Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A few size comparisons of models. I hope this helps others

Thanks

Default Re: A few size comparisons of models. I hope this helps others

I know you don't favor the Starwalker resin line, mmahany, but I'm wondering if you could tell me if the section of the fineliner/roller is resin or metal. When I tried it in the Montblanc store the entire pen felt light like resin, but I got one off the bay that looks totally authentic, except for the section, which seems to be metal, and it feels extremely top-heavy (to me,
    at least). Don't want to hijack the thread but thought someone could answer it here......Also, on another note, if you have any Starwalker fountain pens you'd like to get off your hands,
    consider me interested!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by bluefeathers View Post
    I know you don't favor the Starwalker resin line, mmahany, but I'm wondering if you could tell me if the section of the fineliner/roller is resin or metal. When I tried it in the Montblanc store the entire pen felt light like resin, but I got one off the bay that looks totally authentic, except for the section, which seems to be metal, and it feels extremely top-heavy (to me,
    at least). Don't want to hijack the thread but thought someone could answer it here......Also, on another note, if you have any Starwalker fountain pens you'd like to get off your hands,
    consider me interested!
    Not a thread jack at all. I’m happy to help in any way I can. I have a lot of experience with the “entry level” Montblanc pens such as the Meisterstuck, Starwalker, and Boheme lines. It’s crazy when a brand’s entry level pens are in the $400-600 range.

The section should be metal on that pen. The Starwalker pens are very heavy compared to the Meisterstuck line. I personally like that. It gives the pen more of a pronounced feel.

Of note: I've owned 8 Montblanc Starwalker pens. Oddly enough, none of them have ever been a fountain pen!

Here is my take on the ones I’ve owned.

Metal and Rubber- These pens are awesome. They’re easy to hold, well made, and they get a lot of compliments. There are a lot of fakes out there. The most obvious sign of a fake is that the lower part of the barrel will be black instead of chrome

Cool Blue- The most aesthetically pleasing pen I own. The color and detail is awesome.

Mystery Black- Very nice looking pen. The design is similar to the military digital camo (only slightly)

My only qualm is with the Starwalker “precious resin” pens. Take this for what it’s worth (strictly opinion):
    Montblanc Midnight Black (resin)- I owned a midnight black ballpoint. It felt incredibly cheap. It felt even cheaper than my montblanc meisterstuck 164 ballpoint. The mechanism felt cheap, the resin felt cheap, and the design did not impress me one bit. In my opinion, avoid the Starwalker Resin unless you get a heck of a deal on one. The fineliners are significantly better though.

If you’re worried about the authenticity of the pen, post a few pictures in this thread. I know what all the common fakes look like and I can tell you very quickly if it’s a fake. I never tell people that I can confirm its authenticity because there are some very good fakes out there.
    Post a picture of the serial number (it should be on the clip ring not on the clip itself)
    Post a picture of the pen fully dissected (unscrew the section from the barrel and post all the pieces)
    Post a picture of the pen capped

Between those three pictures myself and others can tell you real quick if it’s a replica.

Thanks

Thank you for replying to my post. i'm surprised the section on the resin pen is metal too; I don't know how I mistook it for resin when I tried it! I agree, the metal/rubber Starwalker version is gorgeous. I've always wanted that pen, but thought the resin would be a good everyday pen. Here are some pics I took of the pen. I hope the owner doesn't get upset at me for posting the serial number if I return it...
    IMG_0498.JPGIMG_0499.JPGIMG_0504.JPGIMG_0505.JPG

Thanks

From the pictures, there is nothing to suggest that it's a fake/replica. Again, I'd have to see it in person to know for sure, but it looks authentic. I would say with 99% certainty that it is authentic.

Thanks

Thank you for taking the time to look at the photos. It probably is authentic then. I'm still going to return it, since the pen is too top-heavy for comfortable writing, but at least I know what it is.

Thanks

Mmahany, I know I am late to this very helpful post - but I had a question. I received my first MontBlanc last Christmas (163 meisterstuck rb) and since then I have started a small collection. I learned quite a bit by reading some of your posts on the fpn. I purchased a LeGrand ballpoint and recently I purchased what I thought was a 149. This was my first mb fountain pen, although I bought a Parker 51 at a antique store and have been using it for about 3 months to familiarize myself with using a fountain pen. My "149" doesn't say 149 on the cap band and it came with a traveler pen pouch. The size looks about the same as my LeGrand ballpoint. Could you give me some quick comparison facts where I can properly identify my fountain pen? Of course I am open to everyone's help....

Thanks

Senior Member I like mango pudding's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cameo View Post
    these links don't work. If you cap band says Meisterstuck and is about the same size as the 163 or your LeGrand bp, you most likely have the 144, or quite possibly the 145 which is slightly thicker in girth. working links or an actual pic would help. I have the 163, 144, 145, 146 and 149 myself, so I can tell you right away which one you have.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to I like mango pudding For This Useful Post:

Cameo (November 30th, 2013)

Thanks

The size looks about the same as my LeGrand ballpoint.
    I agree with "I like mango pudding" that this sounds like a 144 or 145.

To insert pictures, you need to use the 'Advanced' reply. For some reason, the quick reply only insert dead links.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to kaisnowbird For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thanks for the info - sorry about the dead links...image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Thanks

This pen is definitely larger than my 163, 164 pens and is just about the exact same size as my LeGrand ballpoint.

Thanks

THat's a 147, also known as the Traveler. You can tell immediately from the double cartridge holder. The only MB that has that. Yes, you do have a gen if you are worried. THe leather case is part of the 147 overall package. Some sellers split them up to make more money off each.

This is the one pen I do not have, but am quite familiar with

15. The Following User Says Thank You to I like mango pudding For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thanks! I wondered if it might be the 147. I'm happy to have it even though I thought I was buying a 149.

Thanks

I am late to respond, but what others have said is correct.

What you have there is a 147 Le Grand Traveler. It is the largest Meisterstuck cartridge filler.

With the case, they generally sell for about $50-75 less than a 149 in similar condition.

While the 147 is a wonderful pen (I've owned about 5 and currently own 2) I would ask the seller for a partial refund of the difference in "Fair market" prices, or a full refund if you're truly after a 149.

I personally consider the Traveler to be the best "all around" pen in my collection. It writes like a 146, but with the versatility of its smaller 114/144/145 cartridge filled brothers. It is great for traveling or in any situation where I can't take an inkwell with me. The leather case is great for holding extra cartridges which would last almost anyone through several weeks (if not months) of traveling.

Short answer: You got a slightly inferior pen in terms of price, but a pen I personally believe excels in every category and is worth adding to your collection.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mmahany For This Useful Post:

Cameo (December 3rd, 2013), kaisnowbird (December 3rd, 2013)

Thanks

This has been another learning experience for me. I was targeting a 149 but I am happy to have the 147. I paid $249 for the pen with the case. My current mindset is to sell a couple of my ballpoints and/or rollerball pens to save up for a 149. Thanks for this helpful post and again for the reply!

Thanks

If you are ever interested in selling. . .

Thanks

This has been another learning experience for me. I was targeting a 149 but I am happy to have the 147. I paid $249 for the pen with the case. My current mindset is to sell a couple of my ballpoints and/or rollerball pens to save up for a 149. Thanks for this helpful post and again for the reply!
    You did well imho. I also have a 147. It is a great pen but does not get the same kind of attention that the 149 and 146 receive. Enjoy your pen.

Thanks

Sounds like a pretty good deal to me!
    Kai

"Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished." -- Lao Tzu

Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 3,711 Times in 1,610 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by letterpage View Post
    Can you tell me whether these are real montblancs from the pictures?

Welcome home. Pull up a stump and set a spell. It is impossible to tell if a Montblanc is authentic from pictures but nothing seems to be out of character and 149s are seldom faked.