Thread: Unknown Chinese fountain pen

Thanks

Question Unknown Chinese fountain pen

Hi guys,

This pen was given to my Mum in China back in the 1980's and it writes surprisingly well - although the fine nib is really hard it has good ink flow and no scratchiness.
    It came with the pictured convertor which just about holds - it is slightly loose in the barrel but has a 'sweet' spot where it holds well without flopping noisily about in the barrel when writing.

I have not taken it apart to see the construction of the feed - and as it works well, I don’t want to at the moment!

I was wondering if anyone here recognizes the pen or motif on the nib and could associate it with a brand perhaps?

Cheers,
    Eclectica.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks

Default Re: Unknown Chinese fountain pen

Hi Eclectica

I can't name the pen for you. In my experience Chinese pens usually have the brand emblazoned on them somewhere. It is interesting that this one doesn't.

About the converter, though. I was initially worried that if it wobbles around at all, it would one day come loose and make a mess. But then I saw it has the inner silicon? sac. So I'm guessing that it's only the metal sac protector that is loose.

This style of converter is found in my Hero and Wingsung pens (but not on any other brand of chinese pen I own). I'm not sure if that helps at all.

In my pens, the metal sac protector is glued in, but I have read that you can sometimes pull the metal cover off to fill the sac more easily. I hope it stays on for you.
    ... Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working [Pablo Picasso] ...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

The section and feed look very Hero-like but with Chinese pens, it seems everyone copies everyone. There is what looks like an "H" on the nib but it could just be stylized scroll work. I know there is a thread on FPN listing A LOT of Chinese manufacturers. The feather on the nib looks like the only clue to go on. It might be listed in that thread but I have to look for it.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

Thanks

Thanks for the replies - I wondered if it was slightly ambitious with the multitude of look-alikes out there.

The sac on the convertor connects to a white plastic section which then slips over the first bit of the feed - maybe it is time for a new convertor before any ink spills!

Interestingly, I have a Hero 704 coming soon - not that it will help make identification any easier!

Cheers!