Thread: My first Esterbrook....

Thanks

Default My first Esterbrook....

Well Mr Anderson said I needed an Esterbrook...so I got this one on Ebay...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/190827014535...84.m1439.l2649

jor412

Default Re: My first Esterbrook....

Looks like a good purchase -- nice nib! The nib alone sells for more than your winning bid. What's that on the bottom of the barrel though? I have yet to see a J transitional in real life so I don't know what it's supposed to look like.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,067 Times in 4,019 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jor412 View Post
    What's that on the bottom of the barrel though? I have yet to see a J transitional in real life so I don't know what it's supposed to look like.
    Reasonable purchase, that pen should clean up nicely. As to the bottom of the barrel, that is simply the cross-section of the celluloid, showing the various veins and striations. This is why, for inexpensive pens, I like these a whole heck of a lot more than a No Nonsense or a Phileas: besides the wide variety of the nibs, these pens are actually made with celluloid that varies from pen to pen - no two look exactly alike. I like variety!

Thanks

Nice score, a Toaster top for the first! You'll have to tell us if it's a red jewel when you get it. To find out you shine a bright flashlight at it, and it will be slightly red translucent. No one is quite sure why Esterbrook did this with some of the pens, it's likely a batch variance.
    Wanted: Clever signature
    Apply in person....

jor412

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Szanto View Post
    As to the bottom of the barrel, that is simply the cross-section of the celluloid, showing the various veins and striations.
    oh I see! Thanks. I couldn't quite make it out on my laptop screen -- the bottom seemed to not be flat.

Thanks

That's a nice Transitional J. They have a larger sac, a #18 as opposed a #16 in a J, and no bottom jewel, one less thing to repair and a cool look at the plastic.

Thanks

A great score from the Bay, enjoy your Esterbrook. Once you have one they become addictive.

InCoWri 2018, Letter Writers Alliance Member, Postable link: www.postable.com/bradharris, postcrossing

Thanks

I got it in the mail today, it's beautiful! It needs a sac, which I believe is a 18. I will try and get some pictures up soon.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pajaro View Post
    That's a nice Transitional J. They have a larger sac, a #18 as opposed a #16 in a J, and no bottom jewel, one less thing to repair and a cool look at the plastic.
    Thank you for that information about the correct sac size, pajaro. I wish I had known this a week ago. Everything I read about resacing an Estie "J" said to use a #16 sac. I am new at this and I just resaced a Transitional J; I used a #16 in it. It didn't occur to me that a Transitional J would take a different size sac as it appears to be the same size as the two other "regular" J's I have. The only differences I was aware of were that the Transitional has the 3-band art deco cap jewel (the so-called toaster top) and a flat bottom instead of another jewel. Ignorance is not always bliss! Presumably no harm done except that the sac won't hold as much ink - I hope??

You have yourself a nice looking pen, caleath, and it is very cool that your first Esterbrook is one of the somewhat rarer toaster top models! The wonderful thing about Esties, as I am sure you are aware, is that if you don't like the nib it came with, you can easily replace it with one of the many, many different nibs Esterbrook made for these pens, almost all of which are still readily available, too. Esterbrooks are very addictive, as southpaw52 said, and, so far, they can be had for great prices. Not that I am complaining, but they seem to be under-appreciated by many in the fountain pen world.

I look forward to seeing your photos of your new pen, too. Eye candy is always appreciated, plus the eBay listing says the pen is "green marbled" but it looks sort of grey-brown on my monitor, so hopefully your photos will show the true color. (After all, can't be my monitor that is at fault.... )

Holly
    Last edited by OakIris; April 25th, 2013 at 01:44 PM.

Thanks

I ordered the parts for it today, Brian Anderson said a 16 sacwas what I needed. The pen is grey to me hopefully when i haven't fixed I will be able to get a good picture of it.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by caleath View Post
    I ordered the parts for it today, Brian Anderson said a 16 sac was what I needed. The pen is grey to me hopefully when i haven't fixed I will be able to get a good picture of it.
    Well, if Brian Anderson says the correct sac size for a Transitional "J" is a #16 that is good enough for me!

As I said previously, the pen sure didn't look green to me so I am glad to hear that the pen is actually grey/silver - that is one of the colors on my Estie wish list. (The seller must be either color or spelling challenged!)

I hope you will have use of your pen soon and that you enjoy it as much as I enjoy using my Esties. And yes, photos, please, when you get a chance.

Holly
    Last edited by OakIris; April 25th, 2013 at 01:48 PM.

Thanks

The 16 sac will work fine, and will increase the air space between the sac and the barrel, decreasing the chance of the pen heating up from your hand during use and 'burping' ink.
    Wanted: Clever signature
    Apply in person....

Thanks

Of the 40-50 pens I own, my Esterbrook J's are consistently the most reliable writers that accept the widest range of inks, from thin watery imports to the sticky catfish ones you apply with a trowel.

Nowadays any fountain pen catches the eye of interested non-FP associates, whether it's a $1000 MB or a $15 Estie - and I don't fear handing this pen around for strangers to fondle.

Thanks

I just received my first Estie- a J in green with 9550 extra fine posting nib. Hope you enjoy yours!
    Brad "Words are, of course, the most powerful drug used by mankind" - Rudyard Kipling

"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try." - Mark Twain