Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Current vacuum fillers?

Thanks

Default Re: Current vacuum fillers?

The Asvine V169 pens are traditional vac fillers. I have not used one, but for $40.00 USD on Amazon, I might take a shot.

I have had a Vac 700 crack through the section, but not a recent production pen.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,828 Times in 1,163 Posts

PenBBS 456 and 268 are worth a look.

Thanks

WS 601
    Add Lightness and Simplicate

Thanks
    Thanked 11,077 Times in 4,023 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gulfcoast View Post
    The Asvine V169 pens are traditional vac fillers. I have not used one, but for $40.00 USD on Amazon, I might take a shot.
    I'm a longtime user of Sheaffer vacs, and nothing new has surpassed them, at least in panache and general operation. That said, I try not to have my head stuck in the sand, so I've kept tabs on developments, up to and including the above-mentioned PenBBS models. However, I recently tried two models of the Asvine pens (what an unfortunate brand name), one of which is the V126 vac filler. This model is very clearly a visual model on the Pilot 823, and at the moment only comes in three finishes; I chose a somewhat unique one, a matte-finish transparent model.

I will say up-front that I tried these pens because they were the only new Chinese fountain pens that had Medium nibs listed; at the time, I also was unaware that this is the company that had actually been manufacturing pens for both PenBBS and Hong Dian. Both the V126 and P20, which is a piston-filler that very, very closely mimics the Leonargo MZ pens, are made to a remarkably high standard of quality. I don't even have to work hard to 'keep an open mind' when examining them - fit and finish, quality control, everything about these pens is very well done. I can't remember any pen with smoother barrel threads, and all 4 nibs I've gotten have been not just adequate, but very good. At under $30 on eBay, it is just silly how good of a fountain pen experience one can have. I am going to carry a set of these, inked up, to any pen meetups in the months ahead, to allow new users to consider spending money wisely.

If the world were perfect, they would wrap this all up in new designs and makes a completely unique statement, something PenBBS did. I won't give up my Leonardos and replace them with these. Still, the last decade has brought us remarkable writing instruments at all levels of purchase, and these pens show that a small investment can yield a pen that not only performs well, but gives every indication that it will do so for years to come.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Gulfcoast (May 8th, 2023), Sailor Kenshin (May 13th, 2023), Yazeh (June 16th, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,082 Times in 632 Posts

Which fills when a vacuum is created inside by the action of the plunger tube.

Modern fillers use a threaded plastic rod to create— guess what?— a vacuum.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,077 Times in 4,023 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Chip View Post

I'm a little unclear if this a question or not, but of the two models I mentioned, the V126 is a vacuum-fill pen, easily seen in action in the clear version below. Note that, like the Pilot 823, the pen incorporates an ink stopper to prevent leaking; for extended writing sessions, you back the blinc cap off a few turns to allow ink to flow into the section. The P20, shown second, is a piston model; while the versions available are in modern, colored acrylics, you *can* see the piston in some of them. Also notable in this pen is the ink window incorporated into the barrel.

The two model lines are different in design and functionality.

"When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Gulfcoast (May 8th, 2023), Lloyd (May 7th, 2023), Yazeh (June 16th, 2023)

Thanks

If you don't mind SLIGHTLY vintage, a few years back Conklin made a LE Nozac Word Gauge piston filler. It works just like the Pilot 823, but was bigger and more colorful, and the nib was 18K. I don't know how easy it is to find one for sale, though.
    If you like a fine - XF nib, I have a 1940s Sheaffer that is in absolutely pristine condition, probably never used, slurps up water like camel, in a set with a pencil, black with clear stripes for ink view.
    conklin.jpg
    sheaffer balance set box.jpg

Thanks
    Thanked 2,304 Times in 1,322 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chip View Post

I'm a little unclear if this a question or not, but of the two models I mentioned...]
    I'm with you.

Every self-filler uses a vacuum. The other option is eyedropper, if you're wanting to get ink in a tube; but I suppose you could submerge in some Archimedean fashion as well. That seems unnecessarily messy though...

The point isn't that they all use a variation of a vacuum principle. The point (and a large portion of the hobby) is the plethora of ways people figured out how to make one to suck ink in a pen - largely to avoid others' patents.

Dear god, look at all the ways you can compress a rubber sac and make a vacuum.

Yeah, that long stroke plunger (in all its variations) is cool.
    "A truth does not mind being questioned. A lie does not like being challenged."

Thanks

At YourAirCompressor, we're committed to providing our customers with the highest quality products and exceptional customer service. your aircompressor

Thanks

I have a Nahvalur Original Plus that I like, mine is the Matira White.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to tde44 For This Useful Post:

dneal (June 17th, 2023)

Thanks

Pineider has a new vac filler. Approx. $200, but someone said that Pineider was going to implement a price increase for their pens on July 1, 2023.
    Review: Inkquiring Minds, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-n1TijvxR4.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Rin Tin Pen For This Useful Post:

dneal (June 26th, 2023)

Thanks

Like mentioned above, the Pilot 823 is a great option. I purchased a demonstrator version from Japan with a Coarse nib and it’s awesome. I also like the black / demo Nahvalur Original Plus I purchased from Atlas Stationery. Good luck with your purchase!