuary Laws, were lower and upper classes."

P.S. This is all just for fun. I know MB will say whatever they please as a marketing attempt. The point is to spawn some discussion on the board.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to AzJon For This Useful Post:

Marsilius (April 21st, 2017)

Thanks

I thought maybe it might have had something to do with Romeo and Juliet and the famous balcony dialog. You know the " Romeo ,where for art thou Romeo..."

Thanks
    Thanked 6,427 Times in 2,519 Posts

Or perhaps there was a mistake at the Austrian ink manufacturing facility resulting in an over-abundance of red ink, so to turn it into black, a deal was made with Montblanc, and the rest is medieval history. (Well, sort-of.)

Fred

19. The Following User Says Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

AzJon (April 30th, 2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FredRydr View Post
    Or perhaps there was a mistake at the Austrian ink manufacturing facility resulting in an over-abundance of red ink, so to turn it into black, a deal was made with Montblanc, and the rest is medieval history. (Well, sort-of.)

Fred
    Glad they made the mistake, because I really like this ink
    Omas lover, and have a few other pens

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Spideysgirl View Post
    I thought maybe it might have had something to do with Romeo and Juliet and the famous balcony dialog. You know the " Romeo ,where for art thou Romeo..."
    Ah yes, the rumoured deleted line.

JULIET: O Romeo, Romeo, wherefore art thou Romeo?
    Deny thy father and refuse thy name.

ROMEO: Aye, pet, I'll be along in a minute. I'm just filling up me 146 with this Velvet Red and I'll be reet wi' ya, petal. If ya could just make tha' light from yonder window break a bit more, it'll go all the quicker, love.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to grainweevil For This Useful Post:

EHV (May 11th, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,067 Times in 4,019 Posts

In my mind, the cake is red velvet...

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

AzJon (April 30th, 2017)