Thread: Gold Bond restoration

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,703 Times in 1,972 Posts

Default Gold Bond restoration

You guys have no idea how much I've been waiting for this Gold Bond brand pen to "rise from the ashes". Last year the barrel and cap of this pen came to me, and I immediately like it because of its size and I can tell that this pen used to occupy the top tier model. But the section was missing and being a big pen (usually vintage pens are smaller) it's hard to find a section that would fit it, not to mention the one with a nib size that won't look ridiculously small.

Issue #2 is the clip. No clip came with the cap, just a stub that used to be a clip. Now what? Well, nothing else to do until an appropriately sized Z-clip come by. And one finally did, thankfully not costing me a lot like a seller on ebay wants for one. And it came with a nice "C" engraving. "C" for Cold Bond?

Okay, so now I had to borrow the inner cap puller from my FP restoration "master" and after soaking the cap for a few days, I finally were able to get the old inner cap out. Old clip stub out, new Z-clip in, and reinstall the inner cap with a lot of fitting and careful tapping. Careful is the key here, because one tap too many, I can crack the cap from the inside. Game over.

Back to Issue #1, what section will fit this beast? I tried about 10 different sections and modify 3 of them only to end up with non-satisfying creaky fit.

Fast forward to last week, enter the Morrison's 14K nib in a heavily stained Mandarin yellow barrel with no cap <--- it's amazing that the nib survived without a cap in the middle of basically a heap of junk, it was snuck up inside a batch of battered and broken bunch of pens I got from ebay. I didn't even remember seeing this pen in the photo. But the moment I hold the section, I knew I can use it for the Gold Beast. Some quality moments with the lathe later:

It fits like the glass shoe on Cinderella now.

So now the 64K question is: Why draw gold bars in the writing sample?
    I don't know, Gold Bond, Gold Bar... not enough coffee?
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to penwash For This Useful Post:

awa54 (September 15th, 2019), AzJon (May 4th, 2017), Chrissy (January 17th, 2020), Cyril (August 12th, 2020), Deb (July 14th, 2020), farmdogfan (May 5th, 2017), Jon Szanto (September 13th, 2019), juanseba (September 24th, 2019), Sailor Kenshin (May 4th, 2017)