Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ariel Kullock

Thanks
    Thanked 6,427 Times in 2,519 Posts

Default Ariel Kullock

In the Classified, it was posted that...

Quote Originally Posted by Empty_of_Clouds View Post
    ...As I understand it, Arial Kullock has stopped making any more pens....
    This comes as quite a surprise. He seemed quite pen-oriented when I last saw Ariel. His eBay store is certainly current. I'd like more specific information on this, as I expect Ariel would, too.

Fred
    Last edited by FredRydr; May 20th, 2017 at 03:41 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,529 Times in 1,299 Posts

Default Re: Ariel Kullock

If this information is not correct and you are certain of it (or can provide other surety) then I will change the wording to reflect this.

This is the statement made by PenPartStore on eBay - I am given to understand that they are the main outlet for Ariel Kullock merchandise (again correct me if this is an error).

Since Ariel Kullock production of customized pen parts stopped in 2015 , these parts became scarce and will be very valuable in a near future. We are selling all the remaining stock that we have. We hope you enjoy it! They became collectable pieces since there will be no more new customized pen parts made by Mr. Kullock in different colors and patterns.

EDIT: I didn't know Kullock had his own eBay site. I've just checked and it has no mention of him stopping production. So now I am confused. Are penpartstore deliberately misleading with their statement, or not? I will remove the statement from my listing until such a time as clarification is provided.

Thanks Fred for bringing my attention to this.
    Last edited by Empty_of_Clouds; May 20th, 2017 at 04:13 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,067 Times in 4,019 Posts

I know none of the particulars of this except for what I am reading in this thread. It would be easy enough to find out. However, I'm wondering if there isn't something in the detais...

The item that EoC cited says that he stopped production of "customized pen parts". EoC mentions it in terms of "stopped making any more pens".

I actually purchased a barrel and hood of his for a 51, so I know that there were 'parts' available, as opposed to complete pens. I have a friend who just purchased a Kullock pen at the LA show. I think it is within reason that maybe Ariel is focusing on making complete pens only and not making up parts for conversions of old pens? In this way, the above scenarios would start to make sense.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (May 21st, 2017), Sammyo (May 21st, 2017)

Thanks

From what I had read the parts are only available until they're sold, and that no more are being made. It could well be that Ariel Kullock is no longer making parts for sale but continues to make complete pens. As this is unclear to me - now that I have done a bit of reading around rather than relying on the statement of one eBay seller - I have removed that statement from my classified.

Edit: I get the slightly uneasy feeling that I am being tarred for making the statement in the classified. Yes, I believed that Kullock pens/parts were no longer being made and thus would become harder to find. And yes, I made the statement to make the sale attractive. As it is people may think I am trying to drive the price up, however, I am selling the pen at a fixed price below what I paid for it. Anyway, the statement is removed but the price remains the same.

As with the other thread about courtesy on the board, I think in retrospect this issue could have been brought to my attention back channel, and I could have removed the statement without the public embarrassment.
    Last edited by Empty_of_Clouds; May 20th, 2017 at 05:23 PM.

Thanks

Edit: I get the slightly uneasy feeling that I am being tarred for making the statement in the classified. Yes, I believed that Kullock pens/parts were no longer being made and thus would become harder to find. And yes, I made the statement to make the sale attractive. As it is people may think I am trying to drive the price up, however, I am selling the pen at a fixed price below what I paid for it. Anyway, the statement is removed but the price remains the same.

As with the other thread about courtesy on the board, I think in retrospect this issue could have been brought to my attention back channel, and I could have removed the statement without the public embarrassment.
    Come on!!! FFS, you are among friends! We're all just trying to figure this out, too, nothing embarrassing about that. If it went back-channel *I* would have never seen it, and maybe that was an important distinction to be made.

Fred just asked a question. I'm interested, too, because I have seen a lot of his work and enjoy it. Let's not blow this out of proportion - we are all, in a friendly manner, just trying to figure out what's up with one of our pen makers. I don't think it has to be a slam on your sale or anything, let's just have it be friends looking out for each other.
    "When Men differ in Opinion, both Sides ought equally to have the Advantage of being heard by the Publick;
    and that when Truth and Error have fair Play, the former is always an overmatch for the latter."

~ Benjamin Franklin

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jon Szanto For This Useful Post:

dneal (May 22nd, 2017), Dreck (May 30th, 2017)

Thanks

His display at Ohio did not look like the product of someone who hadn't been making pens since 2015.

As has been discussed in netiquette threads in FPGeeks, issues that question claims made in classified ads should be raised in a relevant subform and not in the seller's thread. Here, a general assertion that Ariel is out of business (as opposed to specifics pertaining only to the item for sale) was made and I question that. So, I posted this thread here to invite information from others who may have recent first-hand information. I like Ariel, and it troubles me to read what I suspect are false claims about him or his business, especially as part of an effort to sell something.

Fred

9. The Following User Says Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

StrongerLove (May 21st, 2017)

Thanks

Fred, I made no false claims. To make a false claim I would have to know that it was false before making it. I didn't know that it was false, and having being apprised of the situation I moved to change the statement immediately. As far as I was aware the statement from penpartstore was true. Now what you are saying, based on your personal relationship with Ariel Kullock, raises questions about why the ebay seller is making that claim.

For my part my mistake was in not checking the background more thoroughly.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,473 Times in 4,007 Posts

IMHO Fred didn't do or say anything that was remotely unreasonable. I don't think it's entirely appropriate to request that relevant queries only be discussed back-channel when many members might be interested in learning about them.

EOC I don't think anyone said anything to publicly embarrass you. It was just a query is all. No-one is 'tarring' you.

Thanks

Sure felt like it to me, otherwise why quote me?

I'm trying to sell off my remaining pens. I didn't even know that the Kullock statement might not have been true (based on what I had read) or I wouldn't have said it. I get the sense that nobody believes that though.

I have deleted the classified.
    Last edited by Empty_of_Clouds; May 21st, 2017 at 03:02 AM.

Thanks

Empty of Clouds, don't take it personally. There's no reason to delete the entirety of your classified listing.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    ...I'm wondering if there isn't something in the detais... The item that EoC cited says that he stopped production of "customized pen parts". EoC mentions it in terms of "stopped making any more pens"....
    Jon, your comment reminds me of an analogous circumstance that lead to a famous quote. While in London in the best of health, Mark Twain was informed of the report in New York that he was dying in poverty in London. He said,

I can understand perfectly how the report of my illness got about, I have even heard on good authority that I was dead. James Ross Clemens, a cousin of mine, was seriously ill two or three weeks ago in London, but is well now. The report of my illness grew out of his illness. The report of my death was an exaggeration."

Fred
    Last edited by FredRydr; May 21st, 2017 at 03:52 AM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (May 21st, 2017)

Thanks

I did take it personally, and the way the query was couched looked like an accusation.

Thanks

oh, it's "EOC-expressing-his-dissatisfaction-and-getting-rid-of-all-his-pens-and-leaving-the-hobby" o'clock again I see.

What is it this time? Did that Waterman not work out? You've expressed your dislike of the Parker 51 before why'd you buy another? Why are you getting rid of this one? It looks stellar.

I've never seen someone with such a tortured relationship to this pen thing. I'll admit that last eBay adventure was a screwing but your level of disappointment, dissatisfaction and exasperation is off the charts. Do you not ever find any joy in any of your pens?

I'm doing up tomorrow's lecture notes with a sweet old Sheaffer Statesman II lever filler with nice old boring Pilot Blue and enjoying the living fuck out of it. I wish I could see you get some measure of satisfaction in this game. Your relationship to this pen thing just baffles me.

What would make you happy?
    Last edited by stub; May 21st, 2017 at 06:05 AM. Reason: Flying monkeys

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stub For This Useful Post:

dneal (May 22nd, 2017), Dreck (May 30th, 2017), StrongerLove (May 21st, 2017)

Thanks

I did take it personally, and the way the query was couched looked like an accusation.
    Oh, brother! Clearly you want a thread about yourself rather than the truth of your assertion that Ariel Kullock no longer makes pens. Gimme a break. I'm not taking the bait.

Fred

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

Chrissy (May 21st, 2017), Dreck (May 30th, 2017), StrongerLove (May 21st, 2017)

Thanks

For Kullock fans, here's a website titled Coming Soon with an email address, too.

Fred

21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FredRydr For This Useful Post:

amk (May 22nd, 2017), Chrissy (May 21st, 2017), fountainpenkid (May 21st, 2017), Hawk (May 22nd, 2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by stub View Post
    oh, it's "EOC-expressing-his-dissatisfaction-and-getting-rid-of-all-his-pens-and-leaving-the-hobby" o'clock again I see.

What is it this time? Did that Waterman not work out? You've expressed your dislike of the Parker 51 before why'd you buy another? Why are you getting rid of this one? It looks stellar.

I've never seen someone with such a tortured relationship to this pen thing. I'll admit that last eBay adventure was a screwing but your level of disappointment, dissatisfaction and exasperation is off the charts. Do you not ever find any joy in any of your pens?

I'm doing up tomorrow's lecture notes with a sweet old Sheaffer Statesman II lever filler with nice old boring Pilot Blue and enjoying the living fuck out of it. I wish I could see you get some measure of satisfaction in this game. Your relationship to this pen thing just baffles me.

What would make you happy?
    I've not expressed my dissatisfaction of any pens in this thread. I bought this 51 because I was interested in the material. Now I am selling it, nothing more. I've got a core of pens that I use daily, the rest are being sold. I enjoy the ones I'm keeping immensely.

What would make me slightly happier is if you made the effort to read rather than assume.

Edit: The Waterman was grossly misrepresented by the buyer with respect to its flexibility, but I actually really like the way it writes. So, until I find a more flexible version, I am perfectly happy with this one.

And Fred, I am interested in the truth of the claim, but the claim does not come from me. Perhaps you should turn your attention to the place where I got it from, which I have mentioned in this thread. I had reason to believe that this particular eBay seller was the main outlet for Kullock pens/parts. Why then are they making this statement?
    Last edited by Empty_of_Clouds; May 21st, 2017 at 12:19 PM.

Thanks

What would make me slightly happier is if you made the effort to read rather than assume.
    Sorry I misinterpreted the meaning of "sell of my remaining pens" as another of your "I'm giving up on it all" moments. Your MO encourages such readings even you must admit.

Perhaps better to just not read you at all. I have enough drama in my life. Best of luck. Not sure why you'd sell the pen having just bought it if you were not dissatisfied. But ...

24. The Following User Says Thank You to stub For This Useful Post:

Dreck (May 30th, 2017)

Thanks

I had written elsewhere about the idea of buying to try and selling on at a minimal loss if a pen wasn't suitable for me. The loss would be accepted as a kind of 'rental' fee, if you like. This is the only reasonable way I can try stuff out considering my geographical position, as I am sure you can appreciate. My apologies if I haven't written things more clearly, writing is not a strong point for me.

Thanks

I'm really glad FredRydr brought up the issue, as I'd read the ad and was quite sad to think Ariel Kullock was leaving the business. Glad to find out it's not true!

Whatever the ins and outs of the etiquette we need to make sure we do clarify these things - Kullock presumably makes a living out of pens, it's easy to damage someone's business on a forum without meaning to.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 786 Posts

I didn't even know that the Kullock statement might not have been true (based on what I had read) or I wouldn't have said it. I get the sense that nobody believes that though.
    I believe it.
    --
    Mike

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mhosea View Post
    I didn't even know that the Kullock statement might not have been true (based on what I had read) or I wouldn't have said it. I get the sense that nobody believes that though.
    I believe it.
    So do I. I don't think you included that information in a malicious manner, but that it was simply ill-advised. Something for all of us to learn in this.

~ Benjamin Franklin