Thread: I restored my first two vintage pens

Thanks

Default I restored my first two vintage pens

I got my sac order in today and I spent some time this evening installing sacs and smoothing the nibs a bit.
    Fountain pen restoration really isn't that hard to do.

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Spideysgirl For This Useful Post:

bill.davis (May 15th, 2017), farmdogfan (May 17th, 2017), FredRydr (May 21st, 2017), Jon Szanto (May 15th, 2017), penwash (May 16th, 2017), Sailor Kenshin (May 16th, 2017), Sammyo (May 15th, 2017), Vespagirl (May 15th, 2017)

Thanks

Default Re: I restored my first two vintage pens

I did my first recently and have several more underway. Depends on the pen though. Lever-fillers are easy. Others not so much. Lots to learn!

Thanks
    Thanked 11,042 Times in 4,011 Posts

When it isn't too tough and it all goes well, a renewed pen is one of the best pleasures I've come across in my adult life. You really do bring it back from the dead and that is deeply satisfying.

Then there are the pens that are intergalactic pains-in-the-ass, the ones that make you want to sit down and cry. This is when you reach for more patience, do a little more thought and study, and come back to them some later time. With perseverence, you'll replicate that sweet feeling again.

Congrats on your new skill!
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Hawk (May 16th, 2017), penwash (May 16th, 2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Spideysgirl View Post
    I got my sac order in today and I spent some time this evening installing sacs and smoothing the nibs a bit.
    Now you have opened a new world of much less expensive pens on eBay.

(but be careful you don't spend more than the pen's worth tracking down parts for it.)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to gbryal For This Useful Post:

penwash (May 16th, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,703 Times in 1,972 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Spideysgirl View Post
    Congrats! Enjoy the rewarding feeling.

Some fountain pen restoration isn't that hard to do. Some others will test your patience and grit; just preparing you for what may come next
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

Thanks

if only it was just refitting a sac and tweaking the nib - wouldn't pen restoration be a doddle - unfortunately it's not. It's also about knowing which models have left hand threads - how hot you can go with some pens, re-fitting seals, re-fitting pressure bars from the rear end because the sac fills the barrel to capacity, trying to budge nuts high up in the top end of some caps, removing pump bushes etc. etc. etc.

But then would you want your life to be too easy ..........nah.....

But well done for making a start - big sense of satisfaction when you do a repair and it works.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to PaulS For This Useful Post:

penwash (May 16th, 2017)

Thanks

The tuition for learning how to repair/restore pens is to damage or destroy the pen you are working on.
    So, practice on cheap junkers before you attempt on a more expensive/good pen.

Know when a repair it beyond your limits and when to punt the job to a pen tech.
    While you have to push your limits to learn, recognize that when you are pushing your limits, you are also going beyond them.

When you damage a pen, do not throw it away. Put it into a recycle box, where you can scavenge parts from, to save another pen.

gud luk in your new journey down another rabbit hole
    San Francisco Pen Show 2017, August 25-27, 2017, Redwood City, California
    www.SFPenShow.com

Thanks

Lessons learned from tinkering for a year or two:

- practice on 'easy' and inexpensive lever fillers and button fillers (first), safeties (next) and piston fillers (penultimate)... still haven't got round to the specific needs of Inkvues or Vacumatics
    - as ac12 says, keeps a parts box, and be willing to pick up damaged pens for parts when you see them (as long as the seller doesn't want more for the pen than a pristine, restored one - which is sometimes the case)
    - if a section sticks, and you're getting short of temper, PUT THE PEN AWAY and come back some other time
    - keep a journal of your repairs and what you learned each time,
    - and take photos even if it's just on your smartphone or tablet so you can look back and see what you did.

Good luck. There's no feeling as good as having found what looks like a junker and ended up with a beautiful oooooh-shiny pen that writes nicely.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to amk For This Useful Post:

JapaG (May 17th, 2017)