Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Go to inks

Thanks

Default Re: Go to inks

I seem to always have Sailor Blue/Black and Sheaffer Skrip Peacock in at least one pen at all times... until my Peacock sample bottle runs out
    Sam O

"A fountain pen with a bad nib is like a Ferrari with a flat tyre..." - Brian Gray, Edison pens

Thanks

Parker Quink washable blue, love this ink. Put it in a nice old pen with ebonite feed.

Thanks

Aurora Black is my go to black.

Aurora Blue is a go to for some wetter pens (I find this ink well lubricated but not all that wet and is dependable, well behaved and cleans out well. A solid royal blue performer). Nearly identical is MB Royal Blue. Similar color, behavoir. Also a slick ink but with a slightly relucant flow.

For drier pens i use a lot of Visconti Blue or Asa-gao

For Vintage pens, many get: Waterman Florida Blue

Blue-black of choice is Sailor

Probably half my pens get Sailor Blue black, Waterman FL Blue, Aurora Blue, or Visconti Blue. A few pens are always inked with Aurora Black for work.

If I need water resistence (monsoon season) Pilot Blue is a go to.

Red (markup): MB Corn Poppy Red.

But really it boils down to 1 Black, 1 Red for mark-up, one vintage safe blue, one wet blue, one dry blue. & Anything else is just extra.

BUT I HAVE A LOT OF EXTRA. heh.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to stub For This Useful Post:

inklord (April 25th, 2017)

Thanks

Almost permanently I have J Herbin Eclat de Saphir in one pen (stub nib) and Perle Noire in another (fine nib). My third inked pen has a different ink every week. I try to keep it at three inked pens, but sometimes a fourth or fifth slips in.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,856 Times in 806 Posts

I always carry two pens and one of them is always filled with MB Permanent Blue. It's fully waterproof, works well with cheap papers and has nice shading.

Thanks

I'm so boring. Waterman Intense Black. Some day I'll get another couple of pens and maybe even a second bottle of ink.

Thanks

Recently, I've been keeping MB Tolstoy in my EF VP.
    And the Voyager has BB Aofuji... but mainly because I'm too lazy to take the time to do a full clean to switch inks because vac filled pen.

Thanks

With all the inks available, is it really so that those who use mainly a few inks still use blue, black, or blue-black? Very few of us seem to use just one or two inks with those inks being, lets say, Sailor "Oku-Yama" and Noodler's "Zhivago". I find that puzzling. Other than myself, I know only one other fp person who could happily live with just one ink, and it's neither blue nor black nor whatever we may perceive to be a blue-black... So, come out of the woodwork, odd color people! Any single ink user claiming Diamine "Claret" to be "It"???
    (Of course there's our Yama-Dori lover on pg 1 of this thread, and Mr.Toffee (Fred) - hooray to these pheasant and toffee lovers!
    Last edited by inklord; April 26th, 2017 at 02:34 PM.

Thanks

Does Cthulhu still post on here? Last I knew, he used gall from the unwholesomely ancient oak forests of Y'gh'thaan mixed with the unceasing tears of the damned, and it was of a colour not of any normal spectrum.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to R.A. Stewart For This Useful Post:

Dreck (April 26th, 2017), inklord (April 26th, 2017), JapaG (April 26th, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,426 Times in 2,518 Posts

Sounds evil enough to clog anything.

Fred

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by R.A. Stewart View Post
    Does Cthulhu still post on here? Last I knew, he used gall from the unwholesomely ancient oak forests of Y'gh'thaan mixed with the unceasing tears of the damned, and it was of a colour not of any normal spectrum.
    You may be thinking of Noodler's El Lawrence
    Online arguments are a lot like the Rocky Horror Picture Show.
    As soon as the audience begins to participate, any actual content is lost in the resulting chaos and cacophony.
    At that point, all you can do is laugh and enjoy the descent into debasement.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by inklord View Post
    With all the inks available, is it really so that those who use mainly a few inks still use blue, black, or blue-black? Very few of us seem to use just one or two inks with those inks being, lets say, Sailor "Oku-Yama" and Noodler's "Zhivago". I find that puzzling. Other than myself, I know only one other fp person who could happily live with just one ink, and it's neither blue nor black nor whatever we may perceive to be a blue-black... So, come out of the woodwork, odd color people! Any single ink user claiming Diamine "Claret" to be "It"???
    (Of course there's our Yama-Dori lover on pg 1 of this thread, and Mr.Toffee (Fred) - hooray to these pheasant and toffee lovers!
    I refuse to use an ink whose name I can't pronounce. That puts a serious limit on the choices right there. I tried a couple of Herbin inks and have to wipe my chin when I name them. I get a hard look from my wife when I mention Poussiere de Lune.

I use a lot of homemade black walnut and butternut inks but those are a little too specialized for most fountain pen users.
    Last edited by Paddler; April 26th, 2017 at 05:47 PM.
    "Nothing is enough for the man to whom enough is too little." -Epicurus-

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Paddler For This Useful Post:

Dreck (April 26th, 2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Paddler View Post

I use a lot of homemade black walnut and butternut inks but those are a little too specialized for most fountain pen users.
    Wow - you get those filtered well enough so they don't clog the feed?

Thanks

That's what I'm wondering. What would I have to do to procure a sample of your black walnut ink?
    Online arguments are a lot like the Rocky Horror Picture Show.
    As soon as the audience begins to participate, any actual content is lost in the resulting chaos and cacophony.
    At that point, all you can do is laugh and enjoy the descent into debasement.

Thanks

The only ink I have two bottles of is Waterman's Mysterious Blue. It's my first choice for my vintage pens, and any new pens, and sort of a default, known good ink.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dreck View Post

That's what I'm wondering. What would I have to do to procure a sample of your black walnut ink?
    I filter the inks through a respirator filter that is fine enough to remove pollen from the air. The filters are easily and cheaply available at local hardware stores. A small plastic funnel and some hot melt glue cobbles up a gravity fed ink filter. Examination with a microscope reveals no stray walnut cells that could clog a feed or bridge up in a nib slit. Coffee filters are not fine enough.

Walnut ink is a bit corrosive, so I have to be careful to use only gold nibs. Steel nibs for dip pens wear flat quickly.

As for samples, I don't know what to say. I have about a dozen different kinds, made with different recipes at different times of the year. The walnut ink gives a rich, warm brown line. Made with iron, it is a rich black color. Butternut husk ink starts out like walnut, but then it coats the inside of the inkwell with a yellow substance and then it turns a mousy brown. I haven't saved any of that.

I posted some recipes on FPN, years ago. They should still be there. They are not posted under ink recipes. They are under the general blab threads. A search for butternut should turn them up. (I don't hang out there any more. There are so many blinky ads it crashes my browser.)
    "Nothing is enough for the man to whom enough is too little." -Epicurus-

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paddler For This Useful Post:

Dreck (April 27th, 2017), inklord (April 27th, 2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dreck View Post

I filter the inks through a respirator filter that is fine enough to remove pollen from the air. The filters are easily and cheaply available at local hardware stores. A small plastic funnel and some hot melt glue cobbles up a gravity fed ink filter. Examination with a microscope reveals no stray walnut cells that could clog a feed or bridge up in a nib slit. Coffee filters are not fine enough.

Walnut ink is a bit corrosive, so I have to be careful to use only gold nibs. Steel nibs for dip pens wear flat quickly.

As for samples, I don't know what to say. I have about a dozen different kinds, made with different recipes at different times of the year. The walnut ink gives a rich, warm brown line. Made with iron, it is a rich black color. Butternut husk ink starts out like walnut, but then it coats the inside of the inkwell with a yellow substance and then it turns a mousy brown. I haven't saved any of that.

I posted some recipes on FPN, years ago. They should still be there. They are not posted under ink recipes. They are under the general blab threads. A search for butternut should turn them up. (I don't hang out there any more. There are so many blinky ads it crashes my browser.)
    Thanks for all the info - never thought of using respirator filters to clean up fluids, but it makes sense! We have a big old Black Walnut tree by the house and we use both the nuts and make dye from the hulls... I know what my next project will be!

Thanks

I always have my Sailor 1911 filled with Sailor Kiwaguro Nano Carbon

Thanks

I enjoy a variety of inks. I normally keep a dozen plus pens filled. I do not use a particular ink with a particular with a certain pen. The inks I chose for filling are Iroshizuku, Sailor, and Diamine.

I clean my pens monthly, then refill them with choices from previously stated inks. Sometimes I mainly use mainly blue inks and red inks, other times a rainbow of colors.

That is the great thing about pens/inks is the unlimited choices.

InCoWri 2018, Letter Writers Alliance Member, Postable link: www.postable.com/bradharris, postcrossing