Thread: Ink Storage

Thanks

Default Ink Storage

I have been out of the fountain pen loop for a while and just purchased an eyedropper bottle of Noodler's Heart of Darkness. I don't have any empty ink bottles in which to store some for FP filling and wonder if storing ink in an orange plastic pill bottle (the kind that prescriptions come in) would be okay? My other option is to spill out a bottle of ink I really don't care for (I was going to add some black to change it to a darker shade) but if the plastic is not a good choice, I will spill out of the ink I don't like.

Thanks

Thanks

Default Re: Ink Storage

I would hesitate to use the plastic pill bottle. Not because it's plastic, but because of the seal. It will evaporate much quicker out of the pill bottle than out of the original bottle. You might have better luck with small spice jars or anything designed to hold fluids

Just make sure you clean it out really well before pouring in the ink. I don't want you ruining either the ink or the pen that ink ends up in if it starts to mold.

Thanks

Those little Nalgene bottles would work great!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KKay View Post
    Oooh... good call! The bottles that Blackstone uses look like the little Nalgene bottles.

Another option is to buy an empty bottle from Goulet or Anderson if you're looking to buy other stuff as well.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to naimitsu For This Useful Post:

KKay (May 17th, 2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by naimitsu View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by KKay View Post
    Oooh... good call! The bottles that Blackstone uses look like the little Nalgene bottles.

Another option is to buy an empty bottle from Goulet or Anderson if you're looking to buy other stuff as well.
    We also have 50-some of the drams from the bourbon and whiskey advent calendars. I don't think you need all of them for mixing paints.
    Last edited by Scooby921; May 17th, 2017 at 01:00 PM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TooLoose View Post
    I have been out of the fountain pen loop for a while and just purchased an eyedropper bottle of Noodler's Heart of Darkness. I don't have any empty ink bottles in which to store some for FP filling and wonder if storing ink in an orange plastic pill bottle (the kind that prescriptions come in) would be okay? My other option is to spill out a bottle of ink I really don't care for (I was going to add some black to change it to a darker shade) but if the plastic is not a good choice, I will spill out of the ink I don't like.

Thanks
    Where in metro Detroit are you? If you're near Clarkston or Auburn Hills I'm happy to hand you a few small bottles. Two years of whiskey advent calendars from Master of Malt / Drinks by the Dram has left me with quite a few empty 30mL bottles.
    Last edited by Scooby921; May 17th, 2017 at 01:00 PM.

Thanks

I have a pill bottle with ink in it for a year + with no obvious signs of evaporation. Since this thread started, I have taken that bottle and inverted it. I will run this test over the next 5 days to see if it leaks.
    I have a small plastic Diamene bottle that shows no evidence of deterioration.
    That is my two cents.
    We have met the enemy and he is us.
    -Pogo