Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shimmering Inks

Thanks

Default Shimmering Inks

I have been reluctant to try the Diamine shimmering inks. Overall I like the colors and the excellent reviews Chrissy has posted.

For those that are using the ink, have you encountered; clogging, slow starts, skipping, difficulty cleaning it from a pen?

Any opinion is welcomed.
    Last edited by southpaw52; May 13th, 2017 at 10:40 AM.

InCoWri 2018, Letter Writers Alliance Member, Postable link: www.postable.com/bradharris, postcrossing

Thanks
    Thanked 11,039 Times in 4,010 Posts

Default Re: Shimmering Inks

I think you mean "Chrissy", and you can trust her reviews. The Diamine inks seem to be pretty well-behaved, though I've only used one beyond some samples. I wouldn't use them in a sac fill pen, and probably not even a piston, but relegate them to pens using a converter that are easily flushed out. The inks don't seem to be clog hazards, but often it is difficult to get all the little bits of glitter out, so a pen that is easy to flush, scrub, or ultrasonic is probably a good home. Also, the characteristics will show more in a wet/wider nib - don't expect a lot of sparkle if you use an EF nib.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (May 13th, 2017), Marsilius (August 14th, 2020), southpaw52 (May 15th, 2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    I think you mean "Chrissy", and you can trust her reviews. The Diamine inks seem to be pretty well-behaved, though I've only used one beyond some samples. I wouldn't use them in a sac fill pen, and probably not even a piston, but relegate them to pens using a converter that are easily flushed out. The inks don't seem to be clog hazards, but often it is difficult to get all the little bits of glitter out, so a pen that is easy to flush, scrub, or ultrasonic is probably a good home. Also, the characteristics will show more in a wet/wider nib - don't expect a lot of sparkle if you use an EF nib.
    Thank you for the correction. Thank you for the information.

InCoWri 2018, Letter Writers Alliance Member, Postable link: www.postable.com/bradharris, postcrossing

Thanks
    Thanked 4,804 Times in 1,697 Posts

Yeah, they are nice effect inks, but all lack consistency in the shimmering particle density.
    This is true for both shimmering brands, Herbin and Diamine.

When you start the particle density is very high, but quite soon the rate drops and if you continuously write more than a page without stopping almost no particles will find their way to the paper anymore.

As said, nice effect inks for a few words or at most sentences but no consistency in longer writing sessions.

I observed also some hard starts, but that depends on the pen.
    In general i would use it in wide, wet pens as Jon said.

They perform quite good in Pilot Parallel Pens (but show me the ink which do not perform well in these pens, they write with almost everything that is liquid)
    Last edited by Pterodactylus; May 13th, 2017 at 10:51 AM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Pterodactylus For This Useful Post:

southpaw52 (May 15th, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,361 Times in 3,977 Posts

I tend to use them in wetter writing pens on smooth paper as that's when they seem to perform well and look their best. I only use them in pens I know I can clean out completely.

Before filling the pen I shake the bottle very well, putting it upside down if necessary while I uncap the pen and remove the barrel, then at the last possible moment, I turn the bottle the right way up, remove the cap, and fill the pen as quickly as possible. I draw ink up into the converter, empty it again and fill it up again. That way I have a converter full of ink and particles.

When I'm writing I regularly shake the pen a little. Not enough to throw ink everywhere, but I just tilt it backwards and forwards to make sure I move the particles in the converter. If you think about it, as you write, the particles in the converter will settle down into the bottom of the converter, and will get concentrated into the feed. So tilting the pen backwards and forwards occasionally, helps to stir up the particles into the ink.

I'm more careful about the length of time I leave shimmer ink in my pens, although I have thoroughly tested Diamine Shimmer inks by leaving them in pens for several weeks. I even went on holiday last year and left some pens filled with them. But I'm also OCD about regularly cleaning out my pens thoroughly. They aren't that hard to clean out. I should think about the same as IG inks. Although I never use IG inks nowadays. I've been there and done that.

At least they don't stain converters. I've also filled cartridges with Diamine Shimmer inks, and they work quite well too.

I don't think you will get a great effect if you're using an EF nib either.
    Last edited by Chrissy; May 13th, 2017 at 04:03 PM.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Detman101 (August 25th, 2020), Marsilius (August 14th, 2020), southpaw52 (May 15th, 2017)

Thanks

Like Chrissy, I shake the bottle before inking up a pen, to make sure the glitter is well mixed in the ink. Then once inked, I'll mix the ink by rocking the pen back and forth and swirling it around so it is nicely mixed up for writing. I haven't had any problems with clogs or staining with either of the 1670 or Diamine Shimmer inks.

I only use the glitter inks in my TWSBI 580 though, as I can easily completely disassemble it if needed. Mine has a M nib, and I've adjusted it to be a pretty wet writer, so it really brings out the glitter and sheen in the inks, especially on Tomoe River paper. If I completely fill the pen, it is usually a month to two months before I write it dry, but I haven't had any issues.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to sgtstretch For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 10,361 Times in 3,977 Posts

I almost bought a TWSBI 580 but changed my mind about it. Perhaps I missed out on having a piston filler that I could clean easily.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Chrissy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,155 Times in 1,103 Posts

I don't & wouldn't ever use these inks because a) really dislike the look & it's irritating to read b) I've seen pens clogged with the glitter particulates, even "easy clean" pens & c) too much fuss agitating the pen as I write.
    But as the saying goes "different strokes........." & there's no denying they appeal to some.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to migo984 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 11,039 Times in 4,010 Posts

While I only have a couple of these and they are pretty much relegated to greeting card and signage-type use, I don't mind looking out at the world beyond myself. It is remarkable how large a part of the ink business it is today, to have elements of the ink that stand out: sparkle, sheen, shimmer, color-change. The youngest element of the pen world simply eat this stuff up. It may be a passing phase, but there is absolutely a market for it, and more power to them.

I mean, after all, *I* don't have to clean their pens!
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Whenever I get inks from Diamine to test, review etc, I always use Lamy Vista/Safari pens for the dip tests. I'll fill the converter for long-term observations. However, I used a Sailor Sapporo for the shimmering ones, simply because it's a converter filler and I can take the nib apart for a thorough clean.
    It is almost not necessary with the shimmering inks but I've done it as a matter of course. The Sailor has a 'Broad' nib which I slightly altered to write a little thinner, and I think that a wider nib in general gives a better 'particle' result with these inks. All my regular nibs are F or EF except for some of the Sailors, which are M.
    The Good Captain
    (Gaston F Limoges)
    "Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

18. The Following User Says Thank You to The Good Captain For This Useful Post:

Thanks

They are pretty well behaved, as are all the diamine inks I have tried.
    A few could actually be used for every day use, some I have found a bit too lively for work, magenta flash springs to mind.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to RocketRyan For This Useful Post:

Thanks

I've been using them with brushes. I am in the same boat at Migo on points B and C. Unless I'm fiddling with cards, I wouldn't want to write with those inks.

Thanks

I have to agree with the majority of comments here. I have two bottles that get very little use, and only for "fun" writing or cards... at MOST a postcard.
    They are pretty, they add a little "pop" to something, but not great as general writing ink. When I write, i want to write, I don't want to spend half my time fiddling with the pen to make the ink look fancy.

Everyone has their own opinion, and none are wrong as they are only "opinions"... but mine is that I would only buy them if you have a regular use for them.
    Sam O

"A fountain pen with a bad nib is like a Ferrari with a flat tyre..." - Brian Gray, Edison pens

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Sammyo For This Useful Post:

Detman101 (August 25th, 2020)

Thanks

Some of my recent outgoing letters have had the envelopes addressed with Purple Pazzazz in a Lamy Safari.

Golden Sands clogged up a wee bit in a cheap Jinhao, but at the time, I didn't realise how fine the nib was on that pen - perhaps that didn't help things.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    Also, the characteristics will show more in a wet/wider nib - don't expect a lot of sparkle if you use an EF nib.
    Precisely what happened to me.
    Waste of a full bottle of "Diamine - Golden Ivy"
    Will probably sell it.

Thanks

I use a couple of the Diamine ones and like them...in flex, broad or stub nibs and for limited applications. They are fun but the need to regularly agitate (I cap and move the pen back and forth vertically and horizontally) or a regular basis while writing keeps me from using them for regular writing.

Haven't had problems with clogging but if you are real picky when you change inks in a pen you better have a pen that can be fully disassembled to clean. Even then, you are likely to find some particles appear for quite a while (possibly multiple refills) before they completely disappear.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to tde44 For This Useful Post:

Detman101 (September 1st, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

This necro-thread-revival will serve me, too.

I just received gratis a 25ml bottle of Manuscript brand Ocean Wave (blue?) shimmer ink, which has a little tag attached that warns it is suitable for dip pens, air brush and "for most fountain pens however regular cleaning of the fountain pen is advised for continuous use." Has anyone experience with Manuscript shimmer ink that they'd like to share? I plan to fill a Pelikan M4xx or M2xx that I use at Christmas for my Diamine shimmer inks because they are easy to flush thoroughly with my bulb syringe.

I see it's made in Bridgnorth, Salop through which I used to commute when I lived just north in Market Drayton. I don't recall any ink manufacturers there in the mid '70s. I'm just looking at their website now.

IMG_3351.jpeg
    Last edited by FredRydr; August 15th, 2020 at 08:54 AM.

Thanks

Manuscript Pens are often sold through WH Smiths and some budget stationers, they have a popular line in calligraphy sets.

https://www.whsmith.co.uk/products/m...180011851.html

I havent seen their inks on sale but I would think that they could be made by Diamine and rebottled for Manuscript.
    Last edited by Johnny_S; August 15th, 2020 at 09:55 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,390 Times in 2,505 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_S View Post
    ...I would think that they could be made by Diamine and rebottled for Manuscript.
    Check out the shape of their larger bottles. Ignoring the labels, do they look familiar?

Screen Shot 2020-08-15 at 122202PM.jpg

Thanks

Certainly, similar to many inc. the 30 ml ink and bottle made by Diamine for Conway Stewart and also Pelikan, FC, especially the cap. all made perhaps by some European glass maker.