Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gone with the Wind ...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,222 Times in 598 Posts

Default Re: Gone with the Wind ...

In highschool I lost most of my collection in the course of a week (two 1st gen. Slender Vacumatics, a Pelikan M400 White Tortoise, and a 1st gen Vac pencil)--I suspect they were taken from my bookbag while I was away from it. I wanted to put a few "lost pens" posters in the halls, but the administration just laughed at me. It was infuriating, but the premature end it spelled for my Vacumatic collection got me into new pens I otherwise wouldn't have tried.
    Will
    If my p.m box is full, feel free to email me at dabantur@gmail.com.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by fountainpenkid View Post
    In highschool I lost most of my collection in the course of a week (two 1st gen. Slender Vacumatics, a Pelikan M400 White Tortoise, and a 1st gen Vac pencil)--I suspect they were taken from my bookbag while I was away from it. I wanted to put a few "lost pens" posters in the halls, but the administration just laughed at me. It was infuriating, but the premature end it spelled for my Vacumatic collection got me into new pens I otherwise wouldn't have tried.
    I would of died.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Thanks

I lost a small box full of Parker 51s in a move. What really bothered me was when I lost a Pelikan K200 blue swirl ballpoint. The K200 is the pen I used for the grocery list everyday.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,731 Times in 1,976 Posts

I love Sailor pens. So sorry to hear your loss.

Following Terie's advice above, leave a bit of room for the hope that one of your students found it and if you have not, spread the news in the school and prepare a small reward.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

Thanks

Thanks to all for the sympathy and good ideas. I have my students on the case. I talked to them twice this week. I spoke to the cleaning staff and went to all the Lost & Found in each of the buildings I taught in. It is looking grim but, but who knows, & of course I can let go knowing at least I left no stone unturned. I am still bummed.

I'd have prefered to lose nearly any of the other modern pens in my pen box. But that is how the cookie crumbles.

I was too busy being distraught to think of all the things mentioned in this thread so it turned out to be helpful and productive. I'll let you know if I get lucky.

Thanks

Thanks

I wish that I could offer up something to soothe or better yet, fix the situation but I just wanted to add that I too am sorry for the loss.

I love my 1911L as well so I surely understand that. I have reevaluated my work carry situation and will only carry pens under $20 out of the house. Some may scoff at that and say it's not intended to be that way but I'm fine with that because the rest of them all get used in rotation at home.

I do hope that your pen is found and returned to you safe and sound. I went to music conservatory as well and most of the students were just a good lot and from what you say, your students are too so, I'm hoping that we see an update very soon with excellent news.
    Last edited by EHV; May 4th, 2017 at 05:32 AM. Reason: spelling

Thanks

Do you have any students who are failing? Maybe they took it or found it and said "oh yea, time for some voodoo"...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,282 Times in 556 Posts

Well, stub, if you can survive this loss, it can prepare you for worse losses. I'm a multiple-pen losser (I don't want to say "loser"), so I know whereof I speak. From the barrel and nib of a Pelikan 600 (cap still clipped to my collar) to the Sheaffer barrel and nib of a Sheaffer Connaisseur (cap still clipped to my collar, because I won't learn; I refuse to learn) and the barrel of a Parker 75 Giselle (?) (Or am I thinking of the ballet?) with the nib still in the cap clipped to a lanyard around my neck (nice twist of fate, Parker! I still have the nib and cap) to the pair of Montblanc La Bohemes (one a ballpoint, but still!) in a fairly new leather case that fell out of my pocket as I walked the two short blocks to the subway in the Lower East Side. I well understand the "disturbance in the force" feeling before confirmation of the loss and the mental gymnastics of grappling with trying to find it and trying to accept the loss. The only way I was able to deal with the loss of the pair of Bohemes was to tell myself, "Probably the person who found them needed to find something good today." And then I let it go and didn't look back.

I understand this is your first loss.

Eventually, if you're lucky, your second reaction will be, "Oh goody! I get to replace that pen!" This phase usually occurs when one has a full-time job and little-to-no debt.

What I'm saying, perhaps awkwardly, is this: Time heals all wounds.

P.S. Some of us pen nerds have lost pens only to find them inexplicably weeks or months, even years, later. Not to give you false hope, but it does happen. Usually long after we've assuaged our loss with a replacement pen(s).

P.S. #2 You can infuse any pen with special meaning. Any pen can be a special occasion pen. I know. It sounds crazy. But it's also true.
    Last edited by ethernautrix; May 5th, 2017 at 05:09 PM. Reason: Articles unintentionally omitted.

Thanks

So I guess I should bump this thread.

Remember when i said i had never lost a pen and this was the first. We'll somewhat unbelievably I found this pen.

My original theory was that I ran to work very ill (god that was an awful day), took off my jacket in a hurry as I was sweating and very late and the pen made an escape when it came dislodged from my coat pocket when I flung it accord the chair.

Nice theory. But ...

I put that suit on for the first time in a while (finally getting cool enough for that suit again) and low and behold the pen did not come out of my pocket and on to the floor, it came, somehow, THROUGH the pocket and has been living in the lining of this coat since that day. The pen has been trapped at the bottom of the suit between the suit fabrick and the lining of the coat.

Bonkers. There must be hole in the suit someplace.

But I am now, again, the owner of a Sailor 1911L. Super glad to have this back. I remember buying it on January 2nd, somewhat overpriced to commorate something kind of important (rather not say) and really loving the pen and using it continuously.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to stub For This Useful Post:

Ahriman4891 (October 22nd, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,642 Times in 665 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by stub View Post
    But I am now, again, the owner of a Sailor 1911L. Super glad to have this back. I remember buying it on January 2nd, somewhat overpriced to commorate something kind of important (rather not say) and really loving the pen and using it continuously.
    :P It's funny that you mentioned a 1911L cuz that model was the one pen that I traded off (so technically not lost either), but one I wanted back enough that I ended up getting back the exact same 1911L from the person I traded it to two years later with the nib I liked on it (21K H-MF).

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KBeezie View Post
    :P It's funny that you mentioned a 1911L cuz that model was the one pen that I traded off (so technically not lost either), but one I wanted back enough that I ended up getting back the exact same 1911L from the person I traded it to two years later with the nib I liked on it (21K H-MF).
    I always sort of felt 'meh' about the 1911L. It is not especially "large". The nib is not especially luxurious feeling. Though now it comes in many special editions it has mostly been available in boring standard colors. Yet I took to it way more than I would have anticipated. It is just a nice workhorse pen. A lot like a modern Sheaffer Stateman Balance. I also have it in Black with Rhodium trim like yours and have a 21k H-M nib in mine. You standard black cigar shaped pen with a boring hard medium nib. Perfect for getting work done, which is way before I lost it, it was my "go-to" go to work pen. A real nice robust, easy to maintain no-nonsense pen much like any number of Pilot and Platinum offerings which also get pocket time at work where I need a reliable pen for all sorts of paper and that's it. I like the looks of the Progear better but the 1911L is somehow nicer in the hand.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,642 Times in 665 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by KBeezie View Post
    I always sort of felt 'meh' about the 1911L. It is not especially "large". The nib is not especially luxurious feeling. Though now it comes in many special editions it has mostly been available in boring standard colors. Yet I took to it way more than I would have anticipated. It is just a nice workhorse pen. A lot like a modern Sheaffer Stateman Balance. I also have it in Black with Rhodium trim like yours and have a 21k H-M nib in mine. You standard black cigar shaped pen with a boring hard medium nib. Perfect for getting work done, which is way before I lost it, it was my "go-to" go to work pen. A real nice robust, easy to maintain no-nonsense pen much like any number of Pilot and Platinum offerings which also get pocket time at work where I need a reliable pen for all sorts of paper and that's it. I like the looks of the Progear better but the 1911L is somehow nicer in the hand.
    It's sort of how I feel about my Lamy 2000, it gets work done but of all the similar pens to it it's more likely the one I'd want to have. (The Sailor 1911L being a bit more comfortable compared to the Lamy 2000). Like you said it's not particularly large compared to some pens out there. The main reason I got the 1911L is because the price was very good used and I wanted to give their 21K nib a go.

And I've noticed that too, of all the color choices and other appeals, the Pro Gear, or even the Pro Gear Slim look much nicer. (Debating on a few too, just in the trap of trying to decide on that versus two others I've inquired about). I just haven't really seen too many opportunities to grab a Pro Gear Classic used out there that wasn't either black or a demonstrator.

Thanks

What a happy ending! Sometimes the universe comes through. Enjoy your miracle pen!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,081 Times in 555 Posts

So I guess I should bump this thread.

Remember when i said i had never lost a pen and this was the first. We'll somewhat unbelievably I found this pen.

My original theory was that I ran to work very ill (god that was an awful day), took off my jacket in a hurry as I was sweating and very late and the pen made an escape when it came dislodged from my coat pocket when I flung it accord the chair.

Nice theory. But ...

I put that suit on for the first time in a while (finally getting cool enough for that suit again) and low and behold the pen did not come out of my pocket and on to the floor, it came, somehow, THROUGH the pocket and has been living in the lining of this coat since that day. The pen has been trapped at the bottom of the suit between the suit fabrick and the lining of the coat.

Bonkers. There must be hole in the suit someplace.

YES!! I remember when you lost it. I had a feeling at the time it would find its way back.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,148 Times in 434 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ethernautrix View Post
    P.S. Some of us pen nerds have lost pens only to find them inexplicably weeks or months, even years, later. Not to give you false hope, but it does happen. Usually long after we've assuaged our loss with a replacement pen(s).
    Yay! ethernautrix and her crystal ball comes through again. Glad you recovered your Sailor, stub. I've lost two pens over the years at work, both Pilot Metros. That's why I carry them, so it won't hurt so bad. The first was misplaced when I was doing maintenance on an instrument and took a lunch break. Found it 3 months later at the bottom of the instrument's tool box, hiding among the new sealed envelopes of replacement spacers and o-rings. It still wrote the first time I set it to paper. The second Pilot disappeared as I was checking in a huge pile of packages from UPS. I set my pen down next to her clipboard and while moving the packages around, she left, along with my pen. Saw her two days later and she had a whole pocket of pens she picked up along the way, but the Pilot wasn't in there.

All the Best.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

Glad you found your pen. I know what it feels like. While I have not lost a fountain pen, I've lost a ballpoint pen twice and both times it was in my car in that spot between the seat and the center console. It seems to like that spot. Luckily, the second time it happened, I went and looked for it and was relieved to find it.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot