Thread: Extensive Pen Collection

Thanks

Default Extensive Pen Collection

Hi everyone,

Around 10 years ago, I inherited my grandfathers pen collection. He collected pens for many years and I have a little over 700 pens. I do not have much knowledge and this is my first attempt at finding someone that could help me with the sale of the pen collection. I do plan on keeping A good bit of the collection, but I really don't even know where to start with the rest. Any help would be appreciated.

Here is a link to a pictures of the collection.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/154241537@N06/8nh0wx
    Last edited by Atxpens; April 24th, 2017 at 09:07 AM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Atxpens For This Useful Post:

spiralguy (April 26th, 2017), TropicalPenGal (April 26th, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,081 Times in 555 Posts

Default Re: Extensive Pen Collection

post some photos!

Thanks

I'll add more when I get home.

Quote Originally Posted by Atxpens View Post
    Hi everyone,

Around 10 years ago, I inherited my grandfathers pen collection. He collected pens for many years and I have a little over 700 pens. I do not have much knowledge and this is my first attempt at finding someone that could help me with the sale of the pen collection. I do plan on keeping A good bit of the collection, but I really don't even know where to start with the rest. Any help would be appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

For most of those David Nishimura or Gary Lehrer might be great resources.

Thanks

I would agree. Unless you want to sell them off individually, which would require gaining specific knowledge of exactly what you have, the condition of everything, (and are they restored and ready to write?), having an honest person that is immensely knowledgeable and that may buy the whole lot for a fair price is probably your best bet.

There are others but those two gentleman are a terrific place to start.

Perhaps if you spend some time here and investigate elsewhere, you may take a great liking to that collection. There looks to be some lovely pens there and they seem to be in great condition. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by jar View Post
    For most of those David Nishimura or Gary Lehrer might be great resources.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,042 Times in 4,011 Posts

I concur with the previous two posters. Both Mr. Lehrer and Mr. Nishimura are well respected in the field and would be good resources. In all honesty, it really would be best for a single person to assess the entire collection and guide you, rather than picking it apart piece by piece by individuals who might want this or that. It is an important legacy collection that should be handled with care and respect.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

Thanks
    Thanked 6,703 Times in 1,972 Posts

I would also recommend Mr. Pete Kirby who also has both the experience and the trust to handle pen collection estates like this.
    His email is conrad.kirby@sbcglobal.net

I also have his phone number if you prefer that, just PM me for that.
    I don't want him to kill me if I post his phone here
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

Thanks

some serious pens there, and I'd agree with comments from others regarding the two gentlemen already mentioned. Sold privately, people will simply cherry pick, and you won't know if you're getting a fair market price, and you'll be left with the 'leftovers'. Of course, most folk here are in awe, and wouldn't part with any of them
    Best of luck.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,804 Times in 1,697 Posts

You inherited a real treasure.

But also consider this: if you are willing to invest time into the collection learn about the pens, you could find out which ones YOU like (not necessarily the most valueable ones), which ones are valuable expensive rare ones, and finally which ones YOU want to keep and which ones you want to give away (a dealer always is interested in the most profitable ones)

But there is a danger, you might end up with a new hobby at the end.....

As you are owning the collection since 10 years and assuming that you donīt need the money selling the pens urgently you might want consider that path.

And also in case you want to get the most monetary value out of your collection, selling them piece by piece by your own will be much more profitable than selling big parts of the collection to a professional dealer (all of them also want to make money, also the honorable and reputable ones).
    But this also require at least some time to find out what you have and which value it has.

But what was said above is not wrong, the easiest way is to go to a reputable dealer, put the collection on the table, ask for an offer, negotiate a bit and take the offered money .....

Thanks

Hi everyone,

Hi,

The advice about Gary and David is very good, they are honest and fair. I have done business with them for over twenty years. Rob and Rita Lot at 5 star pens are also fair and honest.

I also buy extremely large collections of pens.

If you would like assistance in handling your collection, feel free to contact me for suggestions.

Best wishes,
    Paul "Doug" Berg

Thanks

If I didn't know much about pens, I would want someone to make a detailed appraisal of the collection. Whether you sell any or all of it, or if you decide to keep it, a detailed appraisal will help you to decide what to sell, and how much insurance you might want of any you keep.

Thanks

What a huge collection! It seems like a wide range models and conditions. I hope you have the best of luck in your decisions. Seeking an expert does seems like the best advice.

Thanks

Hi everyone,

Thanks everyone for all the information. I really had no idea what I had until this week when I started going through the collection. I can see how easily I could pick this up. My wife told me it's just what I needed "Another Hobby" I guess I'm going to bite the bullet and start figuring out what I have. I am in no rush to sale, and I am learning I have some pretty valuable pens in the collection. 700 hundred pens is a lot to go through, but I think it will be well worth the effort. I will continue to post on the board and appreciate the help and feedback in such a short time. I don't want to let the whole collection go, so this will allow me to really get some insight to my collection.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Atxpens For This Useful Post:

EHV (April 27th, 2017)