Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: incongruous MB149

Thanks

Default Re: incongruous MB149

Quote Originally Posted by Pterodactylus View Post
    Some years ago I acquired on my eBay hunt a pen which was only advertised as I think with something like that: "Old FP not functional" (but in German).

The only picture was really really bad and you could not see much on it.
    But I thought it could be a 50s 1xx Montblanc, maybe even a 146.

So I bid on it and took the risk not really knowing what I will get.
    The auction price got quite high because of a second bidder (I assume he had the same guess as I had).
    Finally I won the auction, not knowing what I would really get.

It could also turned out that I paid a lot of money for nothing.

When I opened the package I saw that I got a 50s Montblanc 144 with a beautiful BB nib.
    The only beauty flaw it had was that the cap was cracked once but was repaired (but you can see that it was repaired)
    It was full of old ink.

I disassembled the whole pen (the telescopic piston is a awesome piece) cleaned and greased it reassembled it and it worked just perfectly.
    I not even needed a new seal.

This was my best pen hunt result Iˋve ever made.
    Lucky gamble Ptero!

Thanks

It is correct that French market pens should have 18 ct nibs. I have a 147 with an 18 ct nib that was a French market pen.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to WmEdwards For This Useful Post:

SIR (May 9th, 2017)

FPG Donor ♕
    Thanks

This is what I was thinking and would explain the 149 I got tonight. 90s plastic feed and brass threads but 14k 2 tone nib. I thought this one was made right as they switched the threads and feed but had some 14k 2 tone nibs left. So, this is probably one of the first 90s 149s off the line.

Thanks

Hello RayCornett, You are correct about the date of production of the 149 you describe above. The two-tone 14K nib is seen from ca.1985 (w/split ebonite feed & 2-piece barrel & plastic piston threads) through ca. 1991 (w/ first generation plastic feed & brass threads). Yours seems to be one of the last 14K models. One very interesting (to me) transitional model comes just before yours: 14K nib, split ebonite feed, and brass piston threads. I have seen several egs of this model & owned one in the early 90s, having purchased it new when Price Club was still selling 149s at rock bottom prices. Enjoy your new pen & the weekend. Best wishes, Barry

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Barry B. Gabay For This Useful Post:

BlkWhiteFilmPix (October 22nd, 2018)

Thanks

I would venture to say that these are 99.99999% of the time never fakes. Sometimes they just have repairs using a mixture of parts. Anything post 1950s celluloid Montblanc 149's will eventually have mixed era parts.

FPG Donor ♕
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Barry B. Gabay View Post
    Hello RayCornett, You are correct about the date of production of the 149 you describe above. The two-tone 14K nib is seen from ca.1985 (w/split ebonite feed & 2-piece barrel & plastic piston threads) through ca. 1991 (w/ first generation plastic feed & brass threads). Yours seems to be one of the last 14K models. One very interesting (to me) transitional model comes just before yours: 14K nib, split ebonite feed, and brass piston threads. I have seen several egs of this model & owned one in the early 90s, having purchased it new when Price Club was still selling 149s at rock bottom prices. Enjoy your new pen & the weekend. Best wishes, Barry
    It took me from Friday night to Tuesday night to get it cleaned out from the old ink left behind but now it is filled and in use. I absolutely love it more than I ever expected to.