Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Current vacuum fillers?

Thanks

Default Current vacuum fillers?

Hey all, I've decided I would like to try a vacuum filler. I have all these inks that I'd like to rotate through and the idea of a vac filler looks fun.

As far as I can tell, the only currently available (new) vac fillers are the TWSBI vac700r/mini and the Pilot 823.

I've read entirely too many horror stories about TWSBI pens cracking and I don't want to be a statistic. The Pilot looks good in terms of quality but I would really prefer a clear transparent demonstrator (so I can tell what ink I have by looking).

As far as I can tell these are the only ones out there. Did I miss any?

I've read about Schaeffers from yesteryear but again, I'd like something new that I don't have to restore.

Thanks for any thoughts...

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

Default Re: Current vacuum fillers?

There is also the Conid pens and several Visconti pens with the Power Filler.

Thanks

The issue about cracking TWSBI pens is regarding older piston fill models that predate the Diamond 580. The two TWSBI Vac-700 I own are amongst the very best modern pens I have. I wouldn't hesitate to own another.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,430 Times in 2,520 Posts

And the Edison, which has a wide range of color and model options.

Fred

Thanks

OK, just to sort things out: While the Conid Bulkfiller has a plunger filling system with detachable piston, it is NOT a plunger-vacuum filler. Edison manufactures the Menlo "Pump Filler" with a filling system that used to be called a vacuum filler and was once offered in pens like Parker's Vacumatic and 51 models - an altogether different beast.
    TWSBI, Visconti and Pilot are the only contemporary "big" brands offering a plunger-vacuum filler, wherein the vacuum is produced behind the plunger piston on the downstroke, then this vacuum connects with the airspace before and therefore with the feed and the ink in the bottle, and it sucks (in a good way). Since the TWSBI has recently been fitted with an improved piston design, it is actually now "the latest" in plunger vacuum technology. Previously the Pilot 823 and TWSBI Vac700 had virtually identical filling systems.
    I've owned two Vac 700's since they first came out and both are excellent pens that only needed a slight adjustment of wetness (I like my pens rather wet). No cracks, no complaints. The nib on the Pilot 823, however, is superior to the JoWo nibs in the TWSBI's which are just good nibs.
    The Viscontis are rather prestigeous and expensive, and not my cup of tea.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to inklord For This Useful Post:

FredRydr (April 25th, 2017), Robert (April 25th, 2017)

Thanks

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Seems to me that maybe its worth giving the TWSBI a shot. I really like the look of the pen, but was just feeling that with my luck, I'd get one that cracked. Inklord, I agree on the Visconti, its outside of what I want to spend on a pen, even the Pilot is. I think I'll try the Vac700r and see how it goes. Maybe the Vac Mini. Who knows. Thanks again for the input.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,728 Times in 1,976 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by N6GQ View Post
    I've read about Schaeffers from yesteryear but again, I'd like something new that I don't have to restore.
    You could buy one that is already restored.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

9. The Following User Says Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

inklord (April 26th, 2017)

Thanks

<sigh!> Perhaps the term "vacuum" should be banned from pendom. It is all so confusing.

Oh, then there's Brad Torelli's vacuum filler that sucks up ink like a [expletive deleted].

Fred

11. The Following User Says Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

Thanks

And just to add to the already excellent stuff above; the Pilot 823 *does* come in a clear demonstrator version but you'd have to purchase directly from a Japanese seller.
    It's also less expensive direct from Japan, (but you may need to take a hit on having a warranty).
    There is also a Smoke version available from Japan too and of course the Amber one, which is the only one currently available in the States.

I have purchased from Japanese sellers on E-Bay, Amazon and directly many, many times with perfect results as have so many on this forum.

Lastly, I will echo the sentiment that the Vac700 or the Vac700R are not likely to have any cracking issues. I'd never say never but that would be true for any pen made of plastic.
    And, if something were to ever happen to a TWSBI, their customer service has proven themselves to be excellent and usually very attentive.

Thanks

Keep in mind the TWSBI just recently released their new 700 R. And I understand the cracking issues are with older models. On this new model they also put a new seal for the front of the pen where it shuts off for airline use.

I have one it is great.
    Have a great day!!

Roger

Thanks

K5MOW, thanks for the thoughts on the 700R.

I've often wondered, in these vac-fills, they reference that plunger sitting atop where the ink enters the section and feed, and how that should be tightened down before getting on a plane so that pressure changes don't force ink out of the feed. Got that. So how come this isn't an issue with piston fillers, cartridge pens, and any other feed mechanism? Or is it, and the vac fills are the only ones that have a real solution? I've flown a lot with my FPs (converters, cartridges) and never had an issue with leakage, but is the vac fill somehow different in that regard?

It just seems annoying to have to keep the end of the pen loose in order to allow ink to flow when you want to actually write.

I must be missing something

Thanks
    Thanked 3,712 Times in 1,610 Posts

K5MOW, thanks for the thoughts on the 700R.

I've often wondered, in these vac-fills, they reference that plunger sitting atop where the ink enters the section and feed, and how that should be tightened down before getting on a plane so that pressure changes don't force ink out of the feed. Got that. So how come this isn't an issue with piston fillers, cartridge pens, and any other feed mechanism? Or is it, and the vac fills are the only ones that have a real solution? I've flown a lot with my FPs (converters, cartridges) and never had an issue with leakage, but is the vac fill somehow different in that regard?

It just seems annoying to have to keep the end of the pen loose in order to allow ink to flow when you want to actually write.

I must be missing something
    I'm old enough to remember when airline cabin pressure was a real issue; back when airlines gave you a stick of gum when boarding and told you to chew on it while the plane was climbing to prevent pain in your ears from the pressure changes.

Way back then, I also carried fountain pens with me during flights. I also carried fountain pens during short hop Twin Otter flights into new resort development areas.

Way back then none of my pens had shut off valves (actually I don't think any of mine do now). Fountain pen leaks were simply not an issue as long as they were kept nib up and unused during take off, climb, descent or landing. Using then when in flight was fine as well.

Thanks

And note that I can write almost 2 full A4 sized pages with my Pilot 823 without unscrewing the plunger mechanism.

My Vac700 -(original) usually works for a page in that regard. Quicker notes or shorter writing sessions are not an issue. YMMV in this regard though as I've seen mention of different writing duration with the knob still tightened down.

And, I too have flown recently, (yes, my arms were very tired ) with full cartridge/converter pens and did not have a problem. 2 were in my shirt pocket and 2 more were in my suitcase. A vac filler may be different but I'm not sure why.

Thanks

I have a Vac 700 that cracked inside the section and the nib unit literally fell out. Cost me an email and $3.00 to fix, but still. I have another Vac 700 that is still going strong.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to WmEdwards For This Useful Post:

Thanks

1) The vac pens simply have an added seal to shut of the connection between the ink resevoir and the feed because they have a very large ink capacity that could actually flood the entire cap and cause a real mess if the pen were in a position other than nib-up and pressure changes would occur. For similar reasons some Japanese eyedropper pens such as the Namiki Emperor or the Eboya eyedroppers have an integrated shut-off valve.
    2) It seems that the Pilot 823's feed has a larger capacity than the TWSBI's, allowing for prolonged writing with the shut-off valve closed.
    3) The changes in the Vac700-->Vac700r transition center on the plunger seal construction, and are supposed to remedy occasionally hesitant ink flow experienced by some in the old model.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to inklord For This Useful Post:

EHV (April 27th, 2017), N6GQ (April 26th, 2017), WmEdwards (April 27th, 2017)

Thanks

Just to chime in quickly, I have a TWSBI 700 and it's a good pen. It does not write for any length of time before I have to unscrew the back. As for Visconti, I have 5 power fillers and they are all exceptional writing instruments. The way they are designed you don't need to unscrew or meddle with anything they just write right, . If you want to get a feel for a Vac. Filler TWSBI is the way to go. If you want a pen that will last and is superb Visconti has quite a few to choose from.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jacoby190 For This Useful Post:

Bob (May 3rd, 2017), N6GQ (April 30th, 2017)

Thanks

In today's fast-paced world, vacuum fillers have become an essential tool in the food industry. Whether it's for filling sausages, meat, or any other food product, vacuum fillers are the go-to choice for many businesses. With so many options available on the market, it can be challenging to determine which vacuum filler is the best fit for your business. In this blog post, we'll take a closer look at the current vacuum fillers available and help you make an informed decision.First on our list is the Vemag HP10C Vacuum Filler. This machine is designed to handle both high and low viscosity products with ease, making it a versatile choice for any food manufacturer. It's also incredibly user-friendly, with an intuitive control panel that allows for precise adjustments to be made during the filling process. Additionally, its high-speed output ensures that production is efficient and cost-effective.

Next up is the Handtmann VF 800 Vacuum Filler. This machine is designed to handle a wide range of products, from delicate pastes to chunky meat mixes. It's also incredibly hygienic, with an easy-to-clean design that minimizes the risk of contamination. The VF 800 is also highly customizable, allowing businesses to tailor the machine to their specific needs.

The Talsa K100N Vacuum Filler is another popular choice among food manufacturers. This machine is known for its robust construction and ability to handle high volumes of product. It's also incredibly versatile, with a range of filling nozzles that can be customized to fit different products. Additionally, its user-friendly control panel makes it easy for operators to adjust settings on the fly.

The Risco RS 4001 Vacuum Filler is a newer addition to the market but has quickly gained popularity among food manufacturers. This machine is designed to handle a wide range of products, from meat to dairy and even vegetarian options. It's also incredibly precise, with a programmable control panel that allows for precise adjustments to be made during the filling process. Additionally, the RS 4001 is incredibly easy to clean, with a hygienic design that reduces the risk of contamination.

Finally, we have the Treif Puma Vacuum Filler. This machine is designed for smaller businesses that still require high-quality vacuum filling capabilities. It's incredibly user-friendly, with a simple control panel that allows for precise adjustments to be made during the filling process. Additionally, its compact design makes it easy to move around the production floor, making it a great choice for businesses with limited space.

In conclusion, there are many vacuum fillers available on the market, each with their unique dyson stock features and benefits. When selecting a vacuum filler, it's essential to consider factors such as the type of products being filled, the volume of production, and the level of customization required. By taking these factors into account, businesses can select the vacuum filler that best fits their needs and ensures high-quality production.

Thanks

Hey all, I've decided I would like to try a vacuum filler. I have all these inks that I'd like to rotate through and the idea of a vac filler looks fun.

Thanks for any thoughts...
    Try a freshly restored Sheaffer Vac-Fill from the likes of Ron Zorn or Gerry Berg. They won’t break like a TWSBI, and will have that je ne sais quoi that modern plunger fillers lack. You could go from a slim Triumph to an oversized Balance. Once restored, the new seals are long-lived and the pens hold plenty of ink.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,082 Times in 632 Posts

Physics 101: Virtually all the plunger-piston reservoir pens use various mechanisms to create a vacuum to draw ink into the pen.

The old Sheaffer vac fillers were a unique application of the idea. Later models, such as the Touchdown piston fillers, were a refinement of the concept.

Thanks

Touchdowns do not use a piston; they use a sac.
    Last edited by FredRydr; May 4th, 2023 at 04:36 PM.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

fountainpenkid (May 4th, 2023)