Thread: Ink samples

Thanks

Default Ink samples

I just heard someone in a YouTube video say that ink samples were useless. But no justification was given to why the person felt that way. They went on to say to buy a full bottle of ink instead of samples.
    I don't understand. I think samples are the better way to go. It seems a waste to buy a bottle and then not like the ink.
    What is your take on buying samples?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,155 Times in 1,103 Posts

Default Re: Ink samples

I never buy samples. I found in the past that purchased ink samples do not always represent what you get from a bottle - maybe evaporation, contamination or even mislabelling may have been the cause; who knows.

I occasionally still exchange samples from full bottles with friends, but mainly I give away rather than receive as I have so many inks.

I think in all my many years of buying bottles I've only bought a handful I didn't like at all. If I find I don't use a bottle I sell it to friends, at pen meetings or via pen forums. Sometimes I use it in a mix.

Somewhere in the hills of eastern Washington
    Thanks

I have no idea which Vlogger you are referring to, but I disagree with the videos assertion, with the exception of inks made by one-man teams who change their ink recipes. Ink samples are awesome.
    "Love is the final fight."

Thanks

I am a firm believer in getting samples first, if possible. Sometimes you either get a full bottle, or you won't get any ink...especially with a limited edition that is selling like hot cakes. Getting samples is addicting though. It has saved me from buying some ink, but it has pushed me into buying others. Sample whatever range you want of colors. Pick out the best ones. Just because some people like it doesn't mean you will. The pen and paper also make a huge difference too, in what an ink will look like. Migo was right about some of the issues with getting samples, but I've found that to be rare. I go through tons of reviews and read them. I look at ink comparisons. I also look at videos if they are available. I have a nice selection, so any I add now will have to be an outstanding ink for me. What some people love, may not do it for me. What I may love, may not be the one for you. I test the ink with more than one pen if I am interested in it, and I try it on different papers too. That way I have a good idea how it will usually work out for me.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to KKay For This Useful Post:

dfo (June 5th, 2017)

Thanks

I have never bought any samples, but that's not counting the Diamine 30ml bottles, which some might call 'samples'. I think of them as 'top-ups'. There are several bottles, of various makes, in the cupboard that I might never use again, but I prefer the full-sized bottle to start with.
    Besides; the majority of my pens are not CC ones, so filling from a sample bottle/phial is not an easy option.
    The Good Captain
    (Gaston F Limoges)
    "Meddler's 'Salamander' - almost as good as the real thing!"

Thanks

Can't imagine why ink samples could be a bad thing - always get some with an order from KWZ ink.

Thanks
    Thanked 10,501 Times in 4,015 Posts

I have lots of samples, and I use many of them. Those that I don't feel are 'for me', I try to give away to others who may want them.

There are some that I know I will never be able to buy a bottle of, (mainly Sailor for certain retailers) so when I get a sample, I chroma test it and make a copy that is as close as possible. At least then I can have it if I want it. So I wouldn't like to be without samples.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,282 Times in 556 Posts

I don't have a strong opinion about buying ink samples. I've bought them, been given them. I've given ink samples away (from samples bought or given and from bottles bought or given).

Sometimes the whim to buy ink samples takes me, and I roll with it. I don't regret buying samples or bottles of ink, even if I end up not liking a particular one, because I'll share it or sell it, depending. Sometimes I give away inks that I really like just because the person who's looking at it seems to like it more. There are so many inks, you know?

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ethernautrix For This Useful Post:

KKay (June 6th, 2017)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Chrissy View Post
    I have lots of samples, and I use many of them. Those that I don't feel are 'for me', I try to give away to others who may want them.
    I do the same as Chrissy. If I end up getting a bottle of the ink, I also top off the original sample and put it in the PIF pile. The only exception is my MB Gandhi sample. I'm not gonna relinquish that from my greedy grasp

12. The Following User Says Thank You to naimitsu For This Useful Post:

KKay (June 6th, 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,193 Times in 1,423 Posts

To each, his or her own. I like samples, but I don't like that they result in nonrecyclable plastic waste. So I reduce those purchases, too.

Thanks

You can give the bottles to a friend, or fill them with ink and then send them to someone. They are great to put spare nibs in too, for storage.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,807 Times in 1,648 Posts

I've bought samples for years. I can't stand spending for the pricier inks without first using them. I use the sample and it goes on my "Buy a Bottle List" if it passes muster. I also enjoy sending "Ink Bombs" to newer members so they can see what they like without committing to a lot of bottles at once.
    "Nolo esse salus sine vobis ...” —St. Augustine

16. The Following User Says Thank You to VertOlive For This Useful Post:

KKay (June 7th, 2017)