Thread: Taroko Enigma

Thanks

Default Taroko Enigma

I received today my new Taroko Enigma notebook with 68 gram Tomoe river paper. I am very excited about it, and can hardly wait to finish my current journal...

Does anyone else have experience with this notebook? I would be glad to hear your opinions...

Thanks
    Thanked 6,714 Times in 1,973 Posts

Default Re: Taroko Enigma

I have never even heard of it.

Would you do us a big favor and post some pictures and your impression of it?
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

Thanks
    Thanked 1,579 Times in 943 Posts

I have the notebook with "Orchid Paper," but have not used it yet.
    Lady Onogaro

"Be yourself--everybody else is already taken." --Oscar Wilde

Thanks
    Thanked 3,155 Times in 1,103 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JapaG View Post
    I received today my new Taroko Enigma notebook with 68 gram Tomoe river paper. I am very excited about it, and can hardly wait to finish my current journal...

Does anyone else have experience with this notebook? I would be glad to hear your opinions...
    I have a few of the Enigma notebooks, bought direct from Steven at Taroko Shop. He is great to deal with & I received my orders very quickly.

I have v.1 - Steven has made a couple of minor changes since I bought mine. They are very well made & I like the 68gsm Tomoe. I'm not a huge fan of dot grid but the dots are light enough not to distract. The covers hold up well, although I put mine into microfibre book covers from Belle & Sofa in Japan.
    I like the index pages at the front. The binding is robust & for a notebook with so many pages it folds almost flat. It gets flatter with use so the gutter almost disappears.And of course the paper is great with FPs.

I'm sure you'll enjoy yours

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to migo984 For This Useful Post:

JapaG (May 11th, 2017), lomogeek (May 28th, 2017)

Thanks

One of the great joys of interweb conversations is the ease with which one can include a link so everyone knows what you're talking about. One of the greater frustrations is how rarely people do.

I can only assume it's this one?

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to grainweevil For This Useful Post:

penwash (May 12th, 2017), VertOlive (May 12th, 2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by grainweevil View Post
    One of the great joys of interweb conversations is the ease with which one can include a link so everyone knows what you're talking about. One of the greater frustrations is how rarely people do.

I can only assume it's this one?
    Yes, that's it. It seems that it is listed as sold out on their own website, but can still be ordered through Etsy: https://www.etsy.com/listing/2904499...omoe?ref=hp_rv

I will take some pictures once I get home today.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to JapaG For This Useful Post:

penwash (May 12th, 2017)

Thanks

I have the Orchid Paper version too and it's a very well made journal. I didn't know that it also came with 68gsm Tomoe River paper. Did you get white or ivory paper? Please post your impressions of it after you've tried it.

Lady Onogaro;

I am curious of what you think of the Orchid paper after you've given it a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Onogaro View Post
    I have the notebook with "Orchid Paper," but have not used it yet.
    Last edited by EHV; May 12th, 2017 at 04:27 AM.

Thanks

Here are some pictures that I took just now:
    DSC_0002.jpg
    The notebook came in a prestige-looking sleeve. "Premium fountain pen paper"

DSC_0009.jpg
    The cover of the notebook itself is plain blue-gray cardboard. It seems sturdy enough for use by itself, but I plan to buy a separate cover.

DSC_0004.jpg
    In the first page there is a place for name, address, and telephone number. Then there are three lined index pages.

DSC_0006.jpg
    The bulk of the notebook is made of dotted pages. The dots are gray. Once I get using the notebook, I'll be able to say whether they are obtrusive with sketches, etc... The notebook lays almost flat directly from the box (but not quite, which is why I needed my pen as a weight in many pictures... )

DSC_0007.jpg
    At the end there are two pages for ink tests. I already tested the notebook by scribbling with my Diamine Sargasso Sea. The colour does seem somewhat more vibrant than in my current, no-name copy paper notebook.

DSC_0008.jpg
    After the ink test pages there is one page with 2017 and 2018 calendars as well as an inch and a centimeter ruler. You can also see some ghosting from the ink test page on the other side here. Not too much, though, as the ghosting is mostly from the scribbling and not from the text. I believe that ghosting will not be a big issue with writing, but I'll be able to tell better later.

I have the white notebook. It was the only option in Etsy, but I would have picked that anyway. I like clean white for my journaling.

I am very pleased with the nice heft of the notebook. It seems like a premium product. I picked the Taroko Enigma because it had the 58 gram Tomoe River instead of the thinner 52 g version that most notebooks use. I wanted to have less ghosting.

Once I have used the notebook more, I'll be able to tell more. If you have any specific questions, I'll be happy to help!

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to JapaG For This Useful Post:

da vinci (May 13th, 2017), EHV (May 15th, 2017), grainweevil (May 12th, 2017), Lady Onogaro (May 12th, 2017), penwash (May 12th, 2017), Rossler (August 13th, 2017), VertOlive (May 12th, 2017)