Thread: Pilot VP compared to TWSBI

Thanks

Default Pilot VP compared to TWSBI

I am new to serious FP stuff, used a Parker sonnet for signing stuff for 20 years but only just appreciated writing after a serious reliance on Tech, anyway I have a fine nib on a the pilot and the TWSBI mini both look good but the pilot feels scratchy. If I buy a medium on the pilot will it be thin enough for my writing but more pleasurable and therefore similar to the TWSBI F nib and the Parker F nib. Any views?
    I love the pilot for quick notes ability and the TWSBI mini for its portability. can't win really!

Thanks

Default Re: Pilot VP compared to TWSBI

The Pilot nib shouldn't be scratchy! They have a good reputation. Where did you get it from?

But also bear in mind that it is an Asian fine, which will be finer than a European fine (TWSBI, while Asian, uses German nibs), so a medium will be about equivalent.
    "What are moon-letters?" asked the hobbit full of excitement. He loved maps, as I have told you before; and he also loved runes and letters, and cunning handwriting, though when he wrote himself it was a bit thin and spidery.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,223 Times in 599 Posts

I reaaaaallly wish someone would make a nice rang of capless pens with good filling systems and ergonomics at an affordable price...
    Will
    If my p.m box is full, feel free to email me at dabantur@gmail.com.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,080 Times in 4,025 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fountainpenkid View Post
    I reaaaaallly wish someone would make a nice rang of capless pens with good filling systems and ergonomics at an affordable price...
    Yeah, and I want free ice cream for life with no commensurate weight gain. Neither of us is going to get what we want.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,798 Times in 943 Posts

I have the medium and it is more like a fine. A bit dry but that can be adjusted.
    Fountain Pen Sith Lord | Daakusaido | Everything in one spot

Thanks

TWSBI Click? If it ever happens?
    "What are moon-letters?" asked the hobbit full of excitement. He loved maps, as I have told you before; and he also loved runes and letters, and cunning handwriting, though when he wrote himself it was a bit thin and spidery.

Thanks

TWSBI Click? If it ever happens?

I don't see how it could be anything other than C/C, other than maybe an aerometric, and I'd prefer a good squeeze converter to a permanent aerometric thingy.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,223 Times in 599 Posts

You could make a piston filling retractable pen. You would have to remove the end of the body to remove the nib/piston assembly, but it would still be a piston filler in my book.
    Will
    If my p.m box is full, feel free to email me at dabantur@gmail.com.

Thanks

Unless they made it huge, ink capacity would be pathetic. Might as well superglue a converter in place! If you're happy to take the pen apart to fill it and not have very good ink capacity, I don't really see what the objection to a converter is...

Thanks

The CLICK! Glad you brought that up, snedwos! I was wondering whatever happened with it.

While we're wishing for retractables, how about the Rose Gold Stipula DaVinci? I'd like that one please. Anybody have one to trade? Throw in the red Hitchcock and you can have my car.

To the OP: gylo, you're in the right place to learn how to get your VP nib writing the way you want. Mine was also a bit dry, hence scratchy, but easily adjusted. Where there's ink, there's hope.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by gylo View Post
    I love the pilot for quick notes ability and the TWSBI mini for its portability. can't win really!
    Hi gylo,
    Would the Pilot VP Decimo - a thinner version - appeal to you? You can win one on ebay auctions for a little over $100 + shipping.

Let's all hope TWSBI will one day make an affordable retractable, maybe even a demonstrator. One can at least dream.
    Kai

"Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished." -- Lao Tzu