Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Where to buy Pilot pens from Japan?

Thanks

Default Re: Where to buy Pilot pens from Japan?

Quote Originally Posted by C40 View Post
    Hello folks. I've been wanting a translucent Custom 823 for quite a while now. I have a wonderful 823 in Amber with a fine nib, and I'd like to get a translucent 823 and make the nib into an italic.
    A Japanese F nib made into an italic is not worth the trouble imo. You barely see the line varying and the pen would be paper grabby and have a small sweet spot. .01x prettier line. 100X harder to use. Western F italic nibs are already much wider than what you would see by turning a Japanese B into an italic. I have Italic sets from Pelikan and Sheaffer and the F italic there is already wider than the B Jowo nibs turned into Italics I have from named grinders. I have a Broad Italic (Masutama grind, pretty sharp, he even grinds dow the top of the nib) in my hand and the F italic from my Sheaffer is actual a touch wider.

YMMV but a Japanese F turning into an italic is just folly imo.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to stub For This Useful Post:

Gobblecup (May 9th, 2018)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by eljefe145 View Post
    Hello folks. I've been wanting a translucent Custom 823 for quite a while now. I have a wonderful 823 in Amber with a fine nib, and I'd like to get a translucent 823 and make the nib into an italic.

I believe you used to be able to buy them at a pretty good price on Engeika, but it appears they no longer sell Pilot pens. Are there places one can currently buy them at a good price?
    You can still buy Pilot pens from Engeika. I ordered one a couple days ago. He did not have exactly what I wanted in stock, but said he can get it directly from Pilot in 3 to 5 business days.

http://www.engeika.com/product-list/192
    Have you bought from Gouletpens before? How do they compare? Stock, service quality and so on

Thanks

I highly suggest the Tokyo Pen Shop Quill. They only sell Pilot, but can get items that are not available outside of Japan. They are very friendly and the packaging is superb. It generally takes a while to get items from them, but it is very worth the wait.
    http://www.japanshop-quill.com

Thanks

I bought mine from Morita in Osaka:
    http://www.morita.ne.jp/products/lis...tegory_id=3427
    They do not ship outside Japan, and I got mine when a family member went to the store while she was visiting Osaka. It took some effort, but (for me at least) worth the effort. Beware they only accept cash in the store. I think they do mail order, but in Japan only, so this may not help you.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aaronp View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by eljefe145 View Post

I believe you used to be able to buy them at a pretty good price on Engeika, but it appears they no longer sell Pilot pens. Are there places one can currently buy them at a good price?
    You can still buy Pilot pens from Engeika. I ordered one a couple days ago. He did not have exactly what I wanted in stock, but said he can get it directly from Pilot in 3 to 5 business days.

http://www.engeika.com/product-list/192
    Have you bought from Gouletpens before? How do they compare? Stock, service quality and so on
    I have purchased quite a few things from Goulet Pens. They have a great selection of pens, ink and paper. What sets them apart, though, is their customer service. It is top notch.

From Engeika, they were very responsive to my questions. Keep in mind the 13 hour time difference. I was very focused on my purchase, but overall Engeika has fewer items to choose from compared to Goulet or Jetpens. The reason you are going to Engeika is to buy a model of Sailor, Platinum or Pilot that you cannot get in your location or to save a large amount of money compared to the local price. Shipping was, knock on wood, reasonably priced and much faster than I expected. I ordered the Pilot CH92 on May 8 and had pen in hand on May 24. I don't plan on buying any new pens for awhile, but if the situation calls for it I would use Engeika without hesitation.

I have no affiliation with any of sellers mentioned in this post.