Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Jinhao 992

Thanks

Default Re: Jinhao 992

Quote Originally Posted by dapprman View Post
    I had six arrive yesterday, one of each transparent colour. I converted one to an eye dropper before reading about the cracks, but all mine are fine. One of the other five would not write, but post unscrewing the nib unit, removing the nib, and soaking separately, they all work well. The five spare will be handed out as crack cocaine pens to new FP users.

And all for about the cost of a pint in London

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Onogaro View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AudreyP View Post
    I was shopping for washi tape on eBay this afternoon and the seller I was using had these beautiful clear fountain pens for 3$ each. I thought "why not?", so I threw a clear and a blue one in my basket. I found out after that they were Jinhao 922, and I was so happy to read good reviews. As for the cracks, I hope they find their way to me unharmed. I don't think I'll be causing any cracks because I never use the clips on my pens and I don't post them to write (tiny hands can be an advantage). I look forward to give you my impression of these little cubic zirconias ;-)
    Audrey,

The cracks aren't on the clips. They are on the bottom of the pen. They seem to appear all by their lonesomes.
    Except in my case, where I got both. Yay... And possibly Ryan's, as his broke off too.

Because various things keep coming up as the "reason", for the record I neither posted, never used the clip, nor went in for eyedropper conversion. Nor did I balance it on the end of my nose, stir my tea with it, or give it to a baby elephant in order to amuse it. (The elephant, not the pen.) Just spontaneous destruction at my desk, which it never left.

Of course I may have made the mistake of breaking mirrors over black cats whilst juggling upside-down horseshoes under ladders to account for this poor luck, but if so it's slipped my mind.

Thanks

@Grainweevil I suppose you have been a victim of Murphy's Law applied to fountain pens then I look forward to getting my pens now and seing if I can keep them nice, but I doubt that will be possible with kids. Meh, it's a 3$ pen, so I won't cry over them if they break after a while, for as many of you here, I have other pens

Thanks
    Thanked 1,297 Times in 543 Posts

I just received my first Jinhao 992. I chose not to get the pretty trunslucent colors, but rather a green/teal, normal looking plastic. So far I see no evidence of cracks. The clip appears to be secure and it writes remarkably well, smooth right out of the box. I paid $1.99. Pretty amazing.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk
    To continue to diminish the place of the handwritten in our lives is to diminish, in a small but real way, our humanity. Philip Hensher

Dunno ergo sum

5. The Following User Says Thank You to writingrav For This Useful Post:

Dragonmaster Lou (June 9th, 2017)

Thanks

My six-pack of demonstrators came in yesterday. I don't have a loupe, but I do have a strong magnifying glass, and I could find no evidence of cracking. Inked one (converter); like everyone else has said, it's a smooth writer, altho it is reluctant on an initial upstroke, if I don't have it lined up just right.
    In my mug: Sailor 21 P-P M, Cross Solo M, Online Calligraphy, Monteverde Invincia F, Hero 359 M, Jinhao X450 M, Levenger T-W M, Jinhao 159 , Platinum Balance F, TWSBI Classic 1.1, Platinum Preppy 0.3 F, 7 Pilot Varsities, Speedball penholder, TWSBI 580 USA EF, Pilot MR, Ahab 1.1, another Preppy 0.3, Preppy EF 0.2, ASA Sniper F, Click Majestic F, Kaweco Sport M, Pilot Prera F, Baoer 79 M, Hero 616 M, Jinhao X750

31 and counting

DaveBj

7. The Following User Says Thank You to DaveBj For This Useful Post:

Dragonmaster Lou (June 9th, 2017)

Thanks

Default Jinhao 992

Here is what happened with my Jinhao 992. I owned it less than two weeks. It writes well and looks good in solid green. Yesterday, when threading the cap onto the pen the trim ring fell off the cap. At first I thought it fell off but close examination revealed the trim ring broke off. I never over tightened the cap nor posted the cap. I do not think the plastic used in the construction of these pens is of high quality. I got my $1.99 worth from this pen. As of now the pen is residing in the trash can. See the photos.
    Attached Images Attached Images

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to newkid For This Useful Post:

Dragonmaster Lou (June 12th, 2017), Faustine (June 12th, 2017), JapaG (June 14th, 2017), VertOlive (June 11th, 2017)

Thanks

Let's hope the quality improves over time.

Thanks

I ordered a clear demonstrator a couple of weeks ago - it's still on the slow boat - but I was looking forward to it arriving. Now I'm hoping I only get problems that can be fixed with superglue. :-P
    It's all about the greys...

Thanks
    Thanked 3,788 Times in 1,642 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by newkid View Post
    Here is what happened with my Jinhao 992. I owned it less than two weeks. It writes well and looks good in solid green. Yesterday, when threading the cap onto the pen the trim ring fell off the cap. At first I thought it fell off but close examination revealed the trim ring broke off. I never over tightened the cap nor posted the cap. I do not think the plastic used in the construction of these pens is of high quality. I got my $1.99 worth from this pen. As of now the pen is residing in the trash can. See the photos.

That exact thing happened to a second hand TWSBI 580 I bought a while back.

Mine arrived (no cracks yet) and the nib on the first one I tried has an on/off flow. Should I try a dish soap & water soak first?
    Last edited by VertOlive; June 11th, 2017 at 05:47 PM.
    "Nolo esse salus sine vobis ...” —St. Augustine

Thanks

The same thing happened to my Jinhao x750, though that's a snap cap and not a screw cap.

Thanks

I EDed the brown one and the clear one, and sure 'nuff, there is a bit of seepage around the barrel plug of the brown one. Looks like I'm gonna decant the ink and reinstall the converter. All three that I have inked so far write very well, but I do wish that the nibs were a true F.
    In my mug: Sailor 21 P-P M, Cross Solo M, Online Calligraphy, Monteverde Invincia F, Hero 359 M, Jinhao X450 M, Levenger T-W M, Jinhao 159 , Platinum Balance F, TWSBI Classic 1.1, Platinum Preppy 0.3 F, 7 Pilot Varsities, Speedball penholder, TWSBI 580 USA EF, Pilot MR, Ahab 1.1, another Preppy 0.3, Preppy EF 0.2, ASA Sniper F, Click Majestic F, Kaweco Sport M, Pilot Prera F, Baoer 79 M, Hero 616 M, Jinhao X750

31 and counting

DaveBj

Thanks

I love Jinhao pens in general. The 992 is next in line for me to get.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Spideysgirl For This Useful Post:

beta10 (June 29th, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

I saw a red one on Instagram yesterday. It sheared at the section. It was as clean break and "crazy glue" fixed it.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

Thanks
    Thanked 3,788 Times in 1,642 Posts

Still fiddling with the single one I opened first. It's a little better behaved with my kindest Sailor ink in it, but no comparison to the real Sailor that came from Rakuten this same week (!)
    Last edited by VertOlive; June 28th, 2017 at 09:47 PM.
    "Nolo esse salus sine vobis ...” —St. Augustine

19. The Following User Says Thank You to VertOlive For This Useful Post:

Sailor Kenshin (July 9th, 2017)

Thanks

I bought a buch of Jinhaos including three 992.
    992 is not bad but amoung the other Jinhos are very surpricing quality pens I like .
    I could not fond a way to replace the nibs of 992, but, I have altered/ replaced all the nibs of others as Jinhao nibs are usless. They are most of the time too smooth and most of them are broad medium and too wet.
    So I am very conservative about my writing not to be too wet and broad. So that's me...
    Last edited by Cyril; July 9th, 2017 at 05:55 AM.

Thanks

Update on my six -- three of them (eyedroppered) are leaking around the barrel plug. Two of them have leaked ink into the cap, and it got between the blind cap and the outer cap, very unsightly in a demo. They write well, but in the final analysis, one gets what one pays for. Don't put them in a shirt pocket without first putting them in a pocket protector.

31 and counting

DaveBj

22. The Following User Says Thank You to DaveBj For This Useful Post:

KKay (July 15th, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,427 Times in 1,716 Posts

Some drying-out/hard-start problems with mine, but that's why a shot glass filled with water is your friend. The green demo that kerploded ink all over me has been cleaned, but I'm eyeing it warily.
    My other pen is a Montblanc.

And my other blog is a tumblr!

And my latest ebook, for spooky wintery reading:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM2NGSSD

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sailor Kenshin For This Useful Post:

KKay (July 15th, 2017), TSherbs (July 9th, 2017), VertOlive (July 15th, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,189 Times in 1,419 Posts

i've got one on the way

at not two bucks, it's worth the look-see just for fun

Thanks

Generally positive from my perspective, still cheaper than a sharpie.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to RocketRyan For This Useful Post:

TSherbs (July 9th, 2017)

Thanks

I have had mine now for a couple of weeks, and no cracking seen. I can't believe how smooth this nib is for such an inexpensive pen. I ordered a fine, but it seems to write on the FM side I'd say. A wet writer as well. Can't really go wrong for a couple of $$. Good deal in my books.