Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Parker 51 replacement parts

Thanks

Default Parker 51 replacement parts

I have my dad's Parker 51 Fighter. It's amazing, but, being my dad, the nib section is too small (Demi rather than regular). Knowing him, he probably traded somebody something for the pen or parts and he kept it working with tape on the threads.

I know I can do the same, but I would like to get the pen fully up and running. I had hoped to be able to find replacement parts at a reasonable price since the pen is so popular, but it hasn't happened yet. Now I'm wondering if there are other options.

Does anyone have suggestions as to where I can look for parts at a reasonable price? Is a pen show the best place? I'm. It too far from Dallas. As an alternative, can the nib/section/hood from a 45 or 21 be used? Finally, if I do get this fixed, anyone know where I might find a Demi barrel (that is low on the priority list).

Thank you all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

Default Re: Parker 51 replacement parts

Parker51.com is a source for parts.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 6,731 Times in 1,976 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Vespagirl View Post
    Is a pen show the best place? I'm. It too far from Dallas. As an alternative, can the nib/section/hood from a 45 or 21 be used? Finally, if I do get this fixed, anyone know where I might find a Demi barrel (that is low on the priority list).
    How about telling us what city do you live in? Dallas Pen Show is only one of 14 of them this year, maybe there's one near where you live.

Parker 51 parts are not interchangeable with 21 not to mention 45.
    - Will
    Unique and restored vintage pens: Redeem Pens

Thanks

Penwash, thank you for letting me know about the 21 and 45; it was worth a shot.

I'm in San Antonio. I'll be in Little Rock in a couple of weeks as well as Austin and El Paso this summer, it that helps. I don't know if any pen shows in those area before Dallas, though. I considered going to the Little Rock show, but the timing wasn't good.

Thanks

If I had a 51 Flighter with a demi section, I would find the least expensive black 51 I could find that works, and I would use the section in the Flighter. It should be a black section. Make sure you get an aerometric pen if you follow this path.

Teflon tape (plumbing tape) can be used to shim the demi threads. I have done this briefly, but the pen repair gurus will frown upon this practice.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pajaro View Post
    If I had a 51 Flighter with a demi section, I would find the least expensive black 51 I could find that works, and I would use the section in the Flighter. It should be a black section. Make sure you get an aerometric pen if you follow this path.
    That is what I'm hoping you all can help me locate

Thanks

Teflon tape (plumbing tape) can be used to shim the demi threads. I have done this briefly, but the pen repair gurus will frown upon this practice.
    NOT the Mark III UK pen, as the hood has a different thread than the US pens.

Should use section sealant or shellac to seal the hood to the connector.
    Though I have not tried to put a demi hood on a standard 51.
    San Francisco Pen Show 2017, August 25-27, 2017, Redwood City, California
    www.SFPenShow.com

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ac12 View Post

NOT the Mark III UK pen, as the hood has a different thread than the US pens.

Should use section sealant or shellac to seal the hood to the connector.
    Though I have not tried to put a demi hood on a standard 51.
    My understanding of the original post is that the poster has a section, not just a hood. The demi section is too small to fit into a standard barrel, but I have actually used a couple of winds of teflon tape to shim the demi section and it will then thread into a standard barrel. It's a workaround, but probably not a great workaround. Probably not as likely to crack a Flighter barrel as it might be likely to crack a standard Lucite barrel. Mark III isn't even in the equation.

Finding a black donor pen on ebay is probably the cheapest solution. Pen show retailers will likely want a good deal more.

I would just get the best black 51 you can find for the price, unscrew the section from the black pen, and then screw the section into the flighter. The black pen must be a pen with the rounded barrel end, not the squared off later Mark III pen. The flighter had a black hood, so if you were to buy some other color, it wouldn't look like the original.

Thanks

Wow,

Vespagirl - some seriously good advice offered.

Particularly from pajaro

As I new here I wondered if I had arrived at the right spot.
    It most evidently I have.

Thanks

Thank you all for the advice. It will be a while. But I'll let you know how things turn out.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,116 Times in 576 Posts

Vespa needs a full size Aero filled guts with a black hood and a barrel for a demi sized pen. What is not known for sure is if the flighter barrel (full size) has a full size cap. If so, Vespa needs a demi cap.

In summary a demi cap and barrel (color unknown) and the rest of a black Aero pen.

Not a difficult order to fill.

Thanks

@pajaro
    I think that is the problem, is it the hood or the connector? We have word confusion. I think we need a pix to see what the problem is.
    San Francisco Pen Show 2017, August 25-27, 2017, Redwood City, California
    www.SFPenShow.com

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ac12 View Post
    @pajaro
    I think that is the problem, is it the hood or the connector? We have word confusion. I think we need a pix to see what the problem is.
    I can send photos but there is not much to see. Basically, I can put the section (with nib and sack) strait out of the barrel without unscrewing. There isn't really any visible damage.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,116 Times in 576 Posts

I have an idea. Put the entire lot of parts in a box and mail it to AC12 and I'll sort it out with him and he will give you the possibles to chose from.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Farmboy For This Useful Post:

Wade (May 24th, 2017)

Thanks

I had this situation years ago. I bought a 51 in midnight blue that came with a midnight blue hood, demi, on a demi section. I used teflon tape to shim the demi section threads so it would thread into the full sized barrel. Do you understand so far?

I then bought a midnight blue pen with a messed up cap and a nice section. This became a donor pen. I unscrewed the section from this donor pen and used in the original midnight blue pen. I had about $40 in the two pens back then. Now, I hope the experts get it. The demi section in the OP's pen is a unit that can be left out of the equation. Just buy.a black 51 aerometric filler pen cheap and take it's section and screw it into the Flighter barrel. Not rocket science.

Thanks

I had this situation years ago. I bought a 51 in midnight blue that came with a midnight blue hood, demi, on a demi section. I used teflon tape to shim the demi section threads so it would thread into the full sized barrel. Do you understand so far?

I then bought a midnight blue pen with a messed up cap and a nice section. This became a donor pen. I unscrewed the section from this donor pen and used in the original midnight blue pen. I had about $40 in the two pens back then. Now, I hope the experts get it. The demi section in the OP's pen is a unit that can be left out of the equation. Just buy.a black 51 aerometric filler pen cheap and take it's section and screw it into the Flighter barrel. Not rocket science.
    Great idea, I just haven't been able to find one cheap. This actually has been my plan for the past 6 months.

Any suggestions on where I can find one cheap?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Vespagirl View Post

Great idea, I just haven't been able to find one cheap. This actually has been my plan for the past 6 months.

Any suggestions on where I can find one cheap?

I have a different question but somewhat similar, will a parker 61 cap fit in a 51? You see i just bought a parker 51/21 (a franken pen, it has a 51 aerometric sac with a 21 cap and what i might guess would be a 21 body, i havent taken it apart yet as im quite scared of it braking on me).

Thanks

61 cap will not fit a 51. Also, I wonder if your 21 is a Super 21. The look very similar to the late model 51's and the 51 special.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Thanks

So I tried my 61 caps on two of my 51 vacs, it will go on it, but definitely doesn't sit right or go very far down.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk